Our Best "Touchable" Trade Bait is.........

Sanity Check

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Holliday will be up mid June of next year at the latest. It’s going to be hard to hold him back. Even Aberdeen can only hold him to a .900 OPS. There’s still a half season left this year. 

I think that's a very aggressive scenario, but I'll be happy if he plays well enough to force it to happen.

I think we will trade from our MLB roster and Santander is the most expendable that has value.....I would look to trade him with a package to a team that needs offense like The Brewers or Cleveland for Bieber or Burnes......

My Untouchable List

Rutschman, Holliday, Henderson, Cowser, Kjerstad, Mayo, Westburg, Hays, Mullins,

Rodriguez, Bradish, Wells, Bautista, Cano

My Line-up 2024

1) Holliday - SS

2) Rutschman - C

3) Henderson - 3B

4) Mayo - 1B

5) Kjerstad - DH

6) Hays - LF

7) Cowser - RF

8 ) Westburg - 2B

9) Mullins - CF

34 minutes ago, deward said:

I think he'd be wasted there. He's got plenty of glove for RF.

But Mayo has plenty of arm for RF and then some.  70 FV according to the folks at Fangraphs.  So the question is, of the two, who would be the better long-term fit where.  I don't claim to have the answer, but I would definitely be giving Kjerstad some reps at 1B just as soon as Mountcastle moves on.  Both positions could be available as soon as next year.

Just now, 24fps said:

But Mayo has plenty of arm for RF and then some.  70 FV according to the folks at Fangraphs.  So the question is, of the two, who would be the better long-term fit where.  I don't claim to have the answer, but I would definitely be giving Kjerstad some reps at 1B just as soon as Mountcastle moves on.  Both positions could be available as soon as next year.

My thought is that Mayo, given that he already plays on the dirt, would be able to make a smoother transition over to 1B than Kjerstad. Makes more sense to me to let Kjerstad continue to play his natural position, if we assume that Mayo would have an easier time adjusting.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, oriole said:

I don’t know why anyone is getting hung up on my mention of 2 more years in the minors for Holliday. That’s not the point whatsoever, maybe he’ll be here to start 2025, I don’t know. Right now I don’t care. I’m saying I’d like to see what Ortiz can now and in the near future and I wouldn’t want to trade him. I won’t be terribly upset if they do, but I think the depth is there to trade from the “bottom” which just happens to still be very good players.

I think many took your post in the spirit it was intended.  I tend to read opinions as general direction more than the specific degree.  It gets tiring otherwise.  

34 minutes ago, oriole said:

I don’t know why anyone is getting hung up on my mention of 2 more years in the minors for Holliday. That’s not the point whatsoever, maybe he’ll be here to start 2025, I don’t know. Right now I don’t care. I’m saying I’d like to see what Ortiz can now and in the near future and I wouldn’t want to trade him. I won’t be terribly upset if they do, but I think the depth is there to trade from the “bottom” which just happens to still be very good players.

I think many took your post in the spirit it was intended.  I tend to read opinions as general direction more than the specific degree.  It gets tiring otherwise.  

For a controllable TOR starter, it's going to take one or more of the O's top prospects.  Obviously Holliday and Gunnar are off the table.  Everyone else should be in play.  I don't see any starters who are reasonably available I would part with Cowser for.  As far as a rental, the best player I would give up would be Norby, Hall, or Ortiz.  These guys could all become productive ML, just feel they are the least value.  Hall will hurt a lot if he goes to another team and quickly finds success.  I'm still not a believer in the O's developing pitching, especially starters. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

For a controllable TOR starter, it's going to take one or more of the O's top prospects.  Obviously Holliday and Gunnar are off the table.  Everyone else should be in play.  I don't see any starters who are reasonably available I would part with Cowser for.  As far as a rental, the best player I would give up would be Norby, Hall, or Ortiz.  These guys could all become productive ML, just feel they are the least value.  Hall will hurt a lot if he goes to another team and quickly finds success.  I'm still not a believer in the O's developing pitching, especially starters. 

I agree. Outside of Adley, Gunnar, Holliday everyone can be considered. 

This board is funny. It’s like the fat girl that lost a bunch of weight and came back for senior year looking amazing and gets cocky all of a sudden. All of a sudden you guys act like we’ve got all these untouchable pieces and that if any team wants to deal with us they can take our Norby/Ortiz scraps. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This board is funny. It’s like the fat girl that lost a bunch of weight and came back for senior year looking amazing and gets cocky all of a sudden. All of a sudden you guys act like we’ve got all these untouchable pieces and that if any team wants to deal with us they can take our Norby/Ortiz scraps. 

Why are Ortiz and Norby scraps?  Are we the pretty girl that only wants to view middle infielders with a 1.000 OPS in AAA as prospects?  

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Guys in the middle of most top 100 prospect lists are scraps now? Then scraps got Houston Verlander, Cole, and Greinke. Guys on big contracts don't usually require more than that kind of prospect capital. An ace with multiple years left on their first contract? Sure, that's going to cost and arm and a leg, but who's trading that away?  

4 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Austin Hays

Awfully tough to trade arguably the best hitter on the team right now in the middle of a pennant race. You almost never see that happen. In the offseason, it's definitely a possibility. But to make the trade now would be very risky. 

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

Manny also played with this 'BFF Schoop' for what, five years?  Not a couple weeks and then traded.  Apples and oranges.  No one thinks these guys are going to play their entire careers together.

This board tends to disregard the human element of player management generally speaking - when talking about demotions, benchings, or trading.  Its a factor, it just is.

Obviously there is a human element, but I don’t think the world will end for any of these guys if someone they’ve known in the minors for 2-4 years gets traded.