Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

6 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Thought I was going to have a good score until the 200k column where I hit the most popular player for each.

Better than me.   I tried to go with guys who wouldn't be the most popular and learned the hard way that Doug Drabek and Jack McDowell never got to 200.

47 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

8/9 200.  Phillies/Padres got me.  

Roberto Alomar, Tom Seaver, Willie Mays

Gary Sheffield, Eric Davis, Hank Greenberg

Miss, Joe Morgan, John Kruk

I took a Tigers/Phillies guy that I could use for Reds/Phillies. Then got stuck on Reds/Phillies, but could name a handful of other Tigers/Phillies.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I took a Tigers/Phillies guy that I could use for Reds/Phillies. Then got stuck on Reds/Phillies, but could name a handful of other Tigers/Phillies.

Kruk would have helped me out on Padres/Phillies, only realized it after I placed him in the Phillies .300 square.  Might have had an easier time guessing a Phillies .300 hitter and putting Kruk in Padres/Phillies. 

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Kruk would have helped me out on Padres/Phillies, only realized it after I placed him in the Phillies .300 square.  Might have had an easier time guessing a Phillies .300 hitter and putting Kruk in Padres/Phillies. 

I had no idea that Kruk had a career .300 BA. I went old school and used Chuck Klein.  

Just now, Frobby said:

I had no idea that Kruk had a career .300 BA. I went old school and used Chuck Klein.  

I should have slowed down and used Richie Ashburn for the Phillies .300 and Kruk for the Padres/Phillies.

The only reason I remember Kruk having a .300 batting average is that he was playing for the White Sox and they were at Camden Yards.  Kruk got a hit, walked off the field and retired after the game.  That hit gave him a .300 career batting average on the nose.

After the strike-shortened 1994 season, Kruk was granted free agency and signed with the Chicago White Sox for 1995, but his physical condition hindered him. His retirement also reflected his sense of theater. He singled against the Orioles in Camden Yards on July 30, 1995, advanced to third and at inning’s end stepped off third base into retirement in a prearranged plan with the White Sox.9

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/John-Kruk/

One of my best ever.

9/9, rarity 48, 5 Orioles used.

Spoiler

Darren O'Day, Adam LaRoche, Dale Murphy

Reggie Jackson, Kurt Suzki, Bobby Grich

Rick Dempsey, Jeffrey Hammonds, Paul Molitor

Could I have gotten more Orioles?  Let's go to the BBREF answer key...

• Nick Markakis was a Silver Slugger for Atlanta
  • Yovani Gallardo was a Silver Slugger for Milwaukee!!!
  • Nats(Expos)/Braves who were also Orioles:  Terry Crowley, Dennis Martinez, Nate McClouth, Gary Roenicke, Tony Tarasco, Tommy MIlone
  • Nats(Expos)/Angels who were also Orioles:  Rene Gonzales, Vladimir Guerrero, Jeff Huson, Rudy May, Rick Schu, Lee Smith

So it would have been possible to achieve my dream of filling all 9 squares with Orioles.

Obviously I thought of Nick but wasn't sure he won a SS.   Should have gotten Vlad Guerrero.   Pulling all 9 would have been a miracle.

• Upvote 1

Man, today's is all over the place.  9/9 for 193.  

Kevin Mitchell, Gaylord Perry, Ichiro

Jose Canseco, Hanser Alberto, A-Rod

Dave Stewart, David Cone, Paul Molitor

Kevin Mitchell got me .3%, Hanser got me .2%.  I didn't even feel like trying to figure out another Mariners player that got 200 hits, looks like 79% of the other people that have played this morning felt the same way.  I never would have guessed Bret Boone, but he did have that one season...A-Rod, not surprisingly was the only other option.

Michael Young is a player that was considered great in his time but WAR has not been kind to him.  I actually forgot all about him, he regularly had 200 hit seasons for the Rangers.

33 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Man, today's is all over the place.  9/9 for 193.  

You ever have one of those days where you blow an answer or two early and just stop caring so you just throw stuff out there?   I blew two guesses at Blue Jays 200 hit guy and just started taking long shots.  4/9, 609.  Woo hoo!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

You ever have one of those days where you blow an answer or two early and just stop caring so you just throw stuff out there?   I blew two guesses at Blue Jays 200 hit guy and just started taking long shots.  4/9, 609.  Woo hoo!

Yeah, it’s usually when they have a team like the Marlins or Rockies or Diamondbacks or something. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, it’s usually when they have a team like the Marlins or Rockies or Diamondbacks or something. 

Agreed. Even the Rays to a degree throw me off given my baseball player memory is better for 80s and 90s (and even 70s) players. I attribute it to reading Bill James, Street & Smith guide, Baseball Weekly and collecting baseball cards as a kid. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

48 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Agreed. Even the Rays to a degree throw me off given my baseball player memory is better for 80s and 90s (and even 70s) players. I attribute it to reading Bill James, Street & Smith guide, Baseball Weekly and collecting baseball cards as a kid. 

Yup, I attribute it to baseball cards from back in the day, too. 

44 today. High was Cle/LA at 14 which would have been a prime answer for Cle/Bos. Low was 0.4 for Cle/Bos. I took a pitcher who pitched against one of those teams in a World Series. His career included an in season arrest for fighting undercover cops with his teammates, a freak accident where he needed a piece of an appendage reattached, and an offfield tragedy.