Orioles calling up Westburg.

Brian88

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think its a simple as Law makes it in the article.    I expect to see Gunnar at 3B, Mateo at SS. Westburg at 2B and Urias at 1B tonight.

I would imagine that could be the main left-handed lineup with Hicks in RF and Santander at DH.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’re really that into Westburg?  There’s a handful of guys for whom I felt that way about their debut - Wieters, Manny, Adley, Gunnar.  I can’t say I put Westburg in that class in terms of “must see” debuts.  As it happens, I’m out of town and won’t see Westburg’s debut, but it’s not really that big a deal to me.  

That just sounds like jealousy.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It was the same for Stowers (not that big of a difference) yet the Orioles never played him against left-handers. 

I'm hopeful Westburg will see regular playing time between 3B and 2B with Gunnar moving to SS when he plays 3B. 

With the Orioles you really know how they will handle a rookie. Will he get the Henderson-Adley treatment or the Stowers-Ortiz treatment? Time will tell.

Still bugs me about both Stowers and Ortiz.   Never given a shot.   

• Upvote 2

Just now, Tony-OH said:

With the Orioles you really know how they will handle a rookie. Will he get the Henderson-Adley treatment or the Stowers-Ortiz treatment? Time will tell.

I think you left out the word “never.”  But you put your finger right on it.  You can throw Vavra on the Stowers-Ortiz side too.   I do think there might be room for something in between with Westburg, but who knows?

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’re really that into Westburg?  There’s a handful of guys for whom I felt that way about their debut - Wieters, Manny, Adley, Gunnar.  I can’t say I put Westburg in that class in terms of “must see” debuts.  As it happens, I’m out of town and won’t see Westburg’s debut, but it’s not really that big a deal to me.  

It's not that I'm that much into him, it's a culmination of things:

Not having to watch Frazier (most likely) or Mateo (a little less likely).

Another step towards fielding a team of young players with a lot of upside.  Hopefully this time next year our lineup is consisting of Gunnar, Adley, Westburg, Cowser, Kjerstad, maybe even Holliday.

We're coming off a 2 win series against the Mariners.  5-5 over the last 10, need to pick that up.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I just expect him to be a much better offensive option than Frazier.... eventually. Maybe not right off the bat, but eventually.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sorry you will miss Westburg's 3 homer, 12 RBI performance tonight.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

By my count the 40 man roster is full.  Godoy took Garrett place on the 40 man.

I am guessing that Godoy is DFA'd and Ortiz is optioned to AAA.   With Gunnar, Urias, Mateo, Frazier and Westburg on the roster Ortiz is unlikely to see playing time with the O's.   And Elias wants him to play.  JMG

And when Mountcastle returns? 

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

By my count the 40 man roster is full.  Godoy took Garrett place on the 40 man.

I am guessing that Godoy is DFA'd and Ortiz is optioned to AAA.   With Gunnar, Urias, Mateo, Frazier and Westburg on the roster Ortiz is unlikely to see playing time with the O's.   And Elias wants him to play.  JMG

Ah, you are right. I skipped the IL guys so some moves are necessary. I agree Godoy, maybe Lester.

Just now, Fan4Life said:

I think "when" is an overstatement... Whether he is still having vertigo, something other issue, or just poor performance, he is not forcing the issue and he has an option.

Regardless, we can still option the other of Ortiz/McKenna to make room for Mountcastle without DFA anyone. 

If Ortiz and McKenna are both optioned, it gets very tricky. Then it would come down to Mateo and Urias. I personally would keep Mateo.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

That could take a month and things will change.   I think he has to correct his plate discipline. 

A month from now the trade deadline will be in full motion.  Not suggesting Mountcastle will go but someone might.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That could take a month and things will change.   I think he has to correct his plate discipline. 

A month from now the trade deadline will be in full motion.  Not suggesting Mountcastle will go but someone might.

I think if he could correct his plate discipline he would’ve done so by now. It’s not like it’s a choice to be a hacker. He just doesn’t identify pitches early enough to know if they’re balls or strikes. 

• Upvote 1