Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Guess who did guess Billy Williams?  And that was after I’d guessed Sandberg.  Not to mention Davey Lopes and Rickey Henderson.  All wrong!  Tough day.  

Ha!  Nomar Garciapara would have worked. Derek Lee.  Rafael Palmiero. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/2B_season.shtml

Edited by RZNJ

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ha!  Nomar Garciapara would have worked. Derek Lee.  Rafael Palmiero. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/2B_season.shtml

Another thing I really need to do is bone up on which of the great players from 1900 - 1940 played for teams like the Phillies, Athletics, etc.  There’s a lot of Hall of Famers from that era where I don’t remember who they played for.  Al Simmons cracked 40 doubles four times for the Philadelphia A’s.  

I bet @DrungoHazewoodcould put up some incredibly low scores in this game.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Another thing I really need to do is bone up on which of the great players from 1900 - 1940 played for teams like the Phillies, Athletics, etc.  There’s a lot of Hall of Famers from that era where I don’t remember who they played for.  Al Simmons cracked 40 doubles four times for the Philadelphia A’s.  

I bet @DrungoHazewoodcould put up some incredibly low scores in this game.  

Same here but I’m not going to bone up on them.  Lol

Outsmarted myself again.  For 200 hit season on the Tigers I remembered Norm Cash won a batting title early in his career with a pretty high average.  Right.  200 hits?  Wrong.  That SOB hit .361 in 159 games and only had 193 hits.  124 walks!

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Outsmarted myself again.  For 200 hit season on the Tigers I remembered Norm Cash won a batting title early in his career with a pretty high average.  Right.  200 hits?  Wrong.  That SOB hit .361 in 159 games and only had 193 hits.  124 walks!

That was good to remember that crazy season he had.  But power guys who hit for average also walk a lot.  Ted Williams never had 200 hits.  

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That was good to remember that crazy season he had.  But power guys who hit for average also walk a lot.  Ted Williams never had 200 hits.  

That’s the thing though.  That season was such an aberration.  His lifetime average was .271 and that was the only time he hit over .300.  

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

9/9 128. The Saturdays remain my favorite. 

Rey Ordonez, Howard Johnson, David Wright

Andrelton Simmons, Bob Horner, Spencer Strider

Barry Bonds, Bobby Bonds, Buster Posey

I was trying to dredge Ordonez’s name from my memory banks, but couldn’t do it so I settled on Keith Hernandez, which I knew would score poorly.  

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I was trying to dredge Ordonez’s name from my memory banks, but couldn’t do it so I settled on Keith Hernandez, which I knew would score poorly.  

He was great, maybe a notch below Ozzie Smith but I think he’s largely been forgotten now, odd considering he didn’t play all that long ago. 

Wright was the first Met I actually thought of for GG but I wanted to do better on the rarity score.