We need reinforcements

ofan239

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

We needed those two things in the offseason

Exactly.  We are mainly what we are at this point.  Which is frustrating, because we have the base to be so much more. 

Regardless of where the rest of this season goes, if we do the same thing next off season (ie, fail to find a way to bring in some quality pitchers to reinforce this strong core), I could see torches and pitchforks marching on down to the warehouse.

• Thanks 1

Make no mistake, the W-L record says this is a season worth investing in, but I suspect the price of pitching over the next month will be so high that I can see the O's internally deciding to punt until next year.  The rationale will include the full season availability of Means and Rodriguez in 2024 along with the development of Wells and Bradish yada, yada, yada, and voila - only one more expensive pitcher required.  And maybe there's something to that but cold comfort nonetheless.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

Make no mistake, the W-L record says this is a season worth investing in, but I suspect the price of pitching over the next month will be so high that I can see the O's internally deciding to punt until next year.  The rationale will include the full season availability of Means and Rodriguez in 2024 along with the development of Wells and Bradish yada, yada, yada, and voila - only one more expensive pitcher required.  And maybe there's something to that but cold comfort nonetheless.

Elias has been exactly the same as any other Oriole GM in the last 25 years thus far in his tenure in the specific arena of trades .. small and non risk taking and unimaginative and always mostly dictated by the economics of Angelos et al. 

I have patiently waited, supporting and understanding the rebuild process and have been beyond happy with this season to date.. but if he does not go bolder this month, no matter the rationale.. I will not be supportive of that decision 

• Upvote 1

I agree the O's need to change some things.    

1) Play Westburg everyday at 2B.

2) I know this is sacrilege but Gunnar and Urias are not hitting lefties.   Doing good vs righties.   I would call up Ortiz to play 3B vs lefties and have Mateo play SS vs lefties.

3) I would love to see Cowser up but honestly there is no where to play him.

4)  Loved what I saw from Vespi yesterday.    Keep pitching that guy.

5) Tomorrow is a big start for Irvin.   I am holding judgement for a day.

6) I am in favor of promoting GRod to the rotation.   

Edited by wildcard

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Bassitt would have looked good in the O's rotation w/ his 11 quality starts and close to 100 innings.  Oh well, just have to wait and see what Elias is going to do.  Can't just throw this year away after this year started so good.

Sure they can.  If they falter it will just prove that they weren't ready so adding to the team would have been a waste.

• Upvote 2

I agree - we need help! After watching the Mariners and Reds, I came to the conclusion that those two young teams are more balanced than we are. Really like what I saw with the Reds. We need pitching plus a more balanced line-up. Everyone knows we need pitching. We are not alone in needing pitching. We can and should work on the lineup from within - this year.

Given all the factors surrounding the Orioles from ownership down that have been discussed here ad-nauseum, I'm not expecting a whole lot from here on in. I don't see this team as one or two trades away from being super competative through October. Hence I don't think it wise to spend assets just to get to the playoffs. Hence, in answer to a previous OP, I think whatever Elias can and does do in the next month+, should help the team longer term than just this year. 

I am not giving up. Just trying to be realistic with my Oriole expectations. Have a feeling the warts are really going to show this month. Hope I'm wrong!

• Upvote 1

I think the offense is going to be fine. As long as they don’t get ultra loyal to some retreads like Frazier, Mateo, and Mountcastle. 

The pitching, not so much. I could easily see Wells fading out, Means is a total mystery, the entire bullpen outside of Cano and Bautista are unreliable. I think acquiring a starter and multiple bullpen pieces should be on the list. It seems that those pulling the strings are not ready to consider this a competitive club despite the record. I don’t expect to see anything done except an Irvin-level move maybe. 

24 minutes ago, oriole said:

I think the offense is going to be fine. As long as they don’t get ultra loyal to some retreads like Frazier, Mateo, and Mountcastle. 

The pitching, not so much. I could easily see Wells fading out, Means is a total mystery, the entire bullpen outside of Cano and Bautista are unreliable. I think acquiring a starter and multiple bullpen pieces should be on the list. It seems that those pulling the strings are not ready to consider this a competitive club despite the record. I don’t expect to see anything done except an Irvin-level move maybe. 

That is scary to think about when Wells has been the O's only really reliable starter.