What can be done to fix the Bullpen?

casadeozo

From the naked eye it seems we have no one who can be relied on before the 8th inning. 

It certainly seems dire at this point and we dont have anyone in AAA that appears to be an answer.

Wondering who would be someone for Elias to target or is this team who they are?

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Seemed like Perez had maybe turned a corner before hitting IL. Baker and Baumann don't look good right now. Cano is fine but probably won't sustain his first half. We could definitely use at least one more arm. Tate and Givens would have been nice.

Right I was going to mention Cano has been getting hit hard but has gotten out of a few jams as of late.

Feel like we need 2-3 more arms.

They are who they are because Givens and Tate are on the shelf and Hyde has burned most of the rest out halfway thru the season by playing 1 inning matchup too early in games. Other than Bautista nobody has a set role and I believe that affects their mental prep before they come in. Last year after the Lopez trade, Bautista was Closer and Perez, Baker were effective at Setup. We needed 1 more so Givens but both he and Tate are out. But in ST Cano comes out of nowhere and Hyde wants his shiny new toy even though Cano's career says his ST performance is unsustainable. Perez and Baker get "demoted" to 1-inning matchup guys who can't anticipate who the next man up is during the game. There are 6 guys with 33 to 39 appearances covering 30-41 innings at about the midpoint. None of them have carried that load previously except Baumann possibly. The optionable long men (Akin, Zimmerman) aren't being used as long men, don't have the same usage so aren't eating innings, and haven't ridden the Norfolk shuttle enough. Same with Voth but he can't be optioned. I would put Baumann in this category but Hyde uses him in setup mode half the time. That leaves you with Columbe, a great pickup, who can be a fireman but is used as a 1 inning guy (36 appearances-29 inn). Obviously, I have a issue with Hyde's use of the BP. 

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Charles and a trade 

Wandisson Charles would be nice. Also, if DL Hall could get things figured out. Are we going to get anything out of Givens and Tate?  I’ve been suggesting a bad contract swap with the Twins to bring Jorge Lopez back for Givens + cash/prospect to balance out the salaries.