Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

1 minute ago, RarityFlaherty said:

https://www.si.com/mlb/cardinals/news/cardinals-orioles-reportedly-linked-in-potential-deadline-blockbuster-deal-pat3

Have you guys seen this? Reportedly we are being linked to the Cardinals in a trade for Jordan Montgomery.  I know people here have mentioned his name before. It would be a nice addition if we don’t have to give up too much. 

Sounds like Bowden just throwing out a speculation to me. That said, I'd probably do that deal? Tough to lose Povich for a 2 month rental, but hey.

Povich
Wagner

for

Montgomery

2 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

https://www.si.com/mlb/cardinals/news/cardinals-orioles-reportedly-linked-in-potential-deadline-blockbuster-deal-pat3

Have you guys seen this? Reportedly we are being linked to the Cardinals in a trade for Jordan Montgomery.  I know people here have mentioned his name before. It would be a nice addition if we don’t have to give up too much. 

I just mentioned Montgomery and I think he is the “risk adverse” play. I don’t see Elias dealing Povich. We have all these bats. But we always could sell the bats for A ball level pitching. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I just mentioned Montgomery and I think he is the “risk adverse” play. I don’t see Elias dealing Povich. We have all these bats. But we always could sell the bats for A ball level pitching. 

Any team giving up starting pitching will require a SP prospect in return, that's just facts. Maybe you could offer a lesser SP prospect like Rom and add a bat. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sounds like Bowden just throwing out a speculation to me. That said, I'd probably do that deal? Tough to lose Povich for a 2 month rental, but hey.

Povich
Wagner

for

Montgomery

True.  Povich is a bit of a tough evaluation for me, as he's struggled a bit outside of those strikeout numbers.  I'd expect he'd be a quality reliever if his starter profile comes up short.  Tough call, but I think I'd do that deal.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Any team giving up starting pitching will require a SP prospect in return, that's just facts. Maybe you could offer a lesser SP prospect like Rom and add a bat. 

Povich is better than Hall at this point. I do agree that teams want pitching. We may have to resort to selling our bats that are blocked in AAA for lower level pitching prospects. 

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Thanks for posting this.  Out of the trade proposals that I've seen, this one intrigues me the most. The reason boils down to having that feeling that you could lean either way... which, for me, is the mark of a 'fair' trade. I look at this proposal in a couple of ways.

1. If Ohtani were just a hitter. Would I trade Ortiz, Beavers and Stowers for an all-time great hitter for the remainder of the season?
  2. If Ohtani were just a pitcher. Would I trade Norby and Hall for a very good starter for the remainder of the season?

The answers comes down to whether going for it this year, in an attempt to win a World Series, is worth losing these five prospects for their first six seasons each. I feel like the addition of Ohtani would improve our odds to win it all by 10% or so. In the grand scheme of things, if this deal were to happen, I'd lean towards turning it down.  I'd  keep these players and see what we have in them or use them to acquire controllable assets as we continue this building of an annual contender. "But Ohtani..." that voice in the back of mind whispers to me... 😆

The questions that you're not asking are more meaningful in this situation, IMO.

What can other teams offer?

What do the Angels get if they don't do a trade and let him walk?

Offering this much for Ohtani basically would boil down to outbidding ourselves, IMO.  The Dodgers are about the only other team that could offer such an outlandish package, and the Angels owner has said that there's no way they will trade Ohtani to the Dodgers.

If  you took Beavers and Norby out of that package and offered Ortiz, Hall, and Stowers, what kind of offer are they realistically going to see from another team that beats that?  Would they rather just keep him until the end of the season and get one comp draft pick when he signs elsewhere?  No, I think that something like Ortiz, Hall, and Stowers would be the best package the Angels are likely to see.  Why offer more?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't think any team is willing to part with such a massive haul as is suggested in the article in order to receive a rental player - no matter who the player is.

4 minutes ago, Number5 said:

The questions that you're not asking are more meaningful in this situation, IMO.

