Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Forget the extension on ERod.  Get him as a rental.  That’s realistic.   Something like Norby should be close to enough to get something done.  There’s a deal to be made. 

I’d be more concerned that he’s more like the 4ERA pitcher he was before this season after the trade.

Edited by Roll Tide

37 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’d be more concerned that he’s more like the 4ERA pitcher he was before this season after the trade.

Understood, but his career is 4.0 and he averages close to 5.6 inn per start with over i SO/inn and less than 1 h/inn with a 3/1 SO to BB ratio over 7 years of service. He just turned 30 in April. He has had sub-4 ERAs before, he is generally good for 150+ inn, has never played in front of defense like he will have here. If he is only 3.5-3.75 and eats 450-600 inn the next 3-4 years (Age 31-33/34), given the contracts of this last offseason, he is worth $18M AAV IMO.

12 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

What would it take to pry Justin Steele from the Cubs

Probably a lot more than we'd want to give up, and I feel like they aren't trading him anyway. They would probably want like Cowser, Ortiz, Hall, and Seth Johnson. 

3 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Understood, but his career is 4.0 and he averages close to 5.6 inn per start with over i SO/inn and less than 1 h/inn with a 3/1 SO to BB ratio over 7 years of service. He just turned 30 in April. He has had sub-4 ERAs before, he is generally good for 150+ inn, has never played in front of defense like he will have here. If he is only 3.5-3.75 and eats 450-600 inn the next 3-4 years (Age 31-33/34), given the contracts of this last offseason, he is worth $18M AAV IMO.

I’m not convinced we will give a guy that kind of a deal until they do.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I’m not convinced we will give a guy that kind of a deal until they do.

I absolutely agree with that, but Gibson + Frazier are $18M that goes away so ERod at $18M is payroll neutral and stabilizes the rotation (better than Gibson). That should give JA something to think about.

Surprised no one has mentioned a trade with SD for 

SMYLY and HADER for TBD. 

Both are rentals, but both full needs for us. A starter who can be a solid 2, and Hader (back to Os org where he started) but a 7, 8, 9 of the Cano/Felix/Hader combo would be lights out. 

Pads aren’t going to be in it IMO, so makes sense for us. 

2 minutes ago, G54377 said:

Probably a lot more than we'd want to give up, and I feel like they aren't trading him anyway. They would probably want like Cowser, Ortiz, Hall, and Seth Johnson. 

I’d do that deal…. But I’d try to get it done with Norby instead of Cowser and throw in a 5th guy. 

5 minutes ago, OakOrioles said:

SMYLY and HADER for TBD. 

Both are rentals, but both full needs for us. A starter who can be a solid 2, and Hader (back to Os org where he started) but a 7, 8, 9 of the Cano/Felix/Hader combo would be lights out. 

Did you mean Wacha? Smyly is a Cub

44 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

What would it take to pry Justin Steele from the Cubs

Justin is a starting pitcher who just pitched in the all star game and won't be a free agent until after the 2027 season ( I'd have to double check that but I believe it is true).  The Cubs may become sellers this year but they are hopeful of competing in 2024.  So to acquire him the Orioles would have to give a package  headed by let's say Coby Mayo and Grayson Rodriguez.  Not happening -well at least not very likely! 

7 minutes ago, Dale said:

Justin is a starting pitcher who just pitched in the all star game and won't be a free agent until after the 2027 season ( I'd have to double check that but I believe it is true).  The Cubs may become sellers this year but they are hopeful of competing in 2024.  So to acquire him the Orioles would have to give a package  headed by let's say Coby Mayo and Grayson Rodriguez.  Not happening -well at least not very likely! 

Grayson and Mayo should get you better than Justin Steele… just saying. 

For that kind of talent package, we should be in the Cy Young candidate/caliber range.

1 hour ago, OakOrioles said:

SMYLY and HADER for TBD. 

Hader would’ve one of my main targets. 

Here's a new idea I'm just pondering out loud:

What if we pulled off a bunch of trades and got Diaz from the Rockies? He' would cost the Orioles about as McCann and if the Orioles moved on from McCann, they could save close to $5 million next season. I imagine Diaz wouldn't be overly expensive to acquire from Colorodo.

The Orioles would then have a All Star catching duo even better than the Braves!