Time for Dean and the Bun to go...

Matt S

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Agreed. Another favorite OH move: “This guy sucks, but maybe other teams won’t know about it and we can get some prospects for him!”

Hey Moose. Why do you think I said package him with prospects?

I said nothing about getting prospects, bud. Keep on cherry picking your narrative, though.

The other favorite OH move is Moose , the resident know it all.

Edited by Matt S
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

GRod being bad has really hurt this team despite the record. Really be nice if he can get back up here and perform the way we thought.

Yeah.  Before the season I figured GRod would be at least a solid middle of the rotation guy at this point, and I was hoping Means would be returning around now. Without those two things happening there really is no back up plan. Gotta run what we brung, or else trade prospects for arms. I like this year's team but I am hesitant to jeopardize too much of the future to win now.

• Upvote 1

At the beginning of last year, there was some reporting on Chirinos setting up in the middle of the plate, and trying to coax a lot of strikes.

Some of that I felt was a bit of a desperation move because the Org knew it had so few credible pitchers, it needed to run risk to complete 1425 innings.

A basic push pull of pitching is you can risk yielding walks, or home runs.    Collectively we're still struggling to make innings each month, and just okay pitchers like Kremer need to throw a lot of strikes for the ballclub.    Its getting hot in Baltimore in the summertime.

Just a couple dozen games to the Trade Deadline.

Month of June, the Arms ranked better MLB-wide in fWAR than the Bats.

Bad stretch of late but I think Gibson and Kremer are capable enough back end guys. Wells and Bradish more middle of the rotation guys. We all knew the rotation was a concern coming into the season. Nothing (negatives really) coming out of Irvin, Grayson, and Hall has hurt. 

Edited by Matt Bennett

I don't post a lot but agree not every pitcher makes it thru the year without a few clunkers. Like it has been stated he has been very good for 9/11 starts with era 3.32 or something like that. I will take that 100/100 times with any pitcher.

Who know maybe the 90 minute rain delay messed him up, so need to wait and see how he does going forward.  We have all of July to decide to include him in a package or roll with him to the playoffs. I think he will be fine.

I know Kremer has been frustrating to watch. For me, it isn’t the stuff, but the execution. He came into the year talking about having different shapes of pitches. He has at least seven different-shaped pitches: 4 seam, 2 seam, slider, sweeper, curve, change and cutter. 

It’s difficult to be able to keep all of them sharp. Is it time for focus on mastering 3-4 pitches and put some others on the shelf? Chris Holt certainly knows better than me, but to have consistency and be able to deliver competitive pitches in key moments, Dean has to be able to execute better. 

1 hour ago, Matt Bennett said:

Bad stretch of late but I think Gibson and Kremer are capable enough back end guys. Wells and Bradish more middle of the rotation guys. We all knew the rotation was a concern coming into the season. Nothing (negatives really) coming out of Irvin, Grayson, and Hall has hurt. 

Not to mention the dropoff of last year's backup tier, Voth, Watkins, and Zimmermann.

Edited by now

1 hour ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Not a big fan of the thread title. What does the bun have to do with anything, other than being childish? These are professionals, not video game characters. And they are Orioles! Why take idiotic shots at their appearances?

That's generally how people act out instead of being factual.

As far as Kremer goes, he's a decent 4/5 starter. Having him and Gibson kinda crap the bed at the same time makes the rotation looks really shaky. 

I don't believe that they are a 90+ win team as currently constructed, but there's still some time to get righted. Banking early wins does buy a little bit of time. NY is getting healthy and they were never going to just go away. It'll be interesting leading up to the deadline on how much Elias is willing to do 

40 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I know Kremer has been frustrating to watch. For me, it isn’t the stuff, but the execution. He came into the year talking about having different shapes of pitches. He has at least seven different-shaped pitches: 4 seam, 2 seam, slider, sweeper, curve, change and cutter. 

It’s difficult to be able to keep all of them sharp. Is it time for focus on mastering 3-4 pitches and put some others on the shelf? Chris Holt certainly knows better than me, but to have consistency and be able to deliver competitive pitches in key moments, Dean has to be able to execute better. 

There's a shtick on some podcasts about a decision flow chart for pitchers that goes like:

-Do you throw 7 pitches?

-If Yes, are you Yu Darvish?

-If No, stop that.

But I'm sure in the last few years, the art/science of training just about any pitcher any kind of spin has progressed.    There have been one or two anecdotes from Orioles pitchers about Holt asking them to try something in a bullpen and them doing it in a game like four days later.

Its been a minute since Clayton Kershaw held the ball all through his childhood to master its properties.    Now its like:

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, bpilktree said:

He has given up 3 runs or less in 9 of his last 11 starts but yeah let’s just get rid of him.   We have lots of pitchers in AAA just knocking down the door right?  

And yet he’s still a replacement level pitcher for the season.  I do agree with your point that we have no one to replace him. 

He was awful last night, no question.  I only go to 1-2 games a year and I had to sit through this absolute steamer....   And they ran out of bucket hats and I missed out even though I got there 40 minutes early!

My concerns- Lost velocity- fastest pitch timed at 93 MPH on the stadium gun- don't know if this is accurate but many fastballs in the very hittable 90-91 range.  Poor command- behind every hitter, walking leadoff batters, bouncing a lot of pitches in the dirt.  He seemed to know he didn't have it last night- body language was sagging from the first inning.

I certainly don't think he's tradeable... And who else can we start?  I hear he's a super nice guy- I'll be rooting for him to turn it around...

49 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

He was awful last night, no question.  I only go to 1-2 games a year and I had to sit through this absolute steamer....   And they ran out of bucket hats and I missed out even though I got there 40 minutes early!

My concerns- Lost velocity- fastest pitch timed at 93 MPH on the stadium gun- don't know if this is accurate but many fastballs in the very hittable 90-91 range.  Poor command- behind every hitter, walking leadoff batters, bouncing a lot of pitches in the dirt.  He seemed to know he didn't have it last night- body language was sagging from the first inning.

I certainly don't think he's tradeable... And who else can we start?  I hear he's a super nice guy- I'll be rooting for him to turn it around...

Well, you made me look.    Kremer 4 seamer was 93-96 all the time he was in the game.   The sinker was 88-91.   He use changeups and cutters alot.   Velo didn't seem to be the problem.  Location was.