What can other teams offer?

What do the Angels get if they don't do a trade and let him walk?

Offering this much for Ohtani basically would boil down to outbidding ourselves, IMO.  The Dodgers are about the only other team that could offer such an outlandish package, and the Angels owner has said that there's no way they will trade Ohtani to the Dodgers.

If  you took Beavers and Norby out of that package and offered Ortiz, Hall, and Stowers, what kind of offer are they realistically going to see from another team that beats that?  Would they rather just keep him until the end of the season and get one comp draft pick when he signs elsewhere?  No, I think that something like Ortiz, Hall, and Stowers would be the best package the Angels are likely to see.  Why offer more?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't think any team is willing to part with such a massive haul as is suggested in the article in order to receive a rental player - no matter who the player is.

In regards to outbidding ourselves, this is a fair point to consider.  I wouldn't do that trade, but do feel they're going to get more than what you surmised.  Trying to figure out what others might do is a dangerous endeavor, but is certainly a necessary component of making this sort of mega trade.  It's going to be very interesting to see how it all unfolds... most likely without our involvement.

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah I like that a lot more than giving up Povich. Maybe try something like Wagner, Rom, and Beavers? Or something similar. 

58 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I would do a backflip for that deal. Let’s face it… it’s all spare parts. Our spare parts have value though. 

Yes they do which is why I don’t think you just give them away. Othani is valuable for sure and if they were going to make a run at signing him that might be a horse of a different color. But, if you empty the cupboard of your spare parts it removes the parts to make deals later.

If you don’t win the WS the deal is a huge bust.

Edited by Roll Tide

I don't like a Othani trade like as said, you are basically WS or bust. He could tweak a hammy or something and the trade is immediately a disaster. Meanwhile you have 4 or 5 players with a collective 20-30 team controlled years you are missing out on. 

Would you do this ?

Baltimore Orioles

RECEIVE

Marcus Stroman, SP

Cody Bellinger, OF/1B

Chicago Cubs

RECEIVE

Heston Kjerstad, OF/1B

The #36 prospect in all of baseball (according to MLB Pipeline), Heston Kjerstad, is putting together another remarkable season in the minors. With a slash of .327/.415/.564 in 110 ABs, Kjerstad is tearing up Triple-A Norfolk. On the season, he is hitting .316/.396/.571/141 wRC+ with 16 HRs and 37 RBIs between Double-A and Triple-A. Given that the Orioles have two other top 100 prospects that can play in the outfield, losing Kjerstad wouldn't be a critical blow for a team that now boasts the best farm in baseball, including a remarkable eight top 100 prospects.

All the concern about the bullpen innings that guys like Cano (47 IP) are wracking up makes me wonder if we will target a guy with a relatively fresh arm. 

Fuji has a similar number of innings (44 IP) as Cano but that's because he was starting games. His arm's probably in good shape due to previously being a starter. 

Popular target Brooks Raley only has 33 IP. I wonder what other relievers might have less-than-expected innings. 

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Would you do this ?

Baltimore Orioles

RECEIVE

Marcus Stroman, SP

Cody Bellinger, OF/1B

Chicago Cubs

RECEIVE

Heston Kjerstad, OF/1B

The #36 prospect in all of baseball (according to MLB Pipeline), Heston Kjerstad, is putting together another remarkable season in the minors. With a slash of .327/.415/.564 in 110 ABs, Kjerstad is tearing up Triple-A Norfolk. On the season, he is hitting .316/.396/.571/141 wRC+ with 16 HRs and 37 RBIs between Double-A and Triple-A. Given that the Orioles have two other top 100 prospects that can play in the outfield, losing Kjerstad wouldn't be a critical blow for a team that now boasts the best farm in baseball, including a remarkable eight top 100 prospects.

Absolutely not. Kjerstad is untouchable for me, even in a nonsense Ohtani scenario, much less one for Stroman.