Let's talk Roster Crunch

wildcard

On 6/28/2023 at 3:52 PM, deward said:

If Hicks plays well enough for the O's to want to extend him, then he'll have played well enough to get well over the minimum to start for someone. I don't see them paying significant money to keep him around with Cowser on the way. 

The Yankees are on the hook for 9.5m for both 2024 and 2025.    The O's only have to pay him the minimum.  The Yankees pay the rest.   The determiningfactor on whether he stays is does he want to be with the O's.   Elias will have to tell him he will play regularly.   He is probably not going to get a more winning team to play for then the 2024 O's.

I think Santander is traded this off season which opens a spot for Cowser.   Hays, Mullins, Hicks and Cowser can take turns DHing when Adley is not.

Edited by wildcard

On 6/28/2023 at 3:34 PM, Baltimorecuse said:

Thanks..... 4m for a .200 hitting backup catcher makes me want to barf.  

This team, as its standing now, will have a payroll in 2024 under 70m.   4m for a backup catcher will not hurt them.

Edited by wildcard

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Too early to do this but I would be surprised if they extend Hicks. They were lucky to catch some lightning in a bottle but I would expect Elias to let his inevitable regression be some other organization's problem. Between Haskin, Cowser, and Kjerstad we should have better options. I would rather they just pay Santander. I also don't see McKenna as all that important to keep. Haskin could be a younger, better version of him. 

I'm not really seeing any must-protect guys on the Rule 5 list. Haskin would be nice as a replacement for McKenna but McKenna still isn't arb eligible.

In case you haven't noticed Elias likes to keep some veterans on the team.   Hick costs him 750K for all of 2024.  He can be cut at anytime for that amount.   Haskin vs Hicks.  I think  Elias takes Hicks.  But there could be roster space for both.

Not saying I know a lot about Haskin  but I hear he has a weak arm and is not consider a very good CFer in spite of his speed.    Elias had Cowser playing CF in Norfolk over Haskin.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

In case you haven't noticed Elias likes to keep some veterans on the team.   Hick costs him 750K for all of 2024.  He can be cut at anytime for that amount.   Haskin vs Hicks.  I think  Elias takes Hicks.  But there could be roster space for both.

Not saying I know a lot about Haskin  but I hear he has a weak arm and is not consider a very good CFer in spite of his speed.    Elias had Cowser playing CF in Norfolk over Haskin.

There is a loooooong way to go before we see if Hicks can actually keep up a productive pace. He looked awful last night, so... the fall back to earth is never that far away. 

• Like 1

OK, when you mentioned extending I wasn't aware we could keep Hicks for the minimum next year. That does sound more like Elias. I am still skeptical of Hicks' production but I guess that's OK if he is the 5th OF. 

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The Yankees are on the hook for 9.5m for both 2024 and 2025.    The O's only have to pay him the minimum.  The Yankees pay the rest.   The determine factor on whether he stays is does he want to be with the O's.   Elias will have to tell him he will play regularly.   He is probably not going to get a more winning team to play for then the 2024 O's.

I think Santander is traded his off season which opens a spot for Cowser.   Hays, Mullins, Hicks and Cowser can take turns DHing when Adley is not.

There's nothing stopping a team from signing Hicks for more than the minimum if they choose to.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's hard for me to transport myself to November right now.

There are 26-man roster crunches coming very soon and many of them will likely impact the 40-man come November.

Interesting thought.  Lets talk about that.

McCann up, Bemboom DFA'd

GRod up, Zimmerman optioned,  Irvin to the pen

Givens up,  Either Irvin or Akin optioned.

Cowser up, McKenna optioned,   though I don't think they have the playing time to make this move.  There is a 40 man spot open from  Bemboom being DFA'd.

Elias will try to find a home for Frazier with another team but I don't see that happening.   If he does then:  Frazier traded; Ortiz up.

What do you see?

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

There is a loooooong way to go before we see if Hicks can actually keep up a productive pace. He looked awful last night, so... the fall back to earth is never that far away. 

I saw a ball off the fence the he could have played better.   What did you see that was awful?

4 minutes ago, deward said:

There's nothing stopping a team from signing Hicks for more than the minimum if they choose to.

Why would the O's pay more?   It just lessens  what the Yankees have to pay.  It will not get Hick any more money.

• Upvote 1

Why would the O's pay more?   It just lessens  what the Yankees have to pay.  It will not get Hick any more money.

True, he won't get more money unless someone is willing to exceed the old contract (not likely). So I guess the question becomes where Hicks wants to play. He probably isn't a starter here next year, Cowser and Kjerstad should see to that. 

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

OK, when you mentioned extending I wasn't aware we could keep Hicks for the minimum next year. That does sound more like Elias. I am still skeptical of Hicks' production but I guess that's OK if he is the 5th OF. 

Hicks signed a one year contract with the O's.   O's pay prorate minimum, Yankees pay the rest of his contract.   Yankees on the hook for 2024 and 2025.   Hicks contract expires after the season.   He can sign for the minimum with any team.    I would think the big deal for Hicks finding a winning team to play on and making sure he gets to play regularly.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I saw a ball off the fence the he could have played better.   What did you see that was awful?

Swung through a lot of 94 mph fastballs down the middle of the plate. 0-3 with 2 Ks. Just an off night probably, but, like... maybe not! This was a guy who was absolutely terrible for multiple years. Love what he's doing, but there's no chance in hell I trust it. 

2 minutes ago, deward said:

True, he won't get more money unless someone is willing to exceed the old contract (not likely). So I guess the question becomes where Hicks wants to play. He probably isn't a starter here next year, Cowser and Kjerstad should see to that. 

Watching Elias hold Westburg down, I don't see Elias having any problem holding Kjerstad at AAA as depth waiting for an injury.   I think Elias would love to have Hicks back if he keeps playing the way he has.   The bigs down side with keeping Hicks is he may get injured and be on the IL.   That could cost the O's 750K and a 40 man roster spot while he is on the IL.   I think Elias takes that risk.