Orioles calling up Westburg.

Brian88

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

I hear your suggestion and don't mean any disrespect to you, as I recognize your status as one of the longtime posters on this board. I have been been reading and learning from your post well before I ever decide to join this board and start posting, like for years.

Now it's possible that I could be reading this wrong, but I read in what you wrote a tone of dictation, almost like you are attempting to tell me what to do. That's probably not going to work well for me.

My post was unnecessarily snarky sounding and I spologize.  Really I’m just saying that the timetable for prospects will depend in part on how they do, and I’m always wary of assuming that everything will go perfectly, even for a great prospect.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My post was unnecessarily snarky sounding and I spologize.  Really I’m just saying that the timetable for prospects will depend in part on how they do, and I’m always wary of assuming that everything will go perfectly, even for a great prospect.  

Apology accepted. That’s a fair point. We have no certainty or knowledge of the future and there are too many variables and unpredictable elements that can affect the outcome to reasonably predict with any measure of certainty.

I hope Holliday and ALL of our prospects reach whatever their ceiling/potential suggests they can be.

The good news here is that Westburg is in the lineup at 3B with Henderson moving to SS against the first righty they see. 

So it appears at least that Westburg is going to get more of the Adley-Gunnar playing time as a rookie vs the Stowers-Ortiz experience.

While I do think this will move around some, Mateo is the first to lose playing time to Westburg between him and Frazier. I would have done the opposite personally, but we very well may see Mateo and Frazier each losing time to keep Westburg on the field.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The good news here is that Westburg is in the lineup at 3B with Henderson moving to SS against the first righty they see. 

So it appears at least that Westburg is going to get more of the Adley-Gunnar playing time as a rookie vs the Stowers-Ortiz experience.

While I do think this will move around some, Mateo is the first to lose playing time to Westburg between him and Frazier. I would have done the opposite personally, but we very well may see Mateo and Frazier each losing time to keep Westburg on the field.

Was happy last night when Hyde PH Frazier for Mateo, instead of for Westburg at the end of the game.  Thought that meant the writing was on the wall for today's lineup (ie Mateo out, Westburg stays in) and that seems to be the case.

I wonder if moving Ramon over to first affects (effects?  that's one grammar thing I never can get straight) their desire to bring Mountcastle back.  I would think a Urias/O'Hearn platoon - not to mention Santander over there -  for now could work pretty well and buy them as much time as they need to sort that out.

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Tony,

I think it was a BIG CLUE when Westburg was not pinch hit for in the 7th inning last night. Almost all of the RH batters were removed from the game during that stretch except for Westburg and Austin Hays. This said to me that they are planning on treating Westburg as a regular,

But to your point, it appears that there will be a platoon right now between Mateo and Frazier. Against RHP Frazier will start at 2B and against LHP Mateo will start at SS. Henderson and Westburg will be the constants while changing positions.

13 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Was happy last night when Hyde PH Frazier for Mateo, instead of for Westburg at the end of the game.  Thought that meant the writing was on the wall for today's lineup (ie Mateo out, Westburg stays in) and that seems to be the case.

I wonder if moving Ramon over to first affects (effects?  that's one grammar thing I never can get straight) their desire to bring Mountcastle back.  I would think a Urias/O'Hearn platoon - not to mention Santander over there -  for now could work pretty well and buy them as much time as they need to sort that out.

In general, affect is a verb and effect is a noun.

18 minutes ago, deward said:

In general, affect is a verb and effect is a noun.

Yeah I've been told that a billion times, I just can't ever remember which way it goes when the time comes to use it, LOL.  Thanks though.

At least I apparently got it right this time!

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Yeah I've been told that a billion times, I just can't ever remember which way it goes when the time comes to use it, LOL.  Thanks though.

At least I apparently got it right this time!

I have the same problem, I had to go look it up just to make sure I was remembering correctly. 

53 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

But to your point, it appears that there will be a platoon right now between Mateo and Frazier. Against RHP Frazier will start at 2B and against LHP Mateo will start at SS. Henderson and Westburg will be the constants while changing positions.

That's what I've been hoping for, Frazier and Mateo job share. I think Westburg gets one game a week off but otherwise, I hope they play Westburg at 2nd and 3rd and move Henderson between SS and 3B. 

On 6/26/2023 at 6:14 AM, Bemorewins said:

Nobody’s going to want Akin. Maybe a package of Ortiz and Stowers could get you Aroldis Chapman? Maybe?

As talented as AC is, I would pass. Not an industry insider, so my opinion is speculative.

Culture is a big thing with the O’s and likely a good indicator on the last 12 months of success, verses the Pythagorean win/loss expectations. Starting to theorize the Orioles MO with the FO on down is statistically and psychologically based, beyond our current environment of understanding.

