Our Best "Touchable" Trade Bait is.........

Sanity Check

1 minute ago, doccat said:

I thought about starting a similar thread…

IMO-

Untouchable: Holliday, Mayo, Grayson Rodriguez

Borderline untouchable: Kjerstad, Cowser

Tradeable for a good return: Norby, Prieto, Ortiz, Mountcastle, Stowers, Hall

Where would you put Westburg and Ortiz within your categories?  And, I'm assuming you also have Adley and Gunnar as being untouchable?

2 hours ago, 7Mo said:

I agree that it's Joey Ortiz and I think there's a good chance that he goes on to have a nice career. I think Urias has more value than others think and maybe he nets a MLB bullpen arm that the O's feel like they can improve. 

I don't see Elias in the market for a rental or a TOR guy so maybe Norby or Prieto brings back a guy who is a viable starting pitcher in a year or so. A Povich/McDermott/Seth Johnson type target. 

I'm hoping Houston sees their dumpster fire at first and short left field wall and sends young pitching for Mountcastle but the above seems more likely than this. At the same time, Mountcastle would fit vs LHP on the O's better if Urias is dealt. Hopefully Houston or Philly sees more in him than that. 

No one is giving anything of value for Mountcastle?  Maybe a lottery ticket.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

A bullpen piece for Gunnar or Holliday?? Did you mean to say this or am I reading what you wrote wrong?

I was saying, if I was the OTHER team, if I can't have Jordan, Gunnar or Jackson (as in, they are untouchable...theoretically speaking), then I'd want at least Ortiz if I'm giving up a major league arm as a starter or bullpen upgrade.  In that scenario, I'm not settling for who the O's want to get off their roster.  Is that clearer?

On the other hand, I would gladly give up a very good piece from MY bullpen if I could get Gunnar or Holliday in return......not even a question.  But, that's not happening, either.

2 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

I was saying, if I was the OTHER team, if I can't have Jordan, Gunnar or Jackson (as in, they are untouchable...theoretically speaking), then I'd want at least Ortiz if I'm giving up a major league arm as a starter or bullpen upgrade.  In that scenario, I'm not settling for who the O's want to get off their roster.  Is that clearer?

On the other hand, I would gladly give up a very good piece from MY bullpen if I could get Gunnar or Holliday in return......not even a question.  But, that's not happening, either.

I appreciate the clarity. Did you see what the Royals got for Aroldis Chapman?

No one is asking the Orioles for Henderson or Holliday. That's not realistic and would probably be the end of discussions with Elias as he would quickly end the conversation and move on to a reasonable/sane team to trade with. You can ask for whatever you want, but there is a professional realm of realism and relationships that all of these teams must navigate through.

I imagine that it would be borderline insulting to do such a thing, as it would not not be considered serious and a waste of time. It would be equally preposterous for some one to call the Yankees and ask for Judge or call the Dodgers and ask for Betts or the Rays and ask for Wander Franco.

Besides, we are not looking for an elite level closer for our bullpen. We just need a good middle reliever/7th-8th inning guy.

41 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Would Povich be enough to land one of Giolito or Montgomery?  I don’t know if Elias would trade a SP. We don’t have much and Povich is in AA. 

Sure, but scarcity changes the math on how Elias views our SP prospects.

Are we really that undermanned with SP in a playoff series that we need an upgrade?

Wells, Bradish, GR/Means

NYY - Cole, Schmidt, German

Tor - Gausman, Berrios, Bassitt

TB - Eflin, Bradley, Opener

Minn - Lopez, Gray, Ryan

Hou - Valdez, Javier, Brown

Tex - Eovaldi, Gray, Perez  

12 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Mountcastle? I would take a league average reliever rental for him.

I doubt Mountcastle would fetch a league average reliever right now. Most likely Mountcastle will platoon with O’Hearn at 1B the rest of the season. 

Maybe some team thinks they can fix Mountcastle and will trade a decent middle order innings reliever to secure a deal. Renato Nunez was non-tendered putting up better numbers and that might end up being Mountcastle’s fate after the season. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Do we see Kjerstad as a possible 1B? He's got 4 errors in 19 GS which is not super promising. So far he has 20 GS at 1B vs 35 in LF/RF. 

I think he'd be wasted there. He's got plenty of glove for RF.

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Are we really that undermanned with SP in a playoff series that we need an upgrade?

Wells, Bradish, GR/Means

NYY - Cole, Schmidt, German

Tor - Gausman, Berrios, Bassitt

TB - Eflin, Bradley, Opener

Minn - Lopez, Gray, Ryan

Hou - Valdez, Javier, Brown

Tex - Eovaldi, Gray, Perez  

Can’t pencil in Grayson and Means as playoff starters and their presence shouldn’t stop Elias from acquiring a starting pitcher to anchor the rotation.

I’d rather have too much pitching over forcing Grayson or Means when they aren’t ready.

2 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

I think recently we have been quick to call players "redundant". Ortiz could take Mateo and Frazier's at-bats right now and that would result in legitimate playing time. Going forward, Urias may be not have as much appeal as he turns 30 and becomes more expensive. Yeah Holliday looks special but he is 19 and in A ball. Henderson hasn't shown he can hit LHP and there's uncertainty around Westburg (make no mistake I believe in both of them very much). Norby hasn't been outstanding for the Tides when you consider the analysis from @Frobbythat the AAA hitting environment is juiced this year. Prieto isn't that highly regarded of a prospect. Even if everyone works out it's a good thing to have talented players "on your bench". You need more than 3 players to take up your 2B/SS/3B at-bats. Joey Ortiz is not blocked now or in the near future. 

I'm not saying that Jackson Holliday is or will be the second coming of A Rod. But I have heard several people who evaluate prospects professional say that he could hit Major League pitching right now. I don't think it's a matter of "well wait and see we are not sure if he's that good with him" especially not with the bat.

He most likely is a better offensive player RIGHT NOW than Joey Ortiz. And that is not meant in any way as a knock on Ortiz.

I however, disagree with you idea of using top prospects as bench players in order to sort of hedge your bets against regression of others. IMO that's not how you maximize the value of org assets. I would hate to see top 100 prospects be used as bench or platoon players,  just because we are afraid or that risk adverse. 

Yes Elias will have to take some risks/chances but that comes along with the territory of a GM who is trying to build a roster for title contention.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I am not trading Ortiz.  He is probably my 2B next year.    

I am not trading Hall.  He is at least a reliever next year.

I am not trading Urias.  He is a valued Utility IF next year.

I agree that Hays, Mullins and Santander are off the table at the deadline.  I would trade Santander this off season.

On the table at the deadline: Hicks, Frazier, Stowers, Norby, and Haskin.    

I doubt that Hicks or Frazier could get you anything more than cash considerations or a player to be named later.

Anybody could have chosen to sign Hicks for nothing a month ago, didn't see too many takers at the time. And Frazier is overpaid for the production that he provides. There's not enough there with either player.