If the Mets continue to scuffle...

connja

Have to think both Verlander and Scherzer would be available.  Both have contracts for the remainder of this year plus next year at about $43mm per.  Either could be a great fit for the O's as they make a playoff push.

What do you all think the prospect cost would be?  Obviously would be higher if we look for the Mets to pick up some of the $$.

Interested?

Picking up one of those guys is extremely tempting, but I'm not sure if I'd want either of them next year.  Even though it's only one season to carry that salary, I'm not worried about that amount of money...both of those guys have defied how a pitcher is supposed to age.  At some point, they're going to be ineffective and I don't want that happening to either one of them if they're on this team.  And even if one of them was great for us this year and next year, that only covers us going into 2025.  Elias has to figure out a way to get some legit top of the rotation guys who aren't in their late 30s, early 40s who can be a centerpiece for the rotation for the long haul.  Verlander/Scherzer aren't long term options, they're really nice shiny band-aids for a larger problem.

I know, I know, think about all of the wisdom Verlander could impart on a guy like G-Rod, blah blah blah, veteranosity, etc.  That stuff is nice but I don't know if it's worth giving up the prospects...depending, of course, on who those prospects are.

I'm not freaked out to give up some good prospects if the return makes sense.  But for a pitcher like Verlander or Scherzer who are at the end of their careers, I'm not so sure.  If we really were one SP away from getting over the hump, I might be more inclined...but, IMO, we need two SPs and some significant bullpen help to be a legit contender.  

• Upvote 2

I like both of those guys as pitchers and what they've done in their careers, but at 38-40 years old, in the year 2023 they've shown signs of slowing down so it's a big concern. Scherzer got suspended for using sticky stuff, and it has to make you think about what other unethical things is he doing to give himself an edge? And if you take away those little cheats, how bad of a pitcher is he actually?

Processing risk/reward is always important in matters like this. Especially when you're dealing with 40 year old p layers who are making over $40 in just one single season. Just one of those guys alone is making 4/5ths of the entire Orioles payroll!

If we think the Angelos family is tight now,  just wait until Elias trades for a pitcher closer to getting an AARP card than he was getting his id to buy beer, and the pitcher fails.

There has to be a pitcher available that has a couple of years left and is productive.

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

To eat those salaries at that age, I doubt the prospect cost would be very steep. Unless the Mets eat most of the salary. Maybe I’m wrong. 

I this is correct. The Mets if they sell are looking to save money. If the Orioles took salary the cost should be pretty fair. It is tempting and if the Mets decide to do this there will be suitors. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I this is correct. The Mets if they sell are looking to save money. If the Orioles took salary the cost should be pretty fair. It is tempting and if the Mets decide to do this there will be suitors. 

Remember the Mets save a buck eighty for every dollar they shave off the payroll.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

Vwrlander still appears to have something left.  I would be interested but at the Norby level

Norby seems like an overpay considering Verlander’s salary for this year and next.  The prospect cost should be basically nothing unless the Mets are eating a huge portion of that salary. 

11 hours ago, connja said:

Have to think both Verlander and Scherzer would be available.  Both have contracts for the remainder of this year plus next year at about $43mm per.  Either could be a great fit for the O's as they make a playoff push.

What do you all think the prospect cost would be?  Obviously would be higher if we look for the Mets to pick up some of the $$.

Interested?

Zero prospect cost. I think that you may be thinking of what Verlander and Scherzer were not who they have been this season. For their performance, the only way those two are traded is in a post August 1 clear waivers kind of deal. I’ve heard a bunch of analysts say things like those contracts are untradeable and I tend to agree. Both are being grossly overpaid for their performances this year.

And this is coming from someone who wants the O’s to trade very much for a frontline pitcher. I’m not one of those prospect hoarder fans. But I actually want good players who can help. Both Mets pitchers have seen better days and are not who they used to be. 

If the O’s took on either contract and gave up any kind of valued prospect, I would think an impersonator has assumed Elias’ identity.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Zero prospect cost. I think that you may be thinking of what Verlander and Scherzer were not who they have been this season. For their performance, the only way those two are traded is in a post August 1 clear waivers kind of deal. I’ve heard a bunch of analysts say things like those contracts are untradeable and I tend to agree. Both are being grossly overpaid for their performances this year.

And this is coming from someone who wants the O’s to trade very much for a frontline pitcher. I’m not one of those prospect hoarder fans. But I actually want good players who can help. Both Mets pitchers have seen better days and are not who they used to be. 

If the O’s took on either contract and gave up any kind of valued prospect, I would think an impersonator has assumed John's identity.

ftfy