2023 1st Round Pick (#17): Enrique Bradfield Jr. - CF - (Jr) Vanderbilt University

Fastest runner: Enrique Bradfield Jr., OF, Vanderbilt (80 grade)
Callis: The Vanderbilt outfielder would be the most obvious. I actually think Bradfield might have run slightly better as a freshman and sophomore than he did this year. He actually went 46-for-46 stealing bases last year, and I think he got caught seven or eight times this year. His speed -- and it’s not just speed but also his ability to use it -- he’s a wonderful base stealer. He’s a tremendous defender in center field. He gets a lot of Kenny Lofton comps. That’s the upside on him. Not only does he have this top-of-the-scale speed, he knows how to make the most of it.

I don’t think this pick is exiting which is normally a good thing. He has a couple elite tools and orioles think they can tap into one or two more. I also do not think this will be a huge money saver. Maybe 500k or less under slot at most.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

MLB pipeline had him 21st.

Not sure about BA.

MLB Pipeline's scouting report on him:

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 40 | Run: 80 | Arm: 40 | Field: 70 | Overall: 55

The fastest player in the 2020 Draft, Bradfield could have gone in the top three rounds as a Florida high schooler if he hadn't been intent on attending Vanderbilt. He led NCAA Division I with 47 steals while winning Southeastern Conference freshman of the year honors in 2021, then finished second last season with 46 (in 46 attempts) and eighth this spring with 37. His speed and defense elicit repeated comparisons to Kenny Lofton, who won five stolen-base titles and three Gold Gloves, and he could become the Commodores' eighth top-10 pick in the last nine Drafts. 

Bradfield has top-of-the-line speed and knows how to make the most of it. He's a disruptive force on the bases and an elite defender, maximizing his talents by working to refine his craft as a basestealer and center fielder. His quickness bolsters his on-base ability and helps him compensate for a below-average arm by allowing him to reach grounders in a hurry. 

With game-changing speed and a slender frame, Bradfield understands what he needs to do on offense. He focuses on making contact with a flat left-handed swing, uses the entire field and excels at bunting for base hits. While he'll never be a slugger, he does have some sneaky pop to his pull side and swatted 14 homers the last two seasons after going deep just once as a freshman.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I only saw that scouting video and his throws were awful. 40 arm might be generous from that video.

Uggh. I hate a noodle outfield arm. In the grand scheme it isn’t that important for CF, but still frustrating.  

Like the pick, and will like it even more if they save some money and use on a high upside HS player later.  He was my preference for this pick in the pre-draft thread, but I really didn't think Elias would draft someone with so little power.  But we need a speedy CF with great defense in our system, with Fabian as really the only legit CF prospect in our system.  He'll be an exciting player, with great plate discipline paired with elite speed.

• Upvote 1