So who goes for Mountcastle?

dystopia

12 hours ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I'm not a Mountcastle-apologist, I certainly think he should get more time to get himself right in AAA, but this is a strange argument in my opinion. He's had 11 ABs in AAA, and he's hitless, I get that. But did you agree with bringing back Cedric Mullins after he had 10 ABs in AAA on rehab and had a single hit to show for them? Mountcastle needs time, at Norfolk, I absolutely agree, but saying he is terrible in AAA after 12 ABs is a bit weak. 

Cedric Mullins has been a very good hitter for the O's this season (though his timing looked off yesterday). Mountcastle has not (save for 2/3 monster games this year).

17 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If Mountcastle was in an arbitration year could he be sent down.  I always thought the options were only for your 1st 3 years in the majors, obviously a year could be 1 day in a year.

Nope.  I believe you can’t be optioned after 5 years of service, but before that it’s fair game.  I remember that the Brewers optioned JJ Hardy to the minors for 17 days in 2009, which left him 8 days shy of 5 years of service.  Fangraphs was not amused.

Mountcastle to the Phillies makes a ton of sense.  They need RH bats, 1B help.  Big change of scenery play and a park better suited for RH pull power.  Probably regret this trade but Os have depth and ultimately plenty of options to enable this type of trade.  Not sure who you get back.  This would also create a path for Westburg to be RHH INF at 1B/2B/SS/3B.  IMO decision comes down to who is better RHH Westburg or Mountcastle and who provides more defensive flexibility/upside. 

Edited by Pat Kelly

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nope.  I believe you can’t be optioned after 5 years of service, but before that it’s fair game.  I remember that the Brewers optioned JJ Hardy to the minors for 17 days in 2009, which left him 8 days shy of 5 years of service.  Fangraphs was not amused.

a player with 5 years of Major League service may not be sent to the minors on an optional assignment without his consent.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/league-info/transactions-glossary/

But if the player consents his option can be used with 5 years of service time.

13 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

Mountcastle to the Phillies makes a ton of sense.  They need RH bats, 1B help.  Big change of scenery play and a park better suited for RH pull power.  Probably regret this trade but Os have depth and ultimately plenty of options to enable this type of trade.  Not sure who you get back.  This would also create a path for Westburg to be RHH INF at 1B/2B/SS/3B.  IMO decision comes down to who is better RHH Westburg or Mountcastle and who provides more defensive flexibility/upside. 

Houston needs a 1st baseman badly. 

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

a player with 5 years of Major League service may not be sent to the minors on an optional assignment without his consent.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/league-info/transactions-glossary/

But if the player consents his option can be used with 5 years of service time.

Thanks. I knew that, but accidentally levy out that detail.  I wonder how often a player has consented to be optioned.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thanks. I knew that, but accidentally levy out that detail.  I wonder how often a player has consented to be optioned.  

I have seen it happen.  Can't remember who it was.   The manager comes to the player and says I am going to have to DFA you if you don't agree to being optioned.   The player makes the decision if he wants to stay in the org or not.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I have seen it happen.  Can't remember who it was.   The manager comes to the player and says I am going to have to DFA you if you don't agree to being optioned.   The player makes the decision if he wants to stay in the org or not.

I think it’s happened, too.   I’m just wondering how often.  

1 hour ago, Pat Kelly said:

Phillies have some of the best pitching prospects in baseball.  Obviously Mountcastle wouldn't bring one of those back, but it would make sense to expand the trade to get more pitching prospects.