Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

22 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I wonder if the Cardinals would have an interest in Irvin

Actually, I was under a false impression, if ERod opts out, DET gets NO DRAFT PICK compensation. He doesn't need to tell them until after the WS I believe so they could try to "negotiate" to restructure his deal before then or lose him to FA. DET doesn't have a very strong negotiation position. Is anyone going to offer more than a controllable, back end SP and a MLB ready COF with pop (Irvin, Stowers)? If I had to add a Vavra, Prieto, Norby I would. Then he gets to be part of the post season run, likes the defensive talent behind him, and is open to renegotiation. That 3/$49M to $54M, $1m "signing bonus", add a 4th yr @$20M with performance bonuses, maybe a 5th yr team option. Would he really get more than 3/$55M, 4/$75M, or 5/$100M plus incentives in a great system? It's a gamble but everything is and $18M is Gibson-Frazier.

No idea on Cards vs Irvin

1 minute ago, AnythingO's said:

Actually, I was under a false impression, if ERod opts out, DET gets NO DRAFT PICK compensation. He doesn't need to tell them until after the WS I believe so they could try to "negotiate" to restructure his deal before then or lose him to FA. DET doesn't have a very strong negotiation position. Is anyone going to offer more than a controllable, back end SP and a MLB ready COF with pop (Irvin, Stowers)? If I had to add a Vavra, Prieto, Norby I would. Then he gets to be part of the post season run, likes the defensive talent behind him, and is open to renegotiation. That 3/$49M to $54M, $1m "signing bonus", add a 4th yr @$20M with performance bonuses, maybe a 5th yr team option. Would he really get more than 3/$55M, 4/$75M, or 5/$100M plus incentives in a great system? It's a gamble but everything is and $18M is Gibson-Frazier.

No idea on Cards vs Irvin

Forget the extension on ERod.  Get him as a rental.  That’s realistic.   Something like Norby should be close to enough to get something done.  There’s a deal to be made. 

If the O’s are trying to buy low (and maybe diversify) on relief help, maybe they could check in with the White Sox. Putting aside the idea of Liam Hendriks — which would be an interesting gamble for various reasons — perhaps they would look at Joe Kelly and/or Aaron Bummer

Both of those guys have absolutely sterling peripheral numbers over the last two seasons (3.04 and 3.05 xFIP, respectively), but they would both likely be less pricey acquisitions. Kelly just went on the DL (with elbow inflammation, which could be a total deal breaker) and Bummer inexplicably has an ERA over 7 despite the metrics saying it *should* be less than half of that.

If they’re asking for a bit too much in return for Giolito alone, maybe they would throw in one or both of those guys to convince us to part with a bit more premium prospect package. Think there’s a fair chance either one of them could be a useful piece down the stretch.

18 minutes ago, e16bball said:

If the O’s are trying to buy low (and maybe diversify) on relief help, maybe they could check in with the White Sox. Putting aside the idea of Liam Hendriks — which would be an interesting gamble for various reasons — perhaps they would look at Joe Kelly and/or Aaron Bummer

Both of those guys have absolutely sterling peripheral numbers over the last two seasons (3.04 and 3.05 xFIP, respectively), but they would both likely be less pricey acquisitions. Kelly just went on the DL (with elbow inflammation, which could be a total deal breaker) and Bummer inexplicably has an ERA over 7 despite the metrics saying it *should* be less than half of that.

If they’re asking for a bit too much in return for Giolito alone, maybe they would throw in one or both of those guys to convince us to part with a bit more premium prospect package. Think there’s a fair chance either one of them could be a useful piece down the stretch.

Joe Kelly is a guy I would be good with as a second BP piece we acquire.

On 7/10/2023 at 1:46 PM, FlipTheBird said:

You can’t expect that from *anyone.* The Astros didn’t expect it from Verlander. It was a happy accident for them.

Not entirely.  They’d spotted some mechanical things that they corrected.  Of course, nobody expects a 1.06 ERA from anyone.   But I do think the Astros thought they could push him back in the direction of his former self.  I don’t know if the O’s feel that way about Burnes.  

50 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Forget the extension on ERod.  Get him as a rental.  That’s realistic.   Something like Norby should be close to enough to get something done.  There’s a deal to be made. 

No, Norby will not get you close to landing E Rod.

I actually think Norby would be giving up too much for a couple months of ERod. If I give up Norby straight up or as part of a package, I'd want a controllable asset past this season. It also wouldn't be Elias's style to trade Norby for a rental. He got Irvin for multiple years for a lower-tier prospect. Elias not only wants value, he wants players he can keep, develop, and/or flip.

I'd offer Stowers and Hall, and I think that could get it done.

7 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I actually think Norby would be giving up too much for a couple months of ERod. If I give up Norby straight up or as part of a package, I'd want a controllable asset past this season. It also wouldn't be Elias's style to trade Norby for a rental. He got Irvin for multiple years for a lower-tier prospect. Elias not only wants value, he wants players he can keep, develop, and/or flip.

I'd offer Stowers and Hall, and I think that could get it done.

Stowers and Hall, could be argued, has more value than Norby alone and Hall is less redundant and therefore more valuable to us.

Irvin was a BOR starter.  ERod is a possible difference maker in the post season.   Apples and Oranges but in this case Oranges cost more even though their shelf life is shorter.

Edited by RZNJ

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Stowers and Hall, could be argued, has more value than Norby alone and Hall is less redundant and therefore more valuable to us.

Irvin was a BOR starter.  ERod is a possible difference maker in the post season.   Apples and Oranges but in this case Oranges cost more even though their shelf life is shorter.

I just think Norby is going to be used in a different trade. If you think Stowers and Hall is worth more than Norby (I'm not disagreeing there), then I think that reflects upon how that offer is reasonable and why Stowers and Hall would actually get us ERod.

Stowers obviously has nowhere to play in this organization, but he has value and he can be a productive regular with playing time. He's a fit for Detroit.

I think Hall's ultimate role is as a reliever, but he'd be a good 2nd piece in an ERod deal because Stowers alone wouldn't get you ERod. I think trading Hall now is selling high because of the reliever risk, and his prospect stock has been plummeting this season as it becomes obvious to everyone that he's not fulfilling his potential/projection as a TOR starter. 

It's a fair deal, and I'd love to see it happen.

• Upvote 1