What can be done to fix the Bullpen?

casadeozo

We’ve ran the pen into the ground. Even the lightning in a bottle Cano has been used a crazy amount since he was recalled. We got our miracle to fix the pen and ran him down too. Now we need another one. 

DL Hall is an option that we really failed at developing. He should’ve been strictly a reliever after he looked good at the Tigers earlier this season. We had something there. Hopefully we can get that back. 

Yesterday on the TBS national broadcast, the announcers were stirring the Preller Padres pot during a Juan Soto PA suggesting that if it breaks bad, even he could be recycled.

Here is the BP writeup on what the Mets did the other day to acquire a decent middle reliever:

The Seattle Mariners trade RHP Trevor Gott and RHP Chris Flexen to the New York Mets for LHP Zach Muckenhirn

The New York Mets designate RHP Chris Flexen for assignment.
The Mariners had put Flexen on waivers earlier in the week, and were in danger of having to pay him to play in Triple-A Tacoma. Faced with this unthinkable conundrum, the team instead packaged his contract with one of their major free agent acquisitions of the past offseason in Gott, thus wiping nearly $5 million off their books at the cost of a competent middle reliever.

The 30-year-old right-hander was off to one of the best years of his career in spite of a 4.03 ERA; he gave up five runs to Texas on June 4 and then immediately hit the IL with back spasms, but owns a 1.75 ERA and 1.89 FIP through May. He’s a contact suppression guy who primarily leans on three fastballs, rather than worry about those new-fangled “out pitches” the kids are all talking about. Flexen, meanwhile, belongs in Triple-A for the time being, where someone can help him straighten out his repertoire. He’s not a major-league pitcher in his current form, that form being “throws flat high-80s fastballs surprisingly often.”

The Mariners, meanwhile, did what they did best. They sourced and crafted relief talent, a speciality they’re among the best in the majors at doing. And then they converted that resource into money that doesn’t help the team on the field, another thing they’re surprisingly good at. Muckenhirn, meanwhile, is a 28-year-old reliever with six major-league innings and a 91-mph fastball. With any luck, he’ll be raw material to be converted into another Trevor Gott: a trade tree that only grows money. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If our recipe for success hinges so much on the bullpen, then we should've gotten aggressive and brought in Chapman.  IDK, where we go from here.  We need a band aid to even make it to the trade deadline.  

Any reliever from a seller can be had … if one puts up the prospect price.  Elias may not be willing to go the necessary distance for this season if it upends his planning for the future.

4 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Any reliever from a seller can be had … if one puts up the prospect price.  Elias may not be willing to go the necessary distance for this season if it upends his planning for the future.

What relievers are available right now, and better than what we have?  Amir Garret has a 1.6 WHIP.  Hunter Harvey is ok, but not alot of Ks.  The only teams "out of it" right now look to be the A's, Royals, Rockies, Nats, and Cardinals.  Jordan Hicks from the Cards is an interesting name.  

29 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What relievers are available right now, and better than what we have?  Amir Garret has a 1.6 WHIP.  Hunter Harvey is ok, but not alot of Ks.  The only teams "out of it" right now look to be the A's, Royals, Rockies, Nats, and Cardinals.  Jordan Hicks from the Cards is an interesting name.  

Tigers are 10.5 games out -Michael Lorenzen or adding Eduardo and moving one of our five to the bullpen 

White Sox are 11.5 out of last playoff spot -could obtain Giolito and move one of our five to pen and/or Kendall Graveman out if pen 

the teams you mentioned have options too 

The teams at 5.5-6.5 games out .. we shall see if they are sellers or not in next weeks but include Padres, Seattle, Pirates .. Hader, Speier, Bednar would be expensive but strong upgrades 

probably others 

Just now, tntoriole said:

Tigers are 10.5 games out -Michael Lorenzen or adding Eduardo and moving one of our five to the bullpen 

White Sox are 11.5 out of last playoff spot -could obtain Giolito and move one of our five to pen and/or Kendall Graveman out if pen 

The teams at 5.5-6.5 games out .. we shall see if they are sellers or not in next weeks but include Padres, Seattle, Pirates .. Hader, Speier, Bednar would be expensive but strong upgrades 

probably others 

I would trade my left nut for Bednar. Love that guy. Not a free agent until 2027. It would be the perfect guy to add IMO. Doubtful it happens though. 

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

probably others 

Detroit is only 5.5 GB in the Central.  The White Sox are 7 GB and came into the season with expectations.  I don't see those two selling right now.  The Padres aren't selling.  They are in the same place as the Mets.  The Mariners only "sold" to dump $5 Million in salary.  I just don't see a market right now.  Definitely not a savior.  Chapman fit the bill, but he's gone.  Elias missed an opportunity there.  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Detroit is only 5.5 GB in the Central.  The White Sox are 7 GB and came into the season with expectations.  I don't see those two selling right now.  The Padres aren't selling.  They are in the same place as the Mets.  The Mariners only "sold" to dump $5 Million in salary.  I just don't see a market right now.  Definitely not a savior.  Chapman fit the bill, but he's gone.  Elias missed an opportunity there.  

I was talking about games out of playoff spot , not winning the Central .. the sports beat writers in Chicago and Detroit both are talking sell.. so we shall see .. but if you overpay then they would deal as would any of the ones mentioned 

Elias may have to pay above what his comfort zone is or otherwise go with what we have and wait for 2024 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You asked for specifics .. i gave you what I would do .. but Elias will do what he will do 

Well, they also selected the contract of Eduard Bazardo, 10.5 K/9 vs 2.7 BB/9 (3.9 K/BB), otherwise an 8-yr minor leaguer with some ML time with BOS in 2019.  I wonder if he'll be used tonight, kinda the way Vallimont was on Monday?

• Upvote 1

Stroman+Merryweather. Despite Merryweather's just ok, 3.47 ERA, he's been absolutely dominant outside of a couple outings this year. 8 of his 14 ER have come in 2 of his 37 appearances. Since his first appearance of the year he's posted a 2.27 ERA, 2.65  FIP, 12.62 K/9 spanning 35 2/3 IP