Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

14 hours ago, SteveA said:

Jamie Moyer.   The last person older than me to play in the majors.

(As opposed to Dwight Gooden.   The first person younger than me to play in the majors).

Jesse Orosco was the last guy older than me.  Looks like Alfredo Griffin was the first guy younger than me.  I never knew that until now.  

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

8/9, 170.  Couldn't get Marlins/Twins.

8/9, 176.  Couldn't get Marlins/Cardinals.

The guy you had for Mia/SL... I really need to commit his career odyssey to memory, it definitely comes in handy in the grid.   He only ever occurs to me for the first 3 teams he played for, and he played for 5 more afterwards!

Surprised you didn't get Marlins/Twins when the two teams made a very high profile player-for-player trade just about one year ago.

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

8/9, 176.  Couldn't get Marlins/Cardinals.

The guy you had for Mia/SL... I really need to commit his career odyssey to memory, it definitely comes in handy in the grid.   He only ever occurs to me for the first 3 teams he played for, and he played for 5 more afterwards!

Surprised you didn't get Marlins/Twins when the two teams made a very high profile player-for-player trade just about one year ago.

Yep, he comes in handy a lot.  As does Kevin Mitchell and Gary Sheffield.  I think I use Kevin Mitchell at least once a week.

That's my big blind spot when it comes to this game, current players.  It's rare that I play anyone who's currently playing, my default thoughts go back to the baseball cards I had when I was a kid and the teams that I watched growing up.  When I saw Arraez, I was annoyed that I couldn't think of him but I'm pretty sure I could have sat here all day and not thought of him.  

9/9, 139 today

Matt Carpenter, Marcel Ozuna, Stan Musial

Sonny Gray, Pablo Lopez, Luis Arraez

Andruw Jones, Mike Piazza, Jackie Robinson

I get 9/9 roughly 2/3 of the time these days. I sometimes struggle with categories like Saves, Wins, Gold Gloves, and small market NL teams.

I love when an Oriole bird pops up. I used Andrew Velazquez (NYY), Miguel Castro (TOR), and Ty Wigginton (All-Star) earlier this week and got under 1% for all of them.

3 useful facts I heard a while back and remembered:

Cesar Izturis played for every NL Central team. Mark McLemore played for every AL West team. Steve Finley played for every NL West team (plus Baltimore and Houston of course). I use those guys a lot. 

Rich Hill and Rickey Henderson are very useful, too. People have mentioned Edwin Jackson too but I can't remember for the life of me where he pitched.

⚾️ Immaculate Grid 262 9/9:
Rarity: 57
IMMACULATE!
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
Play at:
https://immaculategrid.com
@immaculategrid x @baseball_ref

Kind of an easy one today.   I was able to use the guy with the best batting average in MLB history.

Spoiler

Steve Finley, John Paciorek, Mike Scott

Sean Manaea, Ryan Noda, Dave Stewart

Hunter Renfroe, Triston Casas, Hideo Nomo

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

⚾️ Immaculate Grid 262 9/9:
Rarity: 57
IMMACULATE!
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
Play at:
https://immaculategrid.com
@immaculategrid x @baseball_ref

Kind of an easy one today.   I was able to use the guy with the best batting average in MLB history.

Reveal hidden contents

Steve Finley, John Paciorek, Mike Scott

Sean Manaea, Ryan Noda, Dave Stewart

Hunter Renfroe, Triston Casas, Hideo Nomo

What does it say about Oakland that I couldn’t think of a player who played exclusively for the A’s, not even someone who’s only come to the majors in the last couple of years?

I also struggled with the no-hitter category.  

9/9 147

I struggled a bit with the no-hitter, except for Boston because that one was against us.  I guessed for the A's no-hitter and got that right, and I didn't want to use the most obvious choice for the Astros but I couldn't think of anyone else that had thrown one.

Was surprised that the SD/Astros player I chose was 50%, I didn't think he was going to be that popular of a choice.  

@FrobbyI only thought of an A's player that played exclusively for the A's because he torched us this year when we were in Oakland.

Ken Caminiti, Yordan Alvarez, Nolan Ryan

Rollie Fingers, Zack Gelof, Catfish Hunter

Kevin Mitchell, Masataka Yoshida, Hideo Nomo

Edited by Moose Milligan

Well, I blew two answers today guessing Gary Sheffield for Brewers LF and RF.   Completely forgot that he was exclusively an infielder when he first came up, even playing a bit of SS.   I’ll have to remember that the next time a Brewers SS question shows up!

Pretty easy grid today if you weren’t trying to score well and just wanted a 9/9.   Sheffield was a greedy answer.  

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I blew two answers today guessing Gary Sheffield for Brewers LF and RF.   Completely forgot that he was exclusively an infielder when he first came up, even playing a bit of SS.   I’ll have to remember that the next time a Brewers SS question shows up!

Pretty easy grid today if you weren’t trying to score well and just wanted a 9/9.   Sheffield was a greedy answer.  

Today's category was a weird one with all nine grids naming a player that had played at least one game in one of the three outfield positions. I got a 9/9 58, but I wasn't too sure on a couple of my guesses like Lonnie Smith for the Braves in LF.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.980841da6b36993fa23120a42f89efe9.png

9/9, 28.

I was able to use 7 Orioles, then filled the other two squares where I couldn't think of Orioles, with guys I hoped would be low %

Spoiler

Braves:  Barry Bonnell, Mike Devereauz, Nick Markakis (13%, almost half my rarity points)

Nats(Expos):  Gary Roenicke, Tim Raines, Ken Singleton

Brewers:  Ben Ogilvie, Keon Broxton Jeffrey Hammonds

• Upvote 1