Cardinals are open for business

Sports Guy

27 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Hicks and Monty are the only two on that list I'd be interested in. Shouldn't cost much either since they're both FAs after this season. 

Hicks …..4 ERA, 1.50 WHIP nearly 6 BBs per 9. I feel the heartburn coming on already. His K per nine is 13.5 or amazing though.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Hicks …..4 ERA, 1.50 WHIP nearly 6 BBs per 9. I feel the heartburn coming on already. His K per nine is 13.5 or amazing though.

The big ? is why is he walking guys at that clip? If you could find a simple fix that allows that K/9 rate to be maintained he's an ideal addition to the back of the bullpen. 

Interesting article: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/07/the-well-timed-breakout-of-jordan-hicks.html

I think Monty is the guy to get. But I worry that he's going to cost more than he's worth in this "seller's market."

Edited by Jim'sKid26

26 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

The big ? is why is he walking guys at that clip? If you could find a simple fix that allows that K/9 rate to be maintained he's an ideal addition to the back of the bullpen. 

Interesting article: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/07/the-well-timed-breakout-of-jordan-hicks.html

I think Monty is the guy to get. But I worry that he's going to cost more than he's worth in this "seller's market."

He’s definitely a rental and a Boras guy so expensive to keep. Little chance of an after trade extension. I don’t see the Orioles giving up resources to get him. 

A side thought…. He’s had a solid ERAfor 2 plus seasons but very few wins. I’d love to see his run support and if he tends to cough the lead because he sure doesn’t win many games 32 in 80 starts over that period. Sounds like low run support but ….

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Montgomery isn’t really a difference maker. He’s more of a game three SP. Do we trust Hicks?  Those two are more of get you through a 162 games season, rather than win a playoff series. 

I hate t break it to you, but there is very little chance they trade for someone you consider a "difference maker" this season. 

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I hate t break it to you, but there is very little chance they trade for someone you consider a "difference maker" this season. 

Unfortunately, this is my thought as well. 

I think they may view GrayRod as a rotation upgrade + potential bullpen upgrade if they slide a starter to the pen. I also think that Meansy may factor into things down the stretch so I can see why they would hold on acquiring anyone for the rotation who will move the needle. To be fair, if GrayRod can pitch like he's been pitching in Norfolk, he is probably a net upgrade and I'd have to think that a healthy John Means, if he can return to form offers another upgrade. 

3 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Unfortunately, this is my thought as well. 

I think they may view GrayRod as a rotation upgrade + potential bullpen upgrade if they slide a starter to the pen. I also think that Meansy may factor into things down the stretch so I can see why they would hold on acquiring anyone for the rotation who will move the needle. To be fair, if GrayRod can pitch like he's been pitching in Norfolk, he is probably a net upgrade and I'd have to think that a healthy John Means, if he can return to form offers another upgrade. 

I don't know if I'd use the word "unfortunately". Everyone wants a big sexy move, but they rarely happen in season. I'm perfectly fine with them just trying to plug the holes this season then solving the bigger problem during the offseason.