Let's talk Roster Crunch

wildcard

@wildcard this is a great post, thanks.  This is something to think about as we trade an acquire assets at the deadline this year.  I actually thought we might have more of a crunch to deal with than this, I think we are in decent shape.   I agree Santander gets moved this offseason.

8 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I don't know if you're right but you put some thinking into this.

I'd keep Bemboom ahead of McCann

McCann has 4m on his contract for 2024.  Bemboom can be DFA'd and will not be claimed most likely.   Then Elias will give him a nice contract to play at AAA.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

McCann has 4m on his contract for 2024.  Bemboom can be DFA'd and will not be claimed most likely.   Then Elias will give him a nice contract to play at AAA.

Thanks..... 4m for a .200 hitting backup catcher makes me want to barf.  

Edited by Baltimorecuse
add info

I'd let Cameron guy as one guy who can be removed.  If he didn't replace Mullins when he missed a month just recently, I don't see how he ever will.  If it hadn't been for Hicks, it might have been Cowser had he not been hurt.  Plus I think Haskin plays center.

On 6/28/2023 at 3:36 PM, Fiver6565 said:

I'd let Cameron guy as one guy who can be removed.  If he didn't replace Mullins when he missed a month just recently, I don't see how he ever will.  If it hadn't been for Hicks, it might have been Cowser had he not been hurt.  Plus I think Haskin plays center.

I agree with this except that Cameron is hitting and playing well at AAA.   I don't think we can count him out in late June.  We need to see what happens with him and McKenna.  Cameron was a 1st round draftee of Elias when he was with Houston.   I don't know how much of a favorite he is for Elias.

Edited by wildcard

Just now, wildcard said:

I agree with this accept that Cameron is hitting and playing well at AAA.   I don't think we can count him out in late June.  We need to see what happens with him and McKenna.

Not saying remove him now, talking about in the offseason.  No reason to do anything with him now.

If Hicks plays well enough for the O's to want to extend him, then he'll have played well enough to get well over the minimum to start for someone. I don't see them paying significant money to keep him around with Cowser on the way. 

Too early to do this but I would be surprised if they extend Hicks. They were lucky to catch some lightning in a bottle but I would expect Elias to let his inevitable regression be some other organization's problem. Between Haskin, Cowser, and Kjerstad we should have better options. I would rather they just pay Santander. I also don't see McKenna as all that important to keep. Haskin could be a younger, better version of him. 

I'm not really seeing any must-protect guys on the Rule 5 list. Haskin would be nice as a replacement for McKenna but McKenna still isn't arb eligible.