Which position player will leave the roster after the ASB?

Frobby

2 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I’d put Frazier and RMC on roughly the same level, but I do value Frazier’s experience. The bigger point is that Mountcastle can be optioned between the two.

Oh so Frazier beats him out on the skill of experience which is something you just made up so you can continue to pick Mountcastle.

Makes sense.

Cowser is the likely answer.  Mateo has value as a defensive sub and on the bases.  I think they are thinking about the playoffs at this point and a guy like Mateo can be of use there.  I think Frazier is more likely to go than Mateo.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mateo isn’t a uti guy and even if he was, you have zero idea if he’s a great defender anywhere else.

Ortiz takes away the need for Mateo’s defense.

Ortiz isn't on the roster, yet. This thread is about who goes right now to balance the Mountcastle move. I have Frazier slightly below Mateo in the pecking order but it's close. If Ortiz is brought up, then Mateo would be the next to go. 

I know you want to see Ortiz and maybe we will, but Westburg had to wait to accumulate 630 AB's to get his promotion. Ortiz is only halfway there and now the infield is even more crowded. If Ortiz were to come up now it would be as a bench guy and I don't think we want that. More dominoes will have to fall first, namely Urias.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Oh so Frazier beats him out on the skill of experience which is something you just made up so you can continue to pick Mountcastle.

Makes sense.

You could try being a bit less adversarial in every single one of your post replies. 

Experience is obviously not a skill, don’t be daft. Frazier has been in the league for 8 seasons and has undoubtedly learned a thing or two. I’m sure the young middle infielders have picked up some knowledge from him, even if it’s just how to pack for road trips. In addition, I think he’s an adequate defender at both second and COF and positional versatility is good, even if you aren’t a gold glover out there. Frazier also gets on base at a pretty good clip and seems to be a bit unlucky so far this year. 

I’m not picking on Mountcastle, I love the guys personality and have expected him to turn some kind of corner the last few years. But the K’s haven’t gotten better, the walks have gotten worse and I’m not certain his “feel” for first base has really improved (getting over to tough foul balls for instance). 

And again, the biggest thing is just that he didn’t HAVE to come back up. You may have missed that point when you creamed your jeans at the opportunity to attack someone. His replacement was still playing well and 2 other guys had also shown themselves capable of handling first. RMC has plenty of time to get on fire in Norfolk while the rest of the PT sorts itself out. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, survivedc said:

In addition, I think he’s an adequate defender at both second and COF and positional versatility is good, even if you aren’t a gold glover out there. 

By Outs Above Average, Frazier is actually the worst defensive second baseman in baseball. He is currently at -10 OAA, which is insane. He’s not quite as bad by defensive runs saved, where he is at -3 DRS, but is still in the bottom 20-25% of second basemen depending on what you want to use as an innings cut off. I actually didn’t know any of this until recently when I thought he looked particularly bad at second, and decided to look it up. 

• Upvote 2

Colton Cowser looks like the weakest link (for right now) not named Mateo. So unfortunately there's a real possibility the roster crunch pushes him down just like it did to Ortiz, Vavra, and Stowers.

They really need to work out a trade ASAP to unclog the pipeline. A player like Cowser needs more playing time, not less, if he's going to be able to adjust and reach his full potential.

Sending down Westburg or Cowser would be madness. Incalculable levels of stupidity. We want the good players to be on the active roster. Leave the studs alone. We are in a pennant race. 

I would have left Mountcastle down but if management is insistent, 1 of Frazier or Mateo can go. I won’t lose any sleep over who. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Sending down Westburg or Cowser would be madness. Incalculable levels of stupidity. We want the good players to be on the active roster. Leave the studs alone. We are in a pennant race. 

I would have left Mountcastle down but if management is insistent, 1 of Frazier or Mateo can go. I won’t lose any sleep over who. 

I'm going to be sick if they send Cowser down.  The O's need more players like Cowser who work the count, draw walks, and play plus superior defense.  15 at bats is not a real trial. 

• Upvote 1

It's not going to be Cowser, and Frazier should go before Mateo. Mateo at least brings some late-inning speed and defense to the table -- you can squeeze some value out of him without making him bat. Frazier has no value outside of being a below average starter at 2B, and he has been replaced there. Even if Westy got hurt, you could plug in Ortiz and still avoid starting Mateo.

That said, unless Mateo is willing to embrace a utility role I don't think he has much future with the team. From a roster construction standpoint Ortiz is, at worst, Mateo with options.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm going to be sick if they send Cowser down.  The O's need more players like Cowser who work the count, draw walks, and play plus superior defense.  15 at bats is not a real trial. 

I don’t think anyone rational would suggest that 16 at bats (21 PA) is a “real trial.”   If Cowser gets sent down, which definitely may happen, it won’t be because he’s played badly or anyone has judged him based on 5 games.  In fact, he’s looked pretty good IMO, only striking out twice in 21 PA and putting up a .381 OBP.  But he may be odd man out for a short while.  It’s not worth getting sick over.  

We are trying to solve a problem that will not occur until July 18th.   That is 4 games for an injury to occur.   I don't see anyone being DFA'd.

If Mateo pinch runs, he will be on second in a few pitches and on third in a few more.   Ball in the dirt and he will score.  Kind of important to a team that plays a lot of one run games.

I think it comes down to a line from one of my favorite movies.

I don't know. Its a mystery.  But it will work out.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

We are trying to solve a problem that will not occur until July 18th.   That is 4 games for an injury to occur.   I don't see anyone being DFA'd.

If Mateo pinch runs, he will be on second in a few pitches and on third in a few more.   Ball in the dirt and he will score.  Kind of important to a team that plays a lot of one run games.

I think it comes down to a line from one of my favorite movies.

I don't know. Its a mystery.  But it will work out.

I’m not trying to solve a problem. I’m wondering how the Orioles will solve a problem. Sure, if an injury occurs, this particular problem may disappear (and maybe be replaced by a much worse problem).   But July 18 isn’t exactly a million years from now.  It’s a week from today, assuming the O’s wait that long to rebalance the roster.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not trying to solve a problem. I’m wondering how the Orioles will solve a problem. Sure, if an injury occurs, this particular problem may disappear (and maybe be replaced by a much worse problem).   But July 18 isn’t exactly a million years from now.  It’s a week from today, assuming the O’s wait that long to rebalance the roster.  

Its a good discussion, but the answer will not be determined until the 18th.   Its unknowable right now.