I agree that Akin is not a high commodity, but his release would be picked up by a number of mlb rosters, imo.

Yes, Stowers might bear more fruit, we shall see! Let’s Go O’s!

1 minute ago, Since1984 said:

As talented as AC is, I would pass. Not an industry insider, so my opinion is speculative.

Culture is a big thing with the O’s and likely a good indicator on the last 12 months of success, verses the Pythagorean win/loss expectations. Starting to theorize the Orioles MO with the FO on down is statistically and psychologically based, beyond our current environment of understanding.

I agree that Akin is not a high commodity, but his release would be picked up by a number of mlb rosters, imo.

Yes, Stowers might bear more fruit, we shall see! Let’s Go O’s!

If Aroldis Chapman is the best reliever that we can acquire then sign me up.

The best contributor to culture is success/winning. We are not that kind of org any more who needs to be perfect on the edges because we don't have enough talent. We are bringing in Chapman to be a middle to back end reliever for a couple of months. He won't and can't possibly mess up anything. He's not going to corrupt any of our other grown men into doing something bad/illegal/immoral/whatever. 

His only job and the most important thing he can do is get hitters out in high leverage situation when called upon.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

If Aroldis Chapman is the best reliever that we can acquire then sign me up.

The best contributor to culture is success/winning. We are not that kind of org any more who needs to be perfect on the edges because we don't have enough talent. We are bringing in Chapman to be a middle to back end reliever for a couple of months. He won't and can't possibly mess up anything. He's not going to corrupt any of our other grown men into doing something bad/illegal/immoral/whatever. 

His only job and the most important thing he can do is get hitters out in high leverage situation when called upon.

While I don't wouldn't say I am opposed to Chapman....your statement above leaves out the most important part.  IF Aroldis Chapman is the best reliever that we can acquire, what is the cost?

Just because we have a surplus of talent does not mean it should be just handed over.

You keep asking what would emptying the farm look like.   Well, IMO it would look like the Orange statement above.

I'd hope we could do better but without knowing costs we just don't know.  I think the moves this deadline will be closer to last year's deadline than giving up multiple prospects for short commitments.  I could be wrong, but I just don't see any indication that Elias will do that.

The good news is that Elias is going to have to start dealing soon....if not this deadline, then this offseason.  

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

While I don't wouldn't say I am opposed to Chapman....your statement above leaves out the most important part.  IF Aroldis Chapman is the best reliever that we can acquire, what is the cost?

Just because we have a surplus of talent does not mean it should be just handed over.

You keep asking what would emptying the farm look like.   Well, IMO it would look like the Orange statement above.

I'd hope we could do better but without knowing costs we just don't know.  I think the moves this deadline will be closer to last year's deadline than giving up multiple prospects for short commitments.  I could be wrong, but I just don't see any indication that Elias will do that.

The good news is that Elias is going to have to start dealing soon....if not this deadline, then this offseason.  

I don't think that there is a single trade that we could make that would "empty our farm" not for Judge, Ohtani, Ocuna Jr or whoever else is considered the most valuable asset in the game. And there is certainly no trade involving a middle reliever that could hurt us in the slightest. 

I understand that some are more cautious than me. But it may be helpful to familiarize yourself with typical trades involving middle relievers. I guess in 2014 when Andrew Miller was having a historic seasons and we had literally no farm system. A trade for a starter like Eduardo Rodriguez can hurt you bad. But thankfully we are not anywhere close to being in that position anymore. We have at least 9 prospects that would be considered better prospects than Eduardo was at the time.

10 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don't think that there is a single trade that we could make that would "empty our farm" not for Judge, Ohtani, Ocuna Jr or whoever else is considered the most valuable asset in the game. And there is certainly no trade involving a middle reliever that could hurt us in the slightest. 

I understand that some are more cautious than me. But it may be helpful to familiarize yourself with typical trades involving middle relievers. I guess in 2014 when Andrew Miller was having a historic seasons and we had literally no farm system. A trade for a starter like Eduardo Rodriguez can hurt you bad. But thankfully we are not anywhere close to being in that position anymore. We have at least 9 prospects that would be considered better prospects than Eduardo was at the time.

I don't think you get my issue.  I agree it would be hard to purge our system.  However, that does not mean that we have to overpay.  If a team with no system can get Andrew Miller we should not need to give multiple top 100 prospects to get any rental.  And I don't think Elias will do so.

9 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I don't think you get my issue.  I agree it would be hard to purge our system.  However, that does not mean that we have to overpay.  If a team with no system can get Andrew Miller we should not need to give multiple top 100 prospects to get any rental.  And I don't think Elias will do so.

Why in the world would we give up multiple top 100 players to acquire Aroldis Chapman? He couldn't fetch that at his absolute peak let alone in the twilight of his career. He won't cost 1 SINGLE top 100 prospect.