Orioles acquire LHP Rich Hill from Cubs

Cal8

Isn't "giving him every opportunity" sort of like saying "keep giving him more chances even if he stinks"? How does he get these opportunities if we don't keep him?

It means he comes to spring training and gets plenty of innings to show what he's got. If at the end of ST it's a borderline call as to whether he's one of the best 13 pitchers on the staff, he gets the benefit of the doubt. If it's not a borderline call, then sayonara.

Personally, if he's healthy and fully recovered I expect him to make the team.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The $6 mm is a reason to give Baez every opportunity to prove he can still pitch. It's not a reason to keep him if he can't.

Yeah, I think they'll be looking for every reason to keep Baez, and they'll dump Walker - as there's not many plusses in keeping a 37/38 year old loogy who can't get lefties out, anymore.

I think Baez because of $$$ and Hill because of potential will both be on the 25 man roster through the trade deadline to have time for a real evaluation to occur. What happens with either of them at that time will depend on a lot of variables that will take place over the same time period.

Updated quotes from Roch :

"In any case, it certainly seemed to make sense to us to take a risk on what could be a high-reward left-handed starting pitcher who's pitched under very competitive and pennant-contending circumstances and done extraordinarily well," team president Andy MacPhail said. "We're giving him a chance to get back to where he was."

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry deserves credit for showing enough compassion for Hill that he placed him in the most favorable environment. He wants Hill to regain his confidence and effectiveness, and he figures it's more likely to happen in Baltimore than Seattle or elsewhere.

As for the PTBNL, don't expect it to be revealed anytime soon. Hill's performance will dictate the quality of the player. But no worries - it won't be one of the Orioles' top prospects. The Cubs don't have their choice of anyone in the organization. That's not how it works.

I just hope this doesn't turn into another Chad Bradford situation, where I'm asked about it 20 times a day. That one got a little crazy.

I'll have more from MacPhail later in the day, but I also wanted to confirm that the Orioles haven't closed the door on adding another pitcher.

"We always are looking," MacPhail said. "We never say we're done. I think that would be foolish. We're always looking and we'll see how it goes. We still have ongoing discussions with a lot of players out there. But I don't have anything on the horizon right now."

From Mlb.com comments

RamJam36wrote:

Man, I'm a Ranger fan, but I have been very impressed with the way Baltimore is slowly building a contender. They have made several low risk moves that could really pay dividends. 1st off, an outfield of Jones, Markakis, and Pie will be one of the best defensive OF in baseball, and has the potential for well above average offense. I think the Cubs gave up on Hill way to soon, but with Pinella, once your in his doghouse, its mighty hard to get out. With his above average heater and devastating curve, I still believe he can be a #2-3 SP for years to come. Along with the elite upper level propects they have, they also have a solid nucleas to Build around in Roberts, Markakis, Guthrie, and Huff. They should have a very competitive team by 2010-11.

Guest BrettMeister86

Worst case scenario: O's free up 2 spaces on the 40 man roster if Hill doesn't come through.

Best case scenario: The O's just landed an injury-free 2007 Bedard under control through 2011 for a PTBNL

This is one of those moves we hadn't made in the past, for whatever reason.

I'm not crazy about Rich Hill, but there's obviously talent there. I'm kind of lukewarm on pitchers with command issues, I guess.

Even if Hill lays an egg, it's a great low risk move. Here's hoping Kranitz can piece him back together.

In other news, Cubs officials were just spotted trying to pry Hill's fingers from the door of his Chicago area home. "I don't want to go. Please don't make me go there!" screamed Hill to the delight of no one present. :D

On the contrary, I'm sure Rich Hill is elated to get out of Chicago.

Archived