July is a meat grinder

Baltimorecuse

21 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

This breaks my one game at a time rule but I peeked at the July schedule.  I should have stayed in blissful ignorance.  

We have one 13 game stretch with no days off.  

There are 7 games with the Yanks.  Three with red hot Miami.  

I think .500 for July would be great.  

There is nothing great about .500 for this team.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Coming out 18-19 games over .500 would still be pretty good.

The Yankees don't have Judge coming back anytime soon, looks like.  While they should be taken seriously, I don't believe they're nearly as formidable.  Stanton is -0.4 rWAR this year, his OPS is .621.  Their hyped rookie, Volpe, is a joke.  They just lost to the A's last night, 2-1.  

I mean, they're still the YANKEES and they can get right at any time.  But I don't think they're as good as they have been in recent history.  

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

From your lips to God's ear.

The middle innings guys in our pen aren't dependable.  

Our starters are competitive but we only go four deep, and there is no dependable 5th pitcher.  There's no stopper, although Wells may be that.  

We're playing beyond our stat line more than any team in baseball.  

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Coming out 18-19 games over .500 would still be pretty good.

The Yankees don't have Judge coming back anytime soon, looks like.  While they should be taken seriously, I don't believe they're nearly as formidable.  Stanton is -0.4 rWAR this year, his OPS is .621.  Their hyped rookie, Volpe, is a joke.  They just lost to the A's last night, 2-1.  

I mean, they're still the YANKEES and they can get right at any time.  But I don't think they're as good as they have been in recent history.  

But the Yanks can pitch.  Fortunately, their offense sucks.  

3 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

From your lips to God's ear.

The middle innings guys in our pen aren't dependable.  

Our starters are competitive but we only go four deep, and there is no dependable 5th pitcher.  There's no stopper, although Wells may be that.  

We're playing beyond our stat line more than any team in baseball.  

The Marlins are 12 games over .500 with a negative 6 run differential.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, kaj21206 said:

Shouldn't these teams be concerned that the Orioles are on their schedule?  We have one of the best records versus teams with a 500 record or better.

27 minutes ago, kaj21206 said:

Shouldn't these teams be concerned that the Orioles are on their schedule?  We have one of the best records versus teams with a 500 record or better.

I'm sure we'll be taken seriously.  Is there a point here?

46 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I'm sure we'll be taken seriously.  Is there a point here

We've played well all year, but every time the schedule looks difficult people act as if we have little chance.  I think we will be fine.  Maybe I'm being naive.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I would like to see the team playing >.500 ball every month regardless of who we play.  Admittedly the July schedule is tough.  You know what else will be tough?  The playoff schedule, if we get there.  So we may as well prove now that we can succeed against a steady diet of good teams. 

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree with your overall assessment of the Yankees, especially if Judge is out.  The Yankees are 13-17 when Judge is not in the lineup.   Their offense is not very good.  

I think you’re being a bit too hard on Volpe, though.  He’s been worth 1.4 rWAR, 0.8 fWAR.  He barely played AAA last year, getting 99 PA with a .718 OPS.   The Yankees pushed him to the majors and he’s held his own, a little light on the bat and quite good with the glove.  Basically, he’s been their Jorge Mateo, except that he’s 22 and still has a lot of time to improve.  

• Upvote 1