Cardinals are open for business

Sports Guy

2 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

Blaming Flaherty's inconsistencies on health seems like a straw man's argument. He's given up 97 hits in 92 innings and walked 48 batters (which almost leads all of baseball). There's no path to success with those numbers and absolutely no scenario where you trade for (or trust) that type of pitcher to help with a playoff run. 

Well the "straw man's argument" is based on this:

DATE: INJURY

6/24/23: Hip

5/4/23: Hand

6/26/22: Shoulder

4/4/22: Shoulder

8/24/21: Shoulder

5/31/21:Oblique

2023: 6-5, ERA=4.27; 92 IP (on pace for ~170), 89Ks (on pace for ~160), ERA+=100, Average FB velo=93.2

2019: 11-8, ERA: 2.96; 196 IP, 231 Ks, ERA+=152, Average FB velo= 94.5

Of note, he is coming into his age 28 season; he has pitched 40, 78 and 36 innings the last 3 years.

Say what you want about his performance, but I think it is very hard to discount the impact of injuries in this guy.

Edited by Jim'sKid26

2 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

Why? He's given up more hits than IPed and is among the MLB league leaders in walks. There's absolutely nothing in Flaherty's numbers this season that point to him being a pitcher you can depend on and trust. We're talking about ramping up for a playoff run, not trading for a project. If they want to pursue Flaherty in the offseason (and think they can fix him) that's fine, but now isn't the time. 

When i say if "they feel that he can get back to his 2019 production--or at least more his 2021 production", I'm not talking about getting there in a year or two, but this season. If they're confident a small mechanical tweak and/or different pitch mix is the issue, the change could be rather quick. If they're not, then I agree with you. As I said, if the production so far this season is what they expect going forward...I am not interested. 

4 hours ago, jamalshw said:

When i say if "they feel that he can get back to his 2019 production--or at least more his 2021 production", I'm not talking about getting there in a year or two, but this season. If they're confident a small mechanical tweak and/or different pitch mix is the issue, the change could be rather quick. If they're not, then I agree with you. As I said, if the production so far this season is what they expect going forward...I am not interested. 

I think there are places you might pick up a pitcher and provide a tweak that makes a difference. I was under the impression the Cardinals handle their pitching pretty well. 

So you have to trade the rental fee and hope you can immediately transform him into the 2021 version of himself. BTW, he already has more innings since 2019 in half a season. I think expecting the perfect storm is wishful thinking.