July is a meat grinder

Baltimorecuse

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

This simply means that gamblers apparently tend to over-bet on the Phillies.  Establishing the Phillies as the favorite in a game doesn't mean the odds-makers think they win, it simply means they think more money will be bet on Philadelphia.

It's not just the Phillies, the Orioles have been underdogs a lot this year, and they keep winning. I guess bettors don't know much about the game.

4 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

That's how champions are created.  They meet the toughest test.  

You know the odds makers make us the dog almost every night.  

We're +100 tonight and Philly is -120.  

We're beating old Pythag to death, and the Vegas wise guys.  

Our pythag expectation isn't *that* bad, and it's quite a bit better than the Phillies.  My best guess on why the Cheez-Wiz are favored tonight is because vegas has no faith in Gibson's ability to throw a  baseball, and Taijuan Walker is having a decent year.  Vegas tends to overcommit on pitching matchups.

7 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

It's not just the Phillies, the Orioles have been underdogs a lot this year, and they keep winning. I guess bettors don't know much about the game.

...or bettors are trying to average the, "They can't keep winning these close ones." bets by betting against the trend continuing.  Gamblers are superstitious to a fault.  And I'm not judging... just saying.  Betting with or against the odds hoping the odds balance is nothing new, but sometimes trends are just trends.  How many guys have ridden the O's beat the odds?  Many, I bet :)and they are very happy.  We win close games, that's the trend AND we come back.  Bet those, those trends have been consistent.

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

17-9 in the Meat Grinder Month.   Fantastic performance. 

Their ability to find ways to win impresses me every single day. Outside of Felix there isn’t a truly GREAT one in the bunch (Gunnar is well on his way and Adley of course is very good). Their consistent consistency this year is really something. 

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

Shane McLanahan just went on the IL with forearm discomfort. Tough for the Rays, but they'll probably just get a pitcher from their frontline starter vending machine. 

Pitchers have a lot in common with racehorses.  That's why it always scares me when I see a huge contract for a single stud.  

40 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Pitchers have a lot in common with racehorses.  That's why it always scares me when I see a huge contract for a single stud.  

True but the Rays seem to have a lot of injuries.  One thought is that they create crazy pitches for their pitchers and then have them overthrow them.  Of course, no one actually knows but something seems to be going on there.  

7 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Nothing to be scared of for us Os fans, we'll never see such a contract!

(And it might actually be a good thing)