🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
Play at:
https://immaculategrid.com
@immaculategrid x @baseball_ref

Marty Cordova, Jim Hardin, Bobby Grich

Luis Tiant, Sonny Siebert, Kenny Lofton

A.J. Pierzynski, Gary Peters, Dick Allen

I’m surprised both of us picked Gary Peters.  My first full year of following baseball closely was 1967.  The White Sox made a nice run that year and finished 3 games out, while Peters won 16 games.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m surprised both of us picked Gary Peters.  My first full year of following baseball closely was 1967.  The White Sox made a nice run that year and finished 3 games out, while Peters won 16 games.  

I think the 67 series is the first one I vaguely remember watching on tv.   I had Gary Peters baseball card a couple of years later.  

I think I technically started following the Orioles in 1968 because I remember reading about Tom Phoebus’ no hitter in the Newark Star Ledger and being happy about it.

Edited by RZNJ

9/9 50

Spoiler

I used Steve Carlton for a different box than Moose did.

24 of my 50 points came on my Orioles/Twins box

Nelson Cruz (24%), Dennis Martinez (0.9%), Tim Raines (0.2%)

Rick Dempsey (0.1%), Jaret Wright (1%), Steve Carlton (0.3%).

AJ Pierzynski (10%), Britt Burns (0.8%), Sammy Sosa (2%).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I'm a few years younger than you guys and I guess it makes all the difference.   I've never even heard of Peters.

Just now, SteveA said:

I'm a few years younger than you guys and I guess it makes all the difference.   I've never even heard of Peters.

Yeah, he’s just the type of pitcher who slips away over time.   Peters won 20 games once, and won an ERA title twice.  He did those things before I was following baseball closely and I didn’t remember either of those things until I looked at his BB-ref page.

1967 was pretty epic.  Four teams finished within 3 games of first place and three teams were in it on the final day.  Boston and Minnesota were tied and playing each other on the final day, with Detroit a half-game back and in position to tie the winner of the Boston-Minnesota game if they couid sweep a doubleheader with the Angels.  Boston beat Minnesota, Detroit won their opener but lost the nightcap to the Angels, and Boston beat out the Twins and Tigers by a game for the pennant.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, he’s just the type of pitcher who slips away over time.   Peters won 20 games once, and won an ERA title twice.  He did those things before I was following baseball closely and I didn’t remember either of those things until I looked at his BB-ref page.

1967 was pretty epic.  Four teams finished within 3 games of first place and three teams were in it on the final day.  Boston and Minnesota were tied and playing each other on the final day, with Detroit a half-game back and in position to tie the winner of the Boston-Minnesota game if they couid sweep a doubleheader with the Angels.  Boston beat Minnesota, Detroit won their opener but lost the nightcap to the Angels, and Boston beat out the Twins and Tigers by a game for the pennant.  

I’ve never heard of him either but it looks like he had a fine career. Rookie of the Year, too…after coming up for cups of coffee for the previous four seasons. 

I wonder what the record is for most seasons appeared in before winning a Rookie of the Year award? I bet it’s him. Did anyone appear in five seasons prior to winning the rookie of the year in their sixth?

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Gary Peters was known as a pretty good hitting pitcher too.  Lifetime .601 OPS with 19 home runs.   I have no memory of seeing him on TV but the baseball card sticks in my mind.    We use to flip cards and play colors and, unfortunately,  attach them to the spokes of our bikes to get a little motor sound.  Lol

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

⚾️ Immaculate Grid 267 9/9:
Rarity: 36
IMMACULATE!
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
Play at:
https://immaculategrid.com
@immaculategrid x @baseball_ref

Willie Montañez, Lenny Dykstra, Greg Luzinski

Tony Muser, Magglio Ordóñez, Ron Kittle

Enos Cabell, Cesar Cedeño, Jim Wynn (The Toy Cannon)

I also had Kittle and Wynn.  I went old school with Chuck Klein for my Phillies 30 HR guy.   

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Who’d you put down in the Cubs row?

Glenn Beckert, Andre Dawson, Fergie Jenkins.  I thought of Jon Lester for the Cubs 2000 K but wasn’t sure he’d reached that total.  Turns out he did and I’m sure I would nave saved some points there.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Glenn Beckert, Andre Dawson, Fergie Jenkins.  I thought of Jon Lester for the Cubs 2000 K but wasn’t sure he’d reached that total.  Turns out he did and I’m sure I would nave saved some points there.   

Ha.  That’s exactly who I put in my Cubs line but I flamed out trying to get cute with 2,000 K’s with Ron Guidry and Whitey Ford.