15 position players…who goes?

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Right now, he's hitting, as long as he does that he should play. (Same thing applies to O'Hearn)

If/when there comes a time that is no longer the case, we have Cowser to slot in for Hicks. But for now, with the way he is playing, you don't bench that type of production for any reason.

I mean, this is a bit of a fallacy.

That said, he will still play in this scenario.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is one of those threads (like most of them) where what I'd like to see versus what I think they'll actually do are vastly different things.

Definitely true…just a hypothetical.

The thing is, we have a chance to have a better starting lineup and maybe the best bench in MLB. That’s huge.  Just have to figure out a way to get there.

• Upvote 1

Not sure that we see Cowser or Westburg this year unless there’s a trade. To me, this seems to be the optimal lineup once everyone is healthy: 

Mullins CF 

Rutschman C 

Hays RF 

Santander DH 

O’Hearn 1B

Hicks LF

Henderson 3B

Urias 2B 

Ortiz SS 

bench 

Frazier 

Mateo 

Mountcastle

McCann 

If O’hearn and Hicks can keep hitting, that’s not too bad. Maybe you see Westburg or Cowser if one of those guys falls off though. Ideally, we could find a way to package Urias and Mountcastle with a prospect for pitching and then replace them with Westburg and Cowser. Doubt that happens though. 

Edited by RarityFlaherty

I don't even know where to start responding to this one, it is so wide open.  Near future I think a lot depends on how long O'Hearn  and Hicks can continue to do what they are doing.  I want to see Cowser come up but no need to do that if Mullins comes back and Hicks continue to do what he is doing.

I want to see Ortiz get a shot in a starting role and if it doesn't work out then give Westburg a shot.  Mateo is a solid guy to keep around in a bench role. 

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Order of preference assuming no trades:

Option Lester

Option McKenna

Option Mountcastle

Option Ortiz

DFA Mateo

Release Hicks

Release Frazier

You want Hicks released with the way he has been playing? He's hitting .340 since joining the O's. I'm not expecting him to do that or anything close to that for the year. But who could replace him now, while he's playing this well, and put up the type of numbers that he has thus far?

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You ride the hot hand.   You don’t cut back their playing time while they are the best hitter in your lineup.  

O’Hearn needs to be starting every game when the starting pitcher is RHP. O’Hearn’s OPS+ is better than Chris Davis’ 2013 season.

Mountcastle at this point has to be limited to a platoon bat against LHP. I don’t see him being optioned as long as he continues hitting well versus southpaws. 

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

You want Hicks released with the way he has been playing? He's hitting .340 since joining the O's. I'm not expecting him to do that or anything close to that for the year. But who could replace him now, while he's playing this well, and put up the type of numbers that he has thus far?

No, he doesn't. He listed those as his order of priorities. So in the realistic roster move queue, releasing Hicks is near the bottom of that list. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

It is a list of preference, it is his second to last preference. 

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is one of those threads (like most of them) where what I'd like to see versus what I think they'll actually do are vastly different things.

My preference is for Cowser and Westburg to get called up, but I seriously doubt Elias brings up both players with his deliberate approach on promoting prospects.

Why would that be a preference or something that is under consideration at all? 

I could see if he was not producing but right now the man has been playing out of his mind well. And it's not like he is untalented, I believe that he was a top 5 pick at one time.

Starting to accept that unless there are more injuries Cowser and Westburg aren't coming up. So that said when Mullins and Mountcastle come back, Lester and McKenna get sent down. I have soured a bit on Ortiz (I know I know small sample size), but since he's up here, he needs to start getting more chances at SS for Mateo. If he still doesn't produce then swap him for Westburg.

Rotate Santander, Hicks, O'Hearn, Mountcastle at DH. Platoon Santander and Hicks in LF. Platoon Mountcastle and O'Hearn at 1B, while mixing in Santander and Urias there as needed.

Knowing Elias, Ortiz will probably get sent down instead of McKenna.

I don't see Frazier going anywhere unless he completely drops off.

Given the constraints of the scenario:

C Adley

1B O'Hearn

2B Westburg

SS Ortiz

3B Henderson

LF Hays

CF Mullins

RF Cowser

DH Santander

Bench:

Mateo

Hicks

McCann

Urias

Mountcastle would be nice to have but he is on the wrong side of the platoon and has options. Urias and Santander can split reps at first vs LHP. Mateo's speed, defense, and possibly defensive versatility keep him on the roster.