How does Westburg get playing time vs RHP?

interloper

1 hour ago, forphase1 said:

This makes little sense really.  Westburg has a 1.034 OPS against right handed pitchers.  Why in the world would you keep that on the bench?  He's only a .675 OPS against LHP.  Playing him only against LHP is setting him up for failure, based on AAA numbers.  

By the way, Westburg was better vs. RHP last year as well.  In 2021 he was better against LHP, though he still hit LHP very well.  

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I just hope that Westburg comes up and has a couple monster games right away to force their hands.  Hit a bomb tonight, a couple doubles tomorrow...just crush it right away so the choice becomes obvious that they can't put Frazier back in the lineup.

Make them look stupid for preferring Frazier over him.  Make it so obvious that everyone knows.  

While I hope you are right, strikeouts are a part of Westburgs' game. He could go 0-4 with 4K's and I doubt that moves the needle at all in the decision to give him a good look.

27 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

I popped a grid into Excel and just summed up each player’s starts per week and making sure no position went over 7. I think it would be tough to paste into here but honestly it wasn’t that hard to get Westburg 6 starts a week once Mateo and Frazier only got 3 starts a week each. I kept the DH rotating. 

Playing everyday: Gunnar, Mullins, Hays, Santander

Playing 6 times a week: Adley, Urias, Westburg

Playing 4 times a week: O’Hearn, Hicks, 

Playing 3 times a week: Frazier, Mateo

1B: O’Hearn: 4, Urias: 2, Santander: 1

2B: Frazier: 3, Urias: 2, Westburg: 2

3B: Henderson: 3, Urias: 2, Westburg: 2

SS: Mateo: 3, Henderson: 3, Westburg: 1

I even got McKenna a start. 

Yep it’s not that difficult which is why I never understood the argument people would make on here about not calling Westburg up because there was nowhere for him to play. Hyder should have no problems finding playing time for everyone. 

That said, Urias doesn’t need to play 6 games a week. Unless he starts hitting again. 

50 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I just hope that Westburg comes up and has a couple monster games right away to force their hands.  Hit a bomb tonight, a couple doubles tomorrow...just crush it right away so the choice becomes obvious that they can't put Frazier back in the lineup.

Make them look stupid for preferring Frazier over him.  Make it so obvious that everyone knows.  

I don’t need anyone to look stupid for past decisions.   The team is 47-29, they’ve been smart enough.   I just want this to look like a genius move now.  

31 minutes ago, Low Country Bird said:

But by all accounts, Ortiz is much better defensively than either Gunnar or Westburg.  Further, Ortiz has hit plenty since recovering from his injury.  So while I think you're right on how they view the two, I don't understand it.   Ortiz should have been given the same treatment as Gunnar and/or Westburg.  

I understand and respect those who fall in love with certain prospects or who are personal family members or friends of some of these people/players and you want to see them do well.

But in what world of reality has Ortiz and Gunnar EVER been evaluated by ANYONE in the game of baseball to even be REMOTELY CLOSE to being on the same level as a player/prospect?

Why in the world would the Orioles treat the #1 rated prospect in the sport, the same as a guy who was at/near the back half in most top 100 list? ** Hint in some lists he didn't even appear to start the season.**

I get loving a player and advocating for them and wanting them to succeed. But we don't have to make something not be true in order to do that. Joey Ortiz and Gunnar Henderson are not even in the same category as it relates to the talent/ceiling that they possess as baseball players.

