Let's talk Roster Crunch

wildcard

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

Swung through a lot of 94 mph fastballs down the middle of the plate. 0-3 with 2 Ks. Just an off night probably, but, like... maybe not! This was a guy who was absolutely terrible for multiple years. Love what he's doing, but there's no chance in hell I trust it. 

At 750K its minimal risk.

He also walked and scored the only O's run.   The O's had 3 hits on the night.   If you want to place blame there are 8 other guys to blame.

Edited by wildcard

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Watching Elias hold Westburg down, I don't see Elias having any problem holding Kjerstad at AAA as depth waiting for an injury.   I think Elias would love to have Hicks back if he keeps playing the way he has.   The bigs down side with keeping Hicks is he may get injured and be on the IL.   That could cost the O's 750K and a 40 man roster spot while he is on the IL.   I think Elias takes that risk.

There's still quite a bit of this season to go and I don't expect Hicks to keep this up. They invested a lot in Cowser and Kjerstad, they're going to get their opportunities, and I don't see Hicks standing in the way of that. We'll see.

On 6/28/2023 at 4:52 PM, deward said:

There's still quite a bit of this season to go and I don't expect Hicks to keep this up. They invested a lot in Cowser and Kjerstad, they're going to get their opportunities, and I don't see Hicks standing in the way of that. We'll see.

Cowser and Kjerstad will be with the O's long after Hicks is gone.   But has long as Hicks is playing well its like finding free money.   

Hays has a injury history,  Mullins just came off the IL as did Cowser. Hicks has a injury history.   As does Kjerstad.  Getting all 5 playing time may not be problem.  

Edited by wildcard

@wildcard great post. You put a lot of time into this. Just a few thoughts.

Long way to go before we make a decision on Hicks. I am ecstatic how he has played so far, but he’s 33 with a long history of injuries. He seems like a great addition in many ways, but if his production falls back down to his usual levels, I pass. 

Daz Cameron may or may not be something after all. The reason he did not come up could be that they had Hicks in mind already, which is something they said after they signed him right after the Mullins injury. They may have wanted to keep Cameron working on his improvements to further cement them with reps in AAA, without worrying about losing him to send him back to AAA when Mullins returned. I think it’s too early to count out Cameron or Lewin Diaz for 2024.

There are a lot of moving parts, as always. Is Mountcastle ever going to be the guy at 1B they want? Will Santander become the 1B? Is O’Hearn more than a bench/platoon guy? Is McKenna expendable for Cameron or Haskin? What does the everyday infield look like? Are Mateo and/ or Urias dealt? Is Ortiz a UT or a starter? And much more that we should get more of an idea about by October. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hicks signed a one year contract with the O's.   O's pay prorate minimum, Yankees pay the rest of his contract.   Yankees on the hook for 2024 and 2025.   Hicks contract expires after the season.   He can sign for the minimum with any team.    I would think the big deal for Hicks finding a winning team to play on and making sure he gets to play regularly.

I'm not clear what it means that Hicks' contract expires but Yankees are on the hook for 24-25. If it requires Adam Frazier money from the O's to keep him I would be very surprised.

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'm not clear what it means that Hicks' contract expires but Yankees are on the hook for 24-25. If it requires Adam Frazier money from the O's to keep him I would be very surprised.

His contract with the Orioles expires at season’s end.  The Yankees still owe him about $20 million in 24-25.  It wouldn’t require Adam Frazier money to retain him. 

7 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

His contract with the Orioles expires at season’s end.  The Yankees still owe him about $20 million in 24-25.  It wouldn’t require Adam Frazier money to retain him. 

So he is a free agent and any team can bid on him at the market rate? I don't see the O's doing that unless we get him for the minimum. It would be funny if the Yankees re-signed him. 

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

So he is a free agent and any team can bid on him at the market rate? I don't see the O's doing that unless we get him for the minimum. It would be funny if the Yankees re-signed him. 

I don’t see why any team would pay him more than the minimum.  It doesn’t increase the amount of money he makes, it just reduces the Yankees bill.

50 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I don’t see why any team would pay him more than the minimum.  It doesn’t increase the amount of money he makes, it just reduces the Yankees bill.

Because if he is a free agent they can get outbid by another team willing to pay more?