Our Best "Touchable" Trade Bait is.........

Sanity Check

56 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Let’s assume that our rotation after the ASB will be Wells, Bradish, Kremer, Gibson, Rodriguez. Who is coming out of the rotation for a Giolito or Montgomery? Is Giolito or Montgomery an upgrade enough to justify a trade?  

Our best touchable trade bait is probably Urias, Mateo, Norby, Stowers, Vavra, and McKenna. 

I don't think there are any teams clamoring to get the guys that you named to improve their teams.  And of those guys, only Norby or Stowers might intrigue other teams.  Urias won't bring back much and the other two are bench players at best.

Why does Norby not have value?  Just because we have a loaded IF/COF doesn’t mean that Norby still isn’t the 68th ranked prospect in the game currently. He’s only 23. He had a monster year last year. 

With all of our LH bats, Norby actually has value as a RH bench player. He’s the type of cheap bat you use for the bench. McKenna is out of options next year he won’t be back. Our 4th and 5th OF doesn’t really have to play CF because we have Cowser that can play there if need be.

I see Norby as an up/down bat to be used for matchups and to cover injuries over 162. 

I don’t see Norby or Ortiz traded. Especially not just given away because of our depth currently. I see those two as direct replacements for Mateo and McKenna next year.  Mateo, McKenna, and Mountcastle will all be dealt/DFA’d over the offseason.  Frazier and Hicks will be FA.

What other team can offer more than the 68th best prospect for a rental SP for 12 GS? 

Edited by sportsfan8703

6 minutes ago, connja said:

The highest upside infield configuration for the future is with Henderson, Holiday, Westburg and Mayo (1B).  Everyone else is touchable IMO.

Do we see Kjerstad as a possible 1B? He's got 4 errors in 19 GS which is not super promising. So far he has 20 GS at 1B vs 35 in LF/RF. 

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Best in terms of likely return? Or most expendable? Or best return relative to expenditure? I think the last is the most interesting. Maybe Norby or Basallo. 

"Best" in terms of who another team would really want, and that we would likely be willing to part with.  I called that "touchable", but apparently they all are.....personally, I don't see AR, GH, JW, CC, HK, GR or HK as players Elias is willing to part with at this time.

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Do we see Kjerstad as a possible 1B? He's got 4 errors in 19 GS which is not super promising. So far he has 20 GS at 1B vs 35 in LF/RF. 

It’s looking like we have something in O’Hearn versus RHP. He’ll be in Arb next year too. Kjerstad is a Santander/Hicks replacement for next year. Actually Stowers too if we move on from Santander. Remember Elias just isn’t giving guys away that will be very useful next year. Just because they’re not getting a shot this year. 

In looking at the Cardinals and White Sox rosters/farm system… it looks like they would want pitching in return. Both teams have a solid core of of position players, but for whatever reason they are just struggling this year. I think all we could offer is Povich. 

Would Povich be enough to land one of Giolito or Montgomery?  I don’t know if Elias would trade a SP. We don’t have much and Povich is in AA. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s looking like we have something in O’Hearn versus RHP. He’ll be in Arb next year too.

He might get too many RBI's to risk tendering....

He's putting himself in good position a few weeks shy of his 30th birthday to maybe double his ~$4M career earnings to date next season.

This has been a great run, but is it really going to induce a substantial fraction of an Adam Frazier contract from Elias?    Maybe he and Santander both are offseason trade bait.

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s fairly in line with what he did last year at Aberdeen, and I’m happy for him.  In a Recent ranking of the A’s rather lame farm system, Eric Lingenhagen graded Hernaiz at 40+ FV and ranked him 10th in the A’s system.  I am not losing any sleep over the trade.  

I'm not losing sleep either. But I wouldn't mind having him in our system, even if just as a possible trade piece. If he was putting up those numbers at Bowie at age 21 (almost 22) at any time other than now, he would be getting a decent amount of attention. We're getting spoiled. 

2 hours ago, oriole said:

Personally I really love the idea of a Henderson/Ortiz/Westburg infield for the next couple years til Holliday replaces Ortiz. I think if anyone is traded it should be the real fringe, yet still good, guys like Norby, Prieto, and Haskin. None of those guys have a real shot of getting enough playing time to even just prove they can take it to this level. 

I don't understand the logic of keeping Holliday down for 2 more years, just so Ortiz can play. It makes more sense to me, to try to get your best core of players to play together as long as possible, thus increasing you odds of winning championship(s).

Attempting to hold a space open for Ortiz seems forced and unnecessary. Gunnar seems more than capable of manning SS and giving us elite offense at that position. 

2 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

I don't disagree with you about preferring to see those other guys traded instead, but if I'm the other team trading with the Orioles, I don't think I'd settle for those guys if I'm giving up someone to help the Orioles rotation or bullpen right now.....I'd want Joey if I can't have Jordan or Gunnar or Jackson.

I'm looking at it through their eyes, not ours.

A bullpen piece for Gunnar or Holliday?? Did you mean to say this or am I reading what you wrote wrong?