On a weekly basis, something like:

Rutschman: 4-5 starts at catcher, 1-2 starts at DH, 0-1 days off
Bemboom/McCann: 2-3 starts at catcher
O'Hearn: starts at 1B versus righties
Frazier: 2-3 starts at 2B, 1-2 starts in LF 0-2 starts at DH
Mateo: 4-6 starts at SS, super sub?
Henderson: 5-6 starts at 3B, 0-1 at SS, 0-1 days off
Urias: starts at 1B versus lefties, 0-1 starts at 3B, 0-2 starts at 2B, 3-5 days off
Hays: 5-6 starts in LF, 0-2 days off
Mullins: 4-5 starts in CF (while groin finishes healing), 1-2 starts at DH, 0-2 days off
Santander: 1B versus lefties, 2-3 starts in RF, 0-3 days off
Hicks: 2-3 starts in CF (maybe versus lefties?), 0-1 starts at DH, 4-6 starts in RF, 0-1 days off
McKenna: Pinch runner/defensive replacement
Westburg: 1-2 starts at 3B, 3-4 starts at 2B, 0-2 at SS, 0-3 days off

Lineup vs. RHP

Mullins
Rutschman
O'Hearn
Santander
Henderson
Hays
Hicks/Frazier
Westburg/Frazier
Mateo/Frazier

Lineup vs. LHP

Mullins/Hicks
Rutschman
Henderson
Santander
Hays
Hicks/McKenna
Urias/Hicks
Westburg
Mateo

Edited by ChosenOne21

7 minutes ago, owknows said:

True or not, Elias says otherwise.

It wouldn't do anyone any good for Elias to publicly emasculate his manager by telling the world that he's not in charge of his own lineups. He may not even do anything as blunt as giving him marching orders - they've worked together long enough now that Hyde should understand Elias' expectations and be on the same page. I doubt this call-up happened without plenty of conversations about how to use Westburg; Hyde knows what the boss is hoping to see.

2 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I would not be surprised to see them sit Hicks some and put Frazier in RF

What sense does that make? What does Adam Frazier do better as a baseball player (and in particular as an outfielder) than Aaron Hicks right now? This sounds like a self-sabotaging move.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, owknows said:

True or not, Elias says otherwise.

What is he supposed to say? I would not ever expect him to say publicly that Hyde does what he is told or admit that Hyde follows instruction from him based on what's Sig's data suggest.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Someone check on @Sports Guy, he might have a stroke after reading this post. 

Nah…he’s right. It’s the concept of, “it’s working, so why make a change?”  that is incorrect. Things have worked and that’s great but they have a 41-36 pythag theorem record. There are 10 teams with a better run differential and 4 others within 5 runs.

The team needs more improving than the record indicates.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

On a weekly basis, something like:

Rutschman: 4-5 starts at catcher, 1-2 starts at DH, 0-1 days off
Bemboom/McCann: 2-3 starts at catcher
O'Hearn: starts at 1B versus righties
Frazier: 2-3 starts at 2B, 0-4 starts at DH
Mateo: 4-6 starts at SS, super sub?
Henderson: 5-6 starts at 3B, 0-1 at SS, 0-1 days off
Urias: starts at 1B versus lefties, 0-1 starts at 3B, 1-3 starts at 2B, 3-5 days off
Hays: 5-6 starts in LF, 0-2 days off
Mullins: 4-5 starts in CF (while groin finishes healing), 1-2 starts at DH, 0-2 days off
Santander: 1B versus lefties, 4-5 starts in RF, 0-3 days off
Hicks: 2-3 starts in CF (maybe versus lefties?), 2-3 starts at DH, 2-3 starts in RF, 0-1 days off
McKenna: Pinch runner/defensive replacement
Westburg: 1-2 starts at 3B, 3-4 starts at 2B, 0-2 at SS, 0-3 days off

Lineup vs. RHP

Mullins
Rutschman
O'Hearn
Santander
Henderson
Hays
Hicks/Frazier
Westburg/Frazier
Mateo/Frazier

Lineup vs. LHP

Mullins/Hicks
Rutschman
Henderson
Santander
Hays
Hicks/McKenna
Urias/Hicks
Westburg
Mateo

Urias should be more than LHP-only. I think RHB lineup is something like:

2B Frazier/Westburg

SS Gunnar/Mateo

3B Urias/Westburg

That adds up to Westburg playing perhaps half time vs RHB, with more to come if he hits and Mateo/Frazier don't.