Bowden: Top 100 guys on GMs minds for trades

Sports Guy

https://theathletic.com/4624732/2023/06/21/mlb-trade-deadline-2023-targets-bowden/?source=user_shared_article

5 Os mentioned:

Adam Frazier, Orioles — The Orioles have enough infield depth to dangle Frazier, an impending free agent.

Jorge Mateo, Orioles — Mateo is a tremendous defensive shortstop and among the league’s most prolific base stealers. He just doesn’t hit enough (.227/.266/.360). The O’s are loaded with infielders and could include Mateo in a “buyer-to-buyer” type trade deal for a starting pitcher.

Ramón Urías, 3B, Orioles — I still can’t believe he beat out Chapman to win the AL Gold Glove for third baseman last year. With rookie Gunnar Henderson best-suited for third base, trading Urías in a package for starting pitching makes sense for the Orioles. He’s under team control through 2026.

Austin Hays, LF, Orioles — Hays has hit over .300 all season long — he’s currently batting .327/.366/.527 — and although the Orioles are not looking to trade him, their top outfield prospect, Colton Cowser, is major-league-ready. However, the only way they’d trade Hays is for a No. 2 or  No. 3 type starting pitcher. He’s under team control through 2025.

Anthony Santander, RF, Orioles — As is the case with Hays, the Orioles don’t want to move the switch-hitting Santander, who hit 33 homers last season. However, for the right starting pitcher, they’ll listen to and weigh offers, as they should.

• Upvote 1

Obviously this is Bowdens opinion. I would pay good money to truly know Elias’ thoughts on this strategy. I do think that a mix of trade some prospects and trade from MLB depth would be best for the health of the franchise, but I am just a fan at home and not the boss. So I guess we will see his thoughts through action (or lack there of) in the next month+.

There’s a lot to weigh here.

Mateo and Frazier provide you real bench value in a year where you are contending. What can they can get back that would make you deal them while sacrificing that bench value?

Agree with Bowden that Mateo could have value as part of a package.

Urias is similar but he’s better and he is your insurance policy throughout the IF. 

The 2 OFers are obviously the hardest to trade in a contending year, especially since Hays has been arguably their best player.

That said, neither has a history of reliability or durability and it wouldn’t surprise me if Elias sees this as an opportunity to sell high, ala Lopez last year, and getting Cowser everyday at bats.  If buyer to buyer trades are what is going to need to happen, this becomes a real possibility imo.

I don’t see them moving Urias, Hays or Santander for anyone who can’t help them this year.

3 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Obviously this is Bowdens opinion. I would pay good money to truly know Elias’ thoughts on this strategy. I do think that a mix of trade some prospects and trade from MLB depth would be best for the health of the franchise, but I am just a fan at home and not the boss. So I guess we will see his thoughts through action (or lack there of) in the next month+.

At least you could play GM ;)  

Trading from the top makes sense to some degree.  But I highly doubt Hays or Santander are traded.  And I’m not sure what the Frazier market would look like even if Elias wanted to trade him.  I’m sure we could find a partner for Mateo and Urias if we really wanted.

I don't see contending teams trading away pitching.   Its the non contenders that will see a lot of competition for their pitchers.  And they probably want 6 years of team control from prospects in return.

Anyway there is probably  a month until trade talks get serious.   And we have to see what happens with GRod, Givens, Tate, Hall and other O's pitchers in that time. 

Edited by wildcard

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't see contending teams trading away pitching.   Its the non contenders that will see a lot of competition for their pitchers.  And they probably want 6 years of team control from prospects in return.

Anyway there is probably  a month until trade talks get serious.   And we have to see what happens with GRod, Givens, Tate, Hall and other O's pitchers in that time. 

Contenders that have pitching to trade could absolutely move pitching if they have an offensive need.

These deals are rare. It certainly may not happen but it depends on what is available. If a bunch of teams decide not to sell, it makes it tough to get better and buyer to buyer trades may be the wAy things need to go.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Contenders that have pitching to trade could absolutely move pitching if they have an offensive need.

