Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

6 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Here's a new idea I'm just pondering out loud:

What if we pulled off a bunch of trades and got Diaz from the Rockies? He' would cost the Orioles about as McCann and if the Orioles moved on from McCann, they could save close to $5 million next season. I imagine Diaz wouldn't be overly expensive to acquire from Colorodo.

The Orioles would then have an All Star catching duo even better than the Braves!

Guess it would first depend if they could trade McCann. They arent cutting him and swallowing $10 million dollars.  Would they swap him and accept the difference in prospects? Further …. He’s probably a .600 OPS hitter outside of Colorado. 

11 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Grayson and Mayo should get you better than Justin Steele… just saying. 

For that kind of talent package, we should be in the Cy Young candidate/caliber range.

He has a 2.91 ERA over the last 2 years and a 2.56 ERA this year which is 4th in baseball, while having years of control. Pretty sure that makes him a Cy Young candidate, not that the Cubs would have any interest in moving him. They're not doing a full tear down.

I worry about our lack of pitching prospects hindering our ability to trade for ML pitching. Yes, we have a million position player prospects to offer but at the end of the day a lot of teams want pitching, especially when they're giving up pitching. It's going to be interesting to see what happens. 

Hall and Povich have good value. But guys like Rom I think teams will just see him as another swingman/reliever with his poor AAA numbers. Showalter? McDermott? Idk. It gets thin awfully quick. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I worry about our lack of pitching prospects hindering our ability to trade for ML pitching. Yes, we have a million position player prospects to offer but at the end of the day a lot of teams want pitching, especially when they're giving up pitching. It's going to be interesting to see what happens. 

Hall and Povich have good value. But guys like Rom I think teams will just see him as another swingman/reliever with his poor AAA numbers. Showalter? McDermott? Idk. It gets thin awfully quick. 

Unless Hall's velocity is back up I don't think he has good value.  His profile throwing 93 is no where near as enticing.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Unless Hall's velocity is back up I don't think he has good value.  His profile throwing 93 is no where near as enticing.

Yes, that's definitely true. 

Yeah I dunno - I think Mike might be finding it a bit tougher than he thought. Sellers want pitching prospects. After all, we definitely did. And we came away with a good amount: Kremer, Bradish, Povich, McDermott, Johnson, and a host of lesser guys all via trades while we were sellers. How many position player prospects did we acquire? Vavra? 

Now, not every team is the same but you can see how there could be a problem. At least when trying to acquire high-end pitching. I definitely think we can sling some Irvin-type deals. Like Prieto for a decent middle reliever. But it starts to get rough when thinking about trying to acquire a #1 starter or closer-level reliever.

The wrap up from a year ago.

https://www.mlb.com/news/every-2022-mlb-trade-deadline-deal

27 trades on Aug 2, including Jorge

15 trades on Aug 1, including Trey

Mostly 1 each on July 25-31 (July 30 had 3), including the Luis Castillo deal where the Buyer stretching for the Seller was part I believe of gaining an early closing.

Elias is cautious and won't overpay, so I am expecting little until the last 48 hours when postures start to soften lest Sellers get left with inventory.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/07/where-could-the-giants-turn-for-middle-infield-help.html

I don't have any specific trade ideas but could we get pitching from San Fran for middle infield depth?

Could always try to get Alex Cobb back somehow, I guess?

We have a deep surplus of middle infield depth.

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Cobb for Urias?

I think we could get the short end of the stick on that deal. The Orioles staff couldn't seem to help Cobb be a better pitcher when he was here so there has to be a limit on the expense, where the only way we make a deal is if it's a no brainer.

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Giolito for Zac Showalter and Norby

David Robertson for Stowers 

Price will be higher than that for Giolito. As the rental SP go, he’s the Lambo. Will fetch a pretty good price.

I don’t know that Stowers has a significant amount of trade value.