The City Connect Uniforms

BraveOriole

39 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Weaver managed in a different era.  Now even the bums are millionaires.  Weaver couldn't manage in today's game.

I wouldn't say that so cavalierly, Weaver was way ahead of his time in terms of data and scouting.  Talent transcends eras, I think Earl would do just fine.

These uniforms can stay in June where it looks like they belong. Hopefully last time we ever see them. And Thank God it's finally July 1

If they try this gimmick again, get it right and wrap the O's in the Maryland flag 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Weaver managed in a different era.  Now even the bums are millionaires.  Weaver couldn't manage in today's game.

He could have ..but would have had a stroke and died. 

They once asked Ty Cobb late in his life what he thought he would hit against today’s pitchers. 
The alltime great said “Oh probably .270” 

The interviewer said “I am surprised you would think it would be that low.” 

To which Ty repied. “well I am 73 years old” 

• Haha 1

I haven't seen this posted, and sorry if I'm repeating. 

The Athletic had a few writers rank the 20 City Connect unis that have been unveiled so far. The Orioles' PJs with frilly sleeves were 19th, ahead of the tied-for-last Rangers and Giants. 
 https://theathletic.com/4633605/2023/06/28/mlb-city-connect-uniforms-ranked/

ESPN ranked them 20th out of 20.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31631004/ranking-mlb-city-connect-uniforms

Johnny Cash and Roy Orbison aren't around, but I think hey would have liked the look.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ScGO's said:

These uniforms can stay in June where it looks like they belong. Hopefully last time we ever see them. And Thank God it's finally July 1

If they try this gimmick again, get it right and wrap the O's in the Maryland flag 

They have nothing to do with June.   We are going to wear them for every Friday home game the rest of the year.

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

They have nothing to do with June.   We are going to wear them for every Friday home game the rest of the year.

Nike paid a billion to MLB(~3M a season per team) in the most recent apparel deal.  The City Connect jerseys aren't going anywhere.

24 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Looks like we’ll have to revise the old Milwaukee Braves chant….. White, Black or Orange or pray for rain!

5 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

We'll have to disagree.  Moreover, Paul Richards brought in the talent.

I believe he was referring to Weaver as the talent, not the players Richards brought in.  Weaver was using analytics before computers were a thing.  He definitely would have thrived as a manager in today's game.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TraditionRich said:

I believe he was referring to Weaver as the talent, not the players Richards brought in.  Weaver was using analytics before computers were a thing.  He definitely would have thrived as a manager in today's game.  

I don't think he had the interpersonal skills to hack it.

As for being analytical?

Maybe, but La Russa was known for being ahead of the curve as a young manager and he sure couldn't adjust to the modern game.