Trade Idea - Pittsburgh Pirates

Answerman

On 7/13/2023 at 8:25 AM, HakunaSakata said:

It seems silly to pay this price for a RP, when there are much cheaper alteratives that will be available. And it's not exactly like a long term future closer is high on our priority list. 

Trade a lower level prospect for someone like Jordan Hicks instead (for this season) and continue to draft, sign, and develop the fututre bullpen guys long term. Just like we did with Cano 

Is Hicks really that much of an improvement over the guys we're already running out there, or just another warm body?

15 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Is Hicks really that much of an improvement over the guys we're already running out there, or just another warm body?

At this point to me, he seems like just another warm body. He definitely should be expendable.

Many people have opined here over the years that the Orioles gave up way too much by trading E.Rodriguez for Andrew Miller.  Yet we see many trade proposals that give away not one, but handfuls of highly rated prospects.  I disagree on both ends.  I thought the Miller trade was a good one in those circumstances, but I am opposed to most of the trade proposals I've seen suggested this year because they represent giving up much more than we gave up in 2014.   I'm comfortable in believing that Elias won't give away the store.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, cnmilton said:

Keller and Bednar both have 3 years of control ledlft, they aren't rentals.

Keller's decent but nothing earth shattering, and coming over to the AL East will probably raise his ERA by half a run, and he might not end up better than what we already have.

1 hour ago, FlipTheBird said:

In hindsight, Hicks probably wasn't the best example because his value would also be unnecessarily inflated (since he's been serving as a closer). And he's been better lately, but his WHIP is still pretty scary. 

12 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Keller's decent but nothing earth shattering, and coming over to the AL East will probably raise his ERA by half a run, and he might not end up better than what we already have.

Keller looked like he figured something out earlier in the season, but he's really going through a rough patch lately. Ks are way down too. He just seems way too inconsistent for what he would probably cost. 

5 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Keller looked like he figured something out earlier in the season, but he's really going through a rough patch lately. Ks are way down too. He just seems way too inconsistent for what he would probably cost. 

Agreed.  I want a surer thing for the likely cost. 

Edited by baltfan