Coby Mayo...Trade Chip?

Answerman

7 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Coby Mayo belongs in Baltimore...he has Aaron Judge upside...or at least big power numbers and a better than average glove and arm...I'd want him to earn the job here..and he's not very far from doing just that...maybe mid June next year...meantime...this organisation is loaded with hitters and I think someone like Norby and Stowers might go...Mountcastle too...But not Coby...

He’s been mashing and will likely climb high on the prospect list but I wonder if Troy Glaus is his ceiling. Yes, 50 homer power but low OBP and out of baseball by like 31, 32?

2 hours ago, Answerman said:

- We could have said the same stuff about Mountcastle just three years ago.

I would push back on this notion that we could’ve said the “same stuff”.  Mounty never really had a season anything like what Mayo is having. 

Particularly the walk rate (which Mounty doesn’t even come close to even sniffing) but also Mayo’s ridiculous 616 SLG% right now (closest was 542 at Frederick in 2017).

I also think that with Mayo exploding this year to the degree that he is and his prospect ratings and such not quite catching up that we wouldn’t be selling him at his apex of value.  I agree with what someone else said earlier in this thread that he should be a consensus top 25 in all of baseball by seasons end.

Unless the O’s brass think he’s somehow a house of cards that’s gonna come crashing down, I hold onto him.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, banks703 said:

He’s been mashing and will likely climb high on the prospect list but I wonder if Troy Glaus is his ceiling. Yes, 50 homer power but low OBP and out of baseball by like 31, 32?

I’ve compared his bat profile to Thome.  HOF comps for the W!

34 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s untouchable for the names that are out there. Giolito is about the only arm that would be a big enough upgrade to target. He’s just a rental and won’t cost Mayo. 

Agreed.  I think he’s priced out of the market.  

2 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I’ve compared his bat profile to Thome.  HOF comps for the W!

Interesting. I am not sure that I see that myself but maybe you’ve seen more of him than me. I’ll take your word for it. 

The size and profile, position and power give me Glaus vibes. 

3 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Interesting. I am not sure that I see that myself but maybe you’ve seen more of him than me. I’ll take your word for it. 

The size and profile, position and power give me Glaus vibes. 

I get the Glaus comp.  Especially size and position.  His swing and farm-boy strength reminds me of Thome.

30 minutes ago, banks703 said:

A healthy Troy Glaus would be a fantastic ceiling. I don't know why you think Glaus was low OBP, he walked 100 times a year at his peak and never less than 80 in any full season of games. He was undone by shoulder and back injuries in his early 30s, so hopefully Mayo can avoid that.

• Upvote 1

With the way Mayo is hitting his promotion to AAA is imminent to rejoin his old roommate, if only briefly. With the way Kjerstad is hitting his promotion to the show waits only for the August 31 Gunnar date to preserve rookie status. Norfolk is going to be something thru August,