Bowden: Top 100 guys on GMs minds for trades

Sports Guy

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see why it’s crazy if you feel you have the bats to replace them and you value the youth more than those guys.

We also have to question if these guys will hold up the whole year. 

I think it makes more sense to deal Santander but I see the argument for both.

But the key is that you get better elsewhere. If you trade a 3 WAR OFer for a 3 WAR pitcher, have you gotten worse?

I don't think we have the bats to replace them and I am not ready to count on Hicks to do what he has been doing the rest of the season.

29 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Please tell me as contender that has surplus pitching they are willing to trade.

Taking a broad view defining "contender":  Guardians, Marlins, Cubs, Cardinals, White Sox, and Angels.  I think LAD would be interested in Mateo/Urias too (though I'm not sure what pitching they're willing to give up other than the shell of Thor).  Each have gaps in their offense/defense and MIGHT be willing to give up an SP for help in the other parts of the team build.  

I wonder why Bowden didn't have Mountcastle in this group.

It’s still too early. The central divisions are a mess, so they aren’t that many clear sellers right now. 

If Grayson turns things around and is on par with the rest of our SPs, is there even a SP that will be available that is so much better than what we have? Or worth something like Cowser and Westburg?

I get the argument of why go into the playoffs and be decent sized underdogs based solely on SP matchups, but… are we really that outgunned?  Heck, we’ve been underdogs in games this year where we really shouldn’t have. 

Overall, I still think the best fit is probably Lucas Giolito. I also don’t want to shorten what could be a really good 6-8 year run, for 2.5 months of a rental SP, that only slightly moves the needle. I still have faith that Grayson puts it together and makes it a moot point. 

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think the question really is, who would you rather see dealt…Westburg, Ortiz, et al or Hays/Santander?

That could be a question Elias has to answer. 

I think I would be surprised if any of those guys gets traded.  I don't have an issue with trading one of Ortiz or Westburg in the right deal I just doubt it happens.

My guess is guys in the next tier down get moved to upgrade the major league club.... Norby, Stowers, Prieto these are the types of guys I see getting traded.  I will also be sad if Norby gets traded but that's just me.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So in summary, Bowden thinks we need to trade for a starting pitcher.   

I'd trade Mateo, Frazier, Urias, and DL Hall (either multiple players packaged in the same deal, or seperately) for relievers. I don't think anyone would be interested in Frazier, but trading them for bullpen help is realistic, not difficult to pull off, and can be done with a trading partner that is either a contender or building for the future (in Hall's case).

5 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I don't think we have the bats to replace them and I am not ready to count on Hicks to do what he has been doing the rest of the season.

I don’t disagree about Hicks but definitely disagree about the first part.

And again, even if runs scored goes down slightly but runs prevented goes up, you are still fine.

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

I think I would be surprised if any of those guys gets traded.  I don't have an issue with trading one of Ortiz or Westburg in the right deal I just doubt it happens.

My guess is guys in the next tier down get moved to upgrade the major league club.... Norby, Stowers, Prieto these are the types of guys I see getting traded.  I will also be sad if Norby gets traded but that's just me.

Ultimately, that would be what is best for the team. We agree there.

However, if they are looking at some top tier guys, it’s possible that a team says, we want Westburg or Hays. You can choose which one but one of them needs to be in the deal.

Is the WS winnable this year for us?  Can we catch TB?  Injuries to Adley or SP seem like the only places we don’t have immediate depth. July 31 will be a much clearer picture. If the division and home field is realistic, then maybe we do go for it. TB is just so deep too. Idk, how Texas is doing it. 

It wouldn’t be too crazy to see the Twins fall out of it and make Lopez available. But in what scenario are they 5 GB+ in their division in 5 weeks?  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I think the best prospect I would be willing to deal this deadline is Hall.

Hall, Stowers, Norby, Haskin, Mateo and Prieto are guys that likely have varying degrees of value that I would be looking to move. 

Hurr, Hurr, trade a guy I don't want on the team.

Other teams are stupid.

Barring the revelation of a serious injury you couldn't ask for Hall's trade value to be lower than it is now.  Other teams know he's lost velocity.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Is the WS winnable this year for us?  Can we catch TB?  Injuries to Adley or SP seem like the only places we don’t have immediate depth. July 31 will be a much clearer picture. If the division and home field is realistic, then maybe we do go for it. TB is just so deep too. Idk, how Texas is doing it. 

It wouldn’t be too crazy to see the Twins fall out of it and make Lopez available. But in what scenario are they 5 GB+ in their division in 5 weeks?  

Get to the WS and sure, it could happen.  Are this year's O's worse than last year's Phillies?

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think the best prospect I would be willing to deal this deadline is Hall.

Hall, Stowers, Norby, Haskin, Mateo and Prieto are guys that likely have varying degrees of value that I would be looking to move. 

It doesn’t sound like a sexy list, but I agree. I’d rather give up a package of those players than one of our future centerpieces. And yes, every O’s fan probably over values them. But… I also think we’re overvaluing the need to include Cowser or Westburg in a deal for a rental SP. Teams just don’t trade away prospects like that anymore, and I doubt Elias does. 

Just remember, spare parts for us, are actually pretty solid parts for other teams. I know shocking, but we’ve gotten there. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hurr, Hurr, trade a guy I don't want on the team.

Other teams are stupid.

Barring the revelation of a serious injury you couldn't ask for Hall's trade value to be lower than it is now.  Other teams know he's lost velocity.

Yeah, I don't really consider Hall a prospect anymore.

Unless the definition of a prospect is a guy that doesn't have a lot of ML experience or hasn't proven himself at the ML level.  Using that big of an umbrella, sure, he is a prospect.  

• Upvote 1