Mountcastle back, Zimmermann down

deward

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he didn't immediately inform the team that's a bad look for him.  That's not something you want to mess around with.

I agree, but it's understandable too.  Look at it from the other side - if players thought that management would behave the way a lot of posters in this thread are demanding it behave towards Mountcastle, every one of those players would try to hide injuries up to and including fresh amputations.

He should have spoken up sooner, but it's to his credit that he didn't hide it and get hurt.

11 hours ago, 24fps said:

Like he always does?  Last year over the course of the entire season he OPSed 48 points higher vs RHP than LHP. 

Point taken.  Poor choice of words to say "Always".  I should have referred more to the recent struggles he's having hitting RHP.  Good call out.

With so many really good left handed hitters (including the switch hitters), and some right-handed hitters that handle RHP better right now, I'd agree with putting Ryan in situations where he can best succeed, and not where he's been more challenged, it that makes it any clearer.

Mountcastle should play vs LH SP, and he’ll come into games late when teams bring in a lefty to face O’Hearn. It’s a 40-60 role with O’Hearn. 

The question is… who goes down for Mountcastle?  One of Urias or Mateo to the IL?  Maybe Mountcastle is up only for a few games then he gets optioned back. 

20 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

This sucks. 

And whatever, I just don’t like watching the guy play baseball. His at bats are terrible to watch. I will grant that his defense is mediocre at best but that’s not a reason to keep trotting him out there. He’s not Keith Hernandez. 

@Can_of_cornhas yet to adequately address the fact that Mountcastle’s production has steadily dropped across the board since he came into the league.  Year over year, his batting average, slugging percentage, on base percentage, OPS+ has declined.

Every. 
Single. 
Year. 

I’m not sure why anyone would intentionally overlook this but I also can’t believe that anyone would. I also don’t care that he’s 26 and might have some upside left compared to the incredibly elder statesman O’Hearn who is 29 and needs a catheter delivered to his hotel room when he’s on the road.

If people want to platoon him, fine. Whatever. But I don’t see how he makes the overall roster better and more flexible especially when you have Santander and Urias who have logged time at first base. 

It is particularly hard to watch him hit in a lineup with Mateo, those are 6-8 automatic outs per game. And Frazier isn’t much better.  If they’re putting Mountcastle into the lineup I hope they don’t have the other two in there as well. 

I don’t believe this team is better with Ryan Mountcastle on it. And for all of the forward thinking, progressive stuff that Elias and SigBot are into, I can’t believe they think the roster just got better with this move. 

He's gonna tear the effing cover off the ball after this post, obviously.

Mountcastle feels like he would have fit in better on the 2015 Orioles. Swing hard in case you hit something!!!!

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Time to trade Mateo?

Contenders just don't trade away a guy that can play SS and be a weapon late in games as a pinch runner.  Mountcastle was called up because we didn't need the extra arm yesterday, and we won't need a 5th SP until the 5th game after the break.  So Irvin is on the team, but he's essentially the Long Man.  Once the 5th spot comes up, Mountcastle will likely be optioned donw.  But we'll see... stuff happens, like injuries.