AL Rookie of the Year Watch

Aristotelian

An extra pick for Gunner would be so clutch. Especially since we'll probably have the 28-30th pick in the 1st round next year; earning an extra pick, especially with the Comp Balance pick is a nice little nest of picks that are going to be ranged 28- 50

• Upvote 1

They can let Yoshida win. A 30-year-old rookie making 15.6M dollars per year is 2 full wins below our 22-year-old making 723k a year. If it makes Boston feel better about spending 70M dollars on a sub-2 WAR player that Yoshida wins ROY, more power to them.

25 minutes ago, Malike said:

They can let Yoshida win. A 30-year-old rookie making 15.6M dollars per year is 2 full wins below our 22-year-old making 723k a year. If it makes Boston feel better about spending 70M dollars on a sub-2 WAR player that Yoshida wins ROY, more power to them.

I still want the pick

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Malike said:

I’d rather not have Gunnar come In second and we lose the year and also don’t get the pick. He deserves to be ROTY at this date in time. 

10 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-prospect-promotion-incentive-rookie-year-cba/ja5ts8eaxcuv85xujnzriafb

He gets a year of service time if he finishes Top 2.

We only get the pick if he wins (and was on the OD roster).

He'll get a year of service time no matter where he finishes in the ROY, since he was on the OD roster. It would only make a difference for him if he had been called up a few weeks/months into the season, like with Adley or Michael Harris II last year.

14 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

He'll get a year of service time no matter where he finishes in the ROY, since he was on the OD roster. It would only make a difference for him if he had been called up a few weeks/months into the season, like with Adley or Michael Harris II last year.

That's interesting, thank you. I misunderstood the rule. I thought a whole year was granted, not just completing the year. 

8 minutes ago, survivedc said:

No, we lose it. Should’ve just kept him down. Imagine we’ll only have 5 years left after this.

No.

That's not how it works.

If you finish near the top you are rewarded with a full year of service time for the current season.

You don't get a two for one deal. 

Instead of .7 a season or whatever it was, Adley was given a full season.

It's meant to deter teams from playing service time games.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think Gunnar is clearly the favorite now.  The team success of the O’s will play a role. 

It will help if they start him at Shortstop all through the playoffs and don't move him around. Every recent World Series team, as far as I know, has had the same starting shortstop all through the post season and has not platooned the position.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

No.

That's not how it works.

If you finish near the top you are rewarded with a full year of service time for the current season.

You don't get a two for one deal. 

Instead of .7 a season or whatever it was, Adley was given a full season.

It's meant to deter teams from playing service time games.

Yes, thank you, I was being sarcastic.

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

It will help if they start him at Shortstop all through the playoffs and don't move him around. Every recent World Series team, as far as I know, has had the same starting shortstop all through the post season and has not platooned the position.

Pretty sure votes are collected before the playoffs start and that the postseason has no bearing on the voting outcome. 

• Upvote 1