Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Second day in a row.  I’d filled out 8 of 9 squares, knew an answer for Yankees/Giants, but thought I’d remembered that I’d recently seen a Hall of Famer who’d played for both like 90 years ago, that I figured would get a good score.  Zap!   Wrong, so my grid was 8/9, 123.   Had a good score going until blowing that, though I suspect my “safe” answer to that question would have been pretty popular.  

Bobby Bonds.  Pretty easy today.

⚾️ Immaculate Grid 236 9/9:
Rarity: 24
IMMACULATE!
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
Play at:
https://immaculategrid.com
@immaculategrid x @baseball_ref

I did it!!!!

My dream of completing an all Oriole grid finally came true!

Not to mention a rarity score of 10, my all time best.

I got 8/9 pretty quickly, and the Yankee/Giant took me a LONG time and I wasn't 100% sure he played for the Giants but I thought he did, so I closed my eyes and hit enter and prayed.

Never could have done it without the gimme categories. 

Spoiler

Steve Pearce (1%), Kevin Millar (1%), Mike Torrez (0.9%)

Don Larsen (0.4%), Will Clark (4%), Kevin Gausman (2%)

David Wells (1%), Frank Robinson (0.5%, really, he won an MVP for them?), Milt Pappas (0.2%)

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

I did it!!!!

I got 8/9 pretty quickly, and the Yankee/Giant took me a LONG time and I wasn't 100% sure he played for the Giants but I thought he did, so I closed my eyes and hit enter and prayed.

Hide contents

David Wells (1%), Frank Robinson (0.5%, really, he won an MVP for them?), Milt Pappas (0.2%)

That’s pretty impressive! Well done!

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

I did it!!!!

Hide contents

Could have also used Ponson for Yankees/Giants. I dunno if I could think of another one. 

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Could have also used Ponson for Yankees/Giants. I dunno if I could think of another one. 

Wow, I had totally erased Ponson as a Yankee from my memory, somehow.

Looking it up afterwards, another one that might have been gettable was Bob Melvin, if I could have remembered his one year as Yankee backup C..

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Wow, I had totally erased Ponson as a Yankee from my memory, somehow.

Looking it up afterwards, another one that might have been gettable was Bob Melvin, if I could have remembered his one year as Yankee backup C..

Never would have guessed Bob Melvin as a Yankee backup catcher.

I always remember Ponson being a Yankee because I thought it was hilarious they'd try to get something out of him, then realizing I'd be pissed if he actually reached his potential there.

15 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I always remember Ponson being a Yankee because I thought it was hilarious they'd try to get something out of him, then realizing I'd be pissed if he actually reached his potential there.

I remember him as a Yankee (now that you mention it) because the pinstripes weren’t exactly flattering to his figure.  

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Which is saying something considering they were designed to make Ruth look slimmer.

Contrary to baseball legend, the Yankees did not start wearing pinstriped uniforms to make Babe Ruth look slimmer in the late 1920s and 1930s. In truth, the Yankees briefly added pinstripes to their uniforms in 1912, then re-added them on a permanent basis soon after Jacob Ruppert bought the team in 1915.

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Lo...

Logos and uniforms of the New York Yankees - Wikipedia

image.png

• Thanks 1

9/9, 19 points today.  I used Orioles for 7 of 9 answers.  Pretty sure the other two weren’t possible.   Those two answers sucked up 10 of my 19 points and I’m sure I could have done a bit better, but I wasn’t going to take chances after my Icarus moves the last two days.  

I think 19 is my second best score, though that’s mostly due to how easy the grid was.  (Same was true for my low score of 5.)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Damn, I’m coming in here with a 44 thinking I did really well and then Frobby’s got a 19!

Eckersley, Catfish Hunter, Piazza

Juan Gonzalez, Palmer, Ripken

Chipper Jones, Verlander, Strawberry 

⚾️ Immaculate Grid 237 9/9:
Rarity: 46
IMMACULATE!
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
Play at:
https://immaculategrid.com
@immaculategrid x @baseball_ref

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

9/9, 19 points today.  I used Orioles for 7 of 9 answers.  Pretty sure the other two weren’t possible.   Those two answers sucked up 10 of my 19 points and I’m sure I could have done a bit better, but I wasn’t going to take chances after my Icarus moves the last two days.  

I think 19 is my second best score, though that’s mostly due to how easy the grid was.  (Same was true for my low score of 5.)

It was possible to do all Orioles, although I failed.   One Oriole was a first round pick who won an MVP -- Reggie Jackson.   And there was one Oriole who was a first round pick who won a Cy Young -- Rick Sutcliffe.

I'm assuming those are the two spots you couldn't fill with Orioles because they were the only two I failed on.

I didn't know either was a first round pick.   I didn't follow the draft back when either was drafted.