These deals are rare. It certainly may not happen but it depends on what is available. If a bunch of teams decide not to sell, it makes it tough to get better and buyer to buyer trades may be the wAy things need to go.

Please tell me a contender that has surplus pitching they are willing to trade.

Edited by wildcard

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

There’s a lot to weigh here.

Mateo and Frazier provide you real bench value in a year where you are contending. What can they can get back that would make you deal them while sacrificing that bench value?

Agree with Bowden that Mateo could have value as part of a package.

Urias is similar but he’s better and he is your insurance policy throughout the IF. 

The 2 OFers are obviously the hardest to trade in a contending year, especially since Hays has been arguably their best player.

That said, neither has a history of reliability or durability and it wouldn’t surprise me if Elias sees this as an opportunity to sell high, ala Lopez last year, and getting Cowser everyday at bats.  If buyer to buyer trades are what is going to need to happen, this becomes a real possibility imo.

I don’t see them moving Urias, Hays or Santander for anyone who can’t help them this year.

Wonder if you could move Hays/Santander in the offseason for an Arraez for Lopez type deal.  We thought it would take Mullins, but I think it could be one of these two in a similar move.

Trading Hays or Santander this season would be crazy.  They are too valuable to our lineup right now and there is playing time available for Cowser if they choose to promote him.

The decision on the 3 infielders is tough.  I think my preference would be to trade Frazier of the 3, mostly because I like the idea of Mateo coming off the bench to pinch run late in games and Urias plus defense and flexibility.  However of the 3 Frazier is the only left handed bat so I don't know if that would be considered.  If we can dump his remaining salary to open up payroll (I know this comical given our current payroll) to bring in a veteran pitcher or bat maybe it makes more sense.

4 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Wonder if you could move Hays/Santander in the offseason for an Arraez for Lopez type deal.  We thought it would take Mullins, but I think it could be one of these two in a similar move.

I think a Santander trade this offseason is almost a guarantee.  Will be interesting to see what they can get for him.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Please tell me as contender that has surplus pitching they are willing to trade.

Indians are one definite possibility. They may or may not be a contender in a month but they should still be looked at as the favorite to win that division imo.

8 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Trading Hays or Santander this season would be crazy.  They are too valuable to our lineup right now and there is playing time available for Cowser if they choose to promote him.

The decision on the 3 infielders is tough.  I think my preference would be to trade Frazier of the 3, mostly because I like the idea of Mateo coming off the bench to pinch run late in games and Urias plus defense and flexibility.  However of the 3 Frazier is the only left handed bat so I don't know if that would be considered.  If we can dump his remaining salary to open up payroll (I know this comical given our current payroll) to bring in a veteran pitcher or bat maybe it makes more sense.

I don’t see why it’s crazy if you feel you have the bats to replace them and you value the youth more than those guys.

We also have to question if these guys will hold up the whole year. 

I think it makes more sense to deal Santander but I see the argument for both.

But the key is that you get better elsewhere. If you trade a 3 WAR OFer for a 3 WAR pitcher, have you gotten worse?

The Angels have a ton of a injuries on the left side of the IF right now, so a Urias or Mateo deal to them could be something you do now.

We may or may not get immediate help for them but I think the right deal would cause Elias to trade them regardless, especially Mateo.

It's cool to dunk on Bowden for being a doofus but when he starts laying out trade targets that your team might have, all of a sudden he's some kind of wizard.

I don't think we trade any of these guys, but you never know.  This will be the first season under Elias where the Orioles are a legit contender and he's not obviously trying to add to the rebuild.  

In other words, he's never been able to deal from this position before and I'm not sure if he pulls the trigger on anything other than a minor move.  

That doesn't mean I agree with that, I'm just stating what I think will happen.  IMO, this team needs bullpen pieces in the worst way, we should move someone to get them.

• Upvote 1