When is the best time to call up rookies?

Sports Guy

Just now, RarityFlaherty said:

And? Does that change anything I just said? Not sure why you all have such a stick up your ass about Frazier being on the team and have to attack anyone who’s just trying to see the little bit of value that he has. 

I don't want someone that makes a lot of outs as my bench bat.

He's not a good hitter.  When the game is on the line I don't want the guy off the bench to have an 84 OPS+.

And how am I attacking anyone?  I'm providing evidence.

He doesn't have any plus tools at this stage in his career.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

They still would?

Do you think Frazier is going to stop in the middle of an inning and drop some sage advice that can't wait until the inning is over?  I'm at a loss as to what the scenario you are positing looks like.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmHy-H9gkge/?igshid=Y2I2MzMwZWM3ZA==

For some reasons this back and forth reminded me of this funny IG guy.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't want someone that makes a lot of outs as my bench bat.

He's not a good hitter.  When the game is on the line I don't want the guy off the bench to have an 84 OPS+.

And how am I attacking anyone?  I'm providing evidence.

He doesn't have any plus tools at this stage in his career.

And I’m just explaining what I think the front office sees as his value. Not really arguing with you or anyone else. 

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

He's 0-11 with 5 K's. I hope it's not an automatic as to when he comes back. 

I mean yes but this is the Orioles. They love struggling lefties

edit: meant struggling players don't know why i said lefties (maybe I miss chris davis subconsciously

Edited by Orioles0615

There’s no reason to keep putting Mateo out there. His pathetic offense is too much for his glove to overcome. Same with Frazier except his glove isn’t that good, either.

These two are not good and could pretty easily be replaced with better options. Just gotta have the stones to pull the trigger.

Gunnar 3B

Ortiz SS

Westburg 2B

I would also try to trade Hays + for a pitcher and put Cowser in left field. 

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

There’s no reason to keep putting Mateo out there. His pathetic offense is too much for his glove to overcome. Same with Frazier except his glove isn’t that good, either.

These two are not good and could pretty easily be replaced with better options. Just gotta have the stones to pull the trigger.

Gunnar 3B

Ortiz SS

Westburg 2B

I would also try to trade Hays + for a pitcher and put Cowser in left field. 

I was with you right up to trading Hays

The Orioles have gone 12-12 since the end of the Yankee series in late May.  I would say that’s a long enough stretch to justify shaking things up some without worrying about disrupting a streaking team.

Not too optimistic that we will see those changes considering Ortiz is here now and can’t even get on the field.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

The difference is that if you stick with the struggling veteran, you get to keep both the veteran and the rookie in your organization. 

If you go with the (possibly) struggling rookie, you’ll have to jettison the struggling veteran. 

I continue to believe that Elias is still viewing things through the lens of the organization as a whole, rather than one with a primary/sole focus on the ML team. I think his goal continues to be to accumulate as much depth — as many potential assets as possible.

In other words, I think he frames the choice as (a) keep both Frazier and Westburg, with Frazier playing at the ML level or (b) only keep Westburg and play him at the ML level. Same deal with Mateo/Ortiz, Perez/Vespi, etc.

You can still keep Mateo and Frazier. 

I'm glad Lester got a chance to fill in for a few, and hopefully he'll qualify for the benefits and whatever else a MLB player has coming...but he's a guy that can be moved. I think McKenna still has options. 

Bringing up worthy and qualified real talent from AAA does not have to be an "either or" situation. 

I don't care about the playoffs this season. I'm more interested in seeing who fits where, and what needs will have to be filled through trades and FA. Honestly, I don't care about Cowser coming up as much as I'd rather see Westburg up. There's 2 way underperforming positions on the IF that he could possibly help fill...at least 1 of them.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Yeah both Burnes and Hyde said after the game it's because Burnes is going on regular rest to start the first WC game and so he was shortened up a bit. 
    • You seem to pine for guys in AAA and then (with one notable exception) judge them very harshly if they don’t perform well instantly in the majors.  This is not the time to start experimenting with Young, and that’s no reflection on him at all IMO.
    • I agree with the part about Elias. He needs to operate with a little more humility (regarding his bullpen approach) and pivot in the offense regarding how he puts a pen together. He needs to get away from the arrogant thinking in believing that we are always "the smartest guys in the room" and can fix other teams junk/unwanted parts. That is fine to do some time (regardless of how much you spend). But you can't construct an entire pen made of castoffs and almost no guys with elite/power/strikeout stuff. Yes it worked great with Felix, Perez/Lopez in 22', Cano in 23'. But the problem is that we are in '24. And some of those lightening in the bottle guys have reverted back to what their talent says that they are - mediocre. We have a pen full of decent/league average/mediocre arms. That's not what you really want heading into October.
    • Also, since there’s another interesting discussion going on here, I think it’s time for Hyde to have an uncomfortable conversation with Adley. I hate everything I’m about to say, because Adley is my favorite Oriole. But we have to acknowledge where we are.  Over the last few months, the only sensible approach with Adley — other than the IL, which apparently he hasn’t been eligible for — has been to keep penciling him into the lineup almost everyday and hoping he figures it out. He has a track record of consistent lifelong excellence, so it’s felt like just a matter of time before he busts the slump and rights the ship.  But he hasn’t. Adley’s line over the last 3 months, almost half a season now, is so bad that it requires a double check to be sure it’s right: .186 / .274 / .278 / .552. A 61 wRC+. And -0.2 fWAR. He has been a below replacement player for 3 months now. He has been the 3rd-worst qualified hitter in baseball over that span, and the 7th-worst overall qualified player. The “qualified” part does make it a little misleading — most of the guys who’ve been this bad have long since been benched. I think you have to consider McCann, at least in Burnes’s starts. He’s been hitting a bit (114 wRC+ since the ASB), and even if he wasn’t on a bit of a heater, his normal baseline is still better than a .552 OPS. If you do continue to play him full-time, you just can’t treat him like he’s *Adley* anymore. You have to treat him like the bad backup catcher he’s been. He has to hit at the bottom of the order. The very bottom. There’s really no reasoned basis upon which you could want to have him get more ABs than guys like Mullins or Urias right now. And you have to PH for him liberally — whichever of Kjerstad/O’Hearn doesn’t start should be looking at Adley’s slot as their most likely opportunity.  As I said, I love Adley. It’s been brutal watching him. But there are 25 other guys on the team who deserve the best shot to win a ring. And that means you can’t just keep stubbornly handing all the ABs to a guy who is desperately lost, on the blind hope that he’ll suddenly find it. 
    • I didn’t post it in the game thread no, but I’m also not looking for credit. I thought it was a bad move at the time to remove Burnes in the first place, and choosing Cano at that point after he’d been bombed by those exact hitters, felt odd and off to me. The only real defense I could come up with was who if not Cano?  But taking Burnes out is essentially admitting that winning that night wasnt your top priority anyway, so why not also rest Cano, who you absolutely need in the playoffs and has pitched a lot?  I just didn’t get it in real time, and I still don’t. 
    • I was at a meeting and came out to the Orioles down 1-0. I looked away for what seemed like a minute and it was 5-0, then 7-0. Do we know why Burnes was lifted after just 69 pitches after 5 innings? Was he hurt? Do we know why Cano was brought into the game in the 6th (Have to imagine his adrenaline may not have been as flowing at that stage of the game)?  Obviously the bullpen was pretty horrific last night, but could some of this be because Hyde was using guys who typically are late in game relievers in the 6th inning?  
  • Popular Contributors