Cardinals are open for business

Sports Guy

Flaherty is only a marginal upgrade over Gibson. He’s thrown 114 innings or 154 inning over 2 or 3 seasons depending how far back you wanna go. He has 90+ already so how many can he have left realistically. I’d steer clear 

Hicks  has a WHIP of 1.5 that consists of a lot of walks. I think we can do better.

Montgomery is the guy …probably will be some competition. He’s a rental so what are you willing to give up? I’d be interested with an extension.

19 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I know O’Hearn has been a surprise, but should the Orioles consider Paul Goldschmidt if the asking price is reasonable? 

With Goldschmidt due $26M next year, I doubt it would pass with the Angelos brothers if Elias could work out a trade. 

That would be a great fit.  

I know that it doesn’t make a lot of sense on the surface but if the ask for Arenado wasn’t absurd (it will be) he’s young enough that he could be part of a four or five year run. He’s got Adrian Beltre 32-40 years ahead of him and for his production, his salary is extremely reasonable. He’s as sure of a thing as there is in Major League Baseball. It’s crazy given the infield talent in the system but man, he would be awesome in OPACY. 

Goldschmidt would make a lot of sense if the price is right. 

The Cardinals have quite a lot of position player depth and are really just looking for controllable starting pitching, so not a great match for us. We can of course afford to trade Kremer/Irvin but they’re not going to fetch much, if the Cards are even interested. 

Goldschmidt would be a fantastic fit but it’s unclear whether the Cards will even consider dealing him. The Cardinals reporters seem to think he’s not available and is more likely to be extended than trading. That could always be posturing from the team for leverage, though 

The Orioles are not acquiring Paul Goldschmidt.

That said, Jordan Montgomery is worth a look so long as that hammy he yanked the other day isn’t going to present a problem. I am with others here on a general disinterest in Flaherty. Hicks…that sure is a lot of command issues.

6 hours ago, cheecks said:

Paul Goldschmidt will be 37 years old. Maybe a half year rental for a playoff run but I can't imagine Elias thinking longer term for this guy..?

Would you rather have a 38 year old Goldschmidt or Mountcastle in the lineup next year?

7 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I agree and Goldschmidt could lockdown 1B the next couple years while Elias decides which prospect currently at another position shifts over to 1B.

There is no where to shift all of the guys. As it stands now guys are having to shift just to get everyday ABs at the big league level.

I guess if we were to acquire Goldschmidt, Mayo would have to DH or they would have to rotate between 1B and DH?

As much as I like Goldschmidt, we are going to make a big financial move like that, I would rather it be to get a piece to put atop the rotation.