Sunday, June 25: Rubber match vs Mariners

SteveA

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

That's what Mateo can give you. He has been horrible with the bat for almost 2 months. But as they say "speed doesn't slump".

For sure.  If he could just get on base at a higher rate he'd be a very dangerous weapon.  Speed doesn't slump, but if it's not on the bases it doesn't help you very much.  Would love to see him start becoming productive with the bat again, and it's encouraging so far today.  

9 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I guess I don't understand comments like this.   He gave up some runs.   Like just about every pitcher who is going to pitch today.

We're 14 starts into his season, he has an ERA in the 3s, a WHIP of 1.26, and about 1 HR every 10 innings, 8.3 Ks/9.   That's good.   By "look bad" you mean that he might throw a fat pitch here or there that a MLB hitter will get hold of?   Most pitchers do.

He's an above average major league starter, not yet a top of the rotation ace but certainly one of our better starters.  

He'll have a bad start every once in a while.   Like just about every starter.   Look at what Corbin Burnes, Sandy Alcantara, Justin Verlander, and many others are doing this year.

I feel pretty good when Bradish is taking the mound.    Probably as much as any pitcher in our rotation.

I don't dislike Bradish as a back end starter. IMO he's a decent "5 and dive guy". But he is not even in the same category as compared to Burnes, Alcantara, or Verlander. Those guys have won Cy Youngs and made multiple all star games.