Orioles calling up Westburg.

Brian88

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Ortiz should be livid.  They have barely given him a chance and then an obvious chance comes up and he is either going down or sitting the bench some more.  

Livid doesn't help him.  If he goes down he should hit and be ready for his next opportunity.

I refuse to believe this ISN'T the plan until it's proven otherwise, based on track record:

• Westburg provides more pop than Ortiz against the two LH SPs in the Reds series, and he's been playing consistently at AAA unlike Ortiz. Therefore, the Orioles are more comfortable having Westburg in the lineup. 
  • Ortiz goes down for now.
  • Westburg is only here until Mountcastle returns. 
  • Westburg is ultimately treated as another option in the rotating matchup roster spot (Ortiz, Vavra, Stowers, Lester, etc.). 

I've been fooled too many times to really believe that Westburg will truly supplant one of the IFers until there's an injury or trade. Right now, he's basically going to replace Mountcastle because they want someone with pop vs these LH SPs. Once Mounty remembers how to hit, he'll be back up and Westburg will go back down. 

As it stands, I don't really buy that the O's think of Westburg like they do Adley and Gunnar. I just don't. I hope I'm wrong! 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I think if he could correct his plate discipline he would’ve done so by now. It’s not like it’s a choice to be a hacker. He just doesn’t identify pitches early enough to know if they’re balls or strikes. 

He's Mateo with more power. 

And less speed.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I think if he could correct his plate discipline he would’ve done so by now. It’s not like it’s a choice to be a hacker. He just doesn’t identify pitches early enough to know if they’re balls or strikes. 

Its going to take some work.  Work he has not needed to do to stay in the majors up until now.   But I think he will realize that he has to hit better to get back to the majors.

Seems like we don't see has many fly out to left this year compared to last year.   Some O's players have made an adjustment.  Mountcastle has to make that adjustment.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Its going to take some work.  Work he has not needed to do to stay in the majors up until now.   But I think he will realize that he has to hit better to get back to the majors.

Seems like we don't see has many fly out to left this year compared to last year.   Some O's players have made an adjustment.  Mountcastle has to make that adjustment.

When last seen, Mountcastle couldn't hit off the batting tee.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I refuse to believe this ISN'T the plan until it's proven otherwise, based on track record:

• Westburg provides more pop than Ortiz against the two LH SPs in the Reds series, and he's been playing consistently at AAA unlike Ortiz. Therefore, the Orioles are more comfortable having Westburg in the lineup. 
  • Westburg is treated as another option in the rotating matchup roster spot (Ortiz, Vavra, Stowers, Lester, etc.). 

I've been fooled too many times to really believe that Westburg will truly supplant one of the IFers until there's an injury or trade. Right now, he's basically going to replace Mountcastle because they want someone with pop vs these LH SPs. Once Mounty remembers how to hit, he'll be back up and Westburg will go back down. 

As it stands, I don't really buy that the O's think of Westburg like they do Adley and Gunnar. I just don't. I hope I'm wrong! 

I'd like to think that they don't let this news get leaked a day early to a writer as prominent as Passan if the intention is to treat him like they've treated Ortiz or Stowers. It's the O's, so you never know, but that part of it feels different.

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

• Westburg is treated as another option in the rotating matchup roster spot (Ortiz, Vavra, Stowers, Lester, etc.). 

This is the most realistic take on what they will do.  Hope you're wrong though. 

5 minutes ago, deward said:

I'd like to think that they don't let this news get leaked a day early to a writer as prominent as Passan if the intention is to treat him like they've treated Ortiz or Stowers. It's the O's, so you never know, but that part of it feels different.

Maybe, but it depends on how the Orioles view the guy, not the press. I don't think they view him 100% like Stowers, but I don't see why they wouldn't continue to play the roster roulette matchup game when they have so many healthy ML infielders that they like. 

Westburg is going to need to pull an O'Hearn and flat out mash, but he's not going to get nearly the amount of chances that O'Hearn did because he bats right-handed. 

The best chance Westburg has of sticking is an Elias mandate for Hyde to play the kid. If not, Hyde is going to default to Urias and Frazier and Mateo against RHP. So I don't really see why Westburg would get more ABs than Ortiz in the end. He should, of course. But I'm going to have to see it to believe it first. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Livid doesn't help him.  If he goes down he should hit and be ready for his next opportunity.

He'd have to not be human not to be a bit frustrated that they don't seem to want to give him any chances, even when the guys in front of him aren't contributing.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Maybe, but it depends on how the Orioles view the guy, not the press. I don't think they view him 100% like Stowers, but I don't see why they wouldn't continue to play the roster roulette matchup game when they have so many healthy ML infielders that they like. 

Westburg is going to need to pull an O'Hearn and flat out mash, but he's not going to get nearly the amount of chances that O'Hearn did because he bats right-handed. 

The best chance Westburg has of sticking is an Elias mandate for Hyde to play the kid. If not, Hyde is going to default to Urias and Frazier and Mateo. So I don't really see why Westburg would get more ABs than Ortiz in the end. He should, of course. But I'm going to have to see it to believe it first. 

That’s a reasonable position to take. Everything we’ve seen shows Hyder prefers his poorly performing veterans over unproven rookies. I’d hope that Westburg is different but I won’t hold my breath. 

Just now, interloper said:

My point was that they seemed to want this news out there. This feels planned. Why sit him on Sunday, leak the news Sunday night, and give the press a full day to get headlines up about this particular promotion if they don't intend to play him? We all know how tight-lipped the warehouse is these days - I don't think this gets handed to Passan unless they intended to try and build a little buzz. Hopefully that means they'll be giving Westburg every opportunity to take a job from Mateo or Frazier.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, deward said:

My point was that they seemed to want this news out there. This feels planned. Why sit him on Sunday, leak the news Sunday night, and give the press a full day to get headlines up about this particular promotion if they don't intend to play him? We all know how tight-lipped the warehouse is these days - I don't think this gets handed to Passan unless they intended to try and build a little buzz. Hopefully that means they'll be giving Westburg every opportunity to take a job from Mateo or Frazier.

Yeah that's a reasonable theory based on how secretive the O's usually are. I certainly hope you're right! We'll have to see how it plays out.