Which position player will leave the roster after the ASB?

Frobby

11 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

I just can't wrap my head around how people try to come up with reasons and scenarios to keep Mateo. I have nothing against him, and he really seems like a decent guy, but he has no value as an Oriole. 

I wouldn't be terribly upset if they DFAd him or traded him but I think he definitely has value as a bench guy/pinch runner/defensive replacement.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

But when you brought to my attention the value Frazier brings to the team as the guy that knows how to pack for road trips you managed to turn me around on the whole idea. 

This!!!  The absurd lengths folks will go to in order to justify having an underperforming vet on the team never ceases to amaze me.   And that's not just true for posters,  but for managers and other players too.

I know what is said 'on the record' and how questions like 'how has Gibson improved your game?' from the Melanie's of the world get answered.  But I also know enough ex profession players and coaches (NFL and college, not MLB) to know that the real thoughts on those kind of situations don't get published on the paper or expressed on soundbites.  They aren't going to throw players under the bus and when a guy isn't performing well or actually contributing in a positive way,  they simply latch on to the few SSS events that go well or use platitudes to say how the player brings value to the team and organization.  You know,  like the veteran tucks the rookies in at night,  reads them bedtime stories and makes sure they packed their pjs.  🙂

I think they have enough relievers on the 40 man with options now that they can shuttle those guys back and forth as needed to keep the bullpen operational with a 12 man staff at least until a trade which could clear things up. 

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

Point taken

Normally, when someone posts the same thing four times in a row in a forum, they aren't doing it for emphasis, they're doing it because there was a hiccup with the forum or the poster's internet at the moment they were making the post, and they thought their submission failed.  I tend not to call it out, because it's accidental 99.999999% of the time. 

• Upvote 1

This is one of the great roster conundrums in recent memory. There are cases to be made for the usefulness of all these players to a playoff team.

My take right now is that Mountcastle wouldn't have come up if there wasn't a high likelihood of trade. I think something is in the works involving one of Mateo, Urias, Frazier, or Mountcastle. And it will be announced prior to wildcard's July 18th deadline.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I actually think Frazier has been pretty clutch for us....though his defence is sketchy...

Yeah, he has had big hits, but the main thing is he is kinda redundant with the rest of the roster we have. He is also a free agent after this year. Mateo and Urias provide skills that he doesn't and both are under team control next year. 

I think mounty and cowser get playing time out the gate. When we get to the 5th starter, we'll see who's got and who's not. If Mountcastle struggles send him down; need to try and fix as our 1B depth still ain't great. If Cowser struggles and Mountcastle is on fire, unfortunately need to send Cowser down for a minute. If they both struggle,  send down just Mounty. 

Mateo is 1.0 WAR and Frazier and Urias are at 1.2. There's value there. They should look to trade but not DFA; trades will be made before the deadline and one could be a throw in.All 3 are best served in platoon roles. also depth is a good thing. Mateo should be a super utility if he stays. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

This is one of the great roster conundrums in recent memory. There are cases to be made for the usefulness of all these players to a playoff team.

My take right now is that Mountcastle wouldn't have come up if there wasn't a high likelihood of trade. I think something is in the works involving one of Mateo, Urias, Frazier, or Mountcastle. And it will be announced prior to wildcard's July 18th deadline.

I will be surprised if there is a trade before July 18th.  Its too easy to fix without a trade.   August 1st creates a lot more pressure.   Because what ever is in place on that day the O's live with for the next two months.

14 hours ago, Getz said:

How would they trade him after DFA'ing him?

If he's not on the roster how can they trade him?

That's how DFA'ing works.   The guy is essentially in limbo for a week or 10 days, I forget which.   You can try to trade him in that time.   AFTER that time is up, if you haven't traded him, he goes through waivers and could be claimed.   If he is unclaimed you can try to assign him to Norfolk but in most cases the player has an option to accept that or become a free agent.

The whole purpose of the DFA process is to open up a roster spot immediately and give you some time to try to find a soft landing for the player.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, survivedc said:

And again, the biggest thing is just that he didn’t HAVE to come back up. You may have missed that point when you creamed your jeans at the opportunity to attack someone. His replacement was still playing well and 2 other guys had also shown themselves capable of handling first. RMC has plenty of time to get on fire in Norfolk while the rest of the PT sorts itself out. 

While he didn't have to come back Sunday, he did have to come back before play starts again.   The timer had run out on his allowable minor league rehab assignement.

Yes, they could have optioned him to keep him in the minors.   But his rehab assignement was pretty much done.