Cedric Mullins

boothdos

3 hours ago, johnrambo said:

We will see. You may be right. Cowser has not hit well in the MLB so far. Small sample size though. I will say that all these prospects like Ortiz, Westburg, Cowser, Stowers, Rodriguez, Hall, etc. They all come up and they either struggle initially or they just fail forever. Which is normal. For some reason Orioles fans hate established MLB players. They seem completely oblivious to the fact that sexy Norfolk and Bowie toys almost never outcompete established big leaguers for the job. There is a reason why veteran big leaguers are veteran big leaguers. Guys like Henderson and Rutschman found fast success. But they were the #1 overall prospects in the league. 

How did those veteran players get established, anyway? 

2 minutes ago, Go_Os said:

If you paid attention to Cowser's minor league history you will know that he struggled at first in Aberdeen, Bowie and Norfolk, then got into a groove.  He has been very consistent at all levels.

They aren’t going to bother to read this or any of the other posts that a few of us have made stating this. 

Almost overnight we’ve become so spoiled by the O’s prospect pipeline that if any of them don’t perform immediately when promoted to the big club, then the player isn’t worth a crap and the org made the mistake drafting and developing them, yadda yadda, demote them, etc.   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, owknows said:

For all the obnoxious grumbing... Cowser's OBP is currently third best on the team.

Sometimes it takes awhile to adjust to the pinnacle of the sport.

He's not hurting this team at all while he figures things out.

They are undefeated with him in the lineup.  Isn’t that the argument people keep making for Frazier? That we are winning. 

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

C'mon Can, that's far from well documented.  I guess that explains why Cowser looks awful.  My thinking more along the lines of rookie jitters.  

Am I watching a different game than you? He looks awful?

2 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

We're going to find out.  In the meantime we'll just have to disagree.  Since he hasn't come close to barreling one up since he's been here, maybe I should wait for the first liner.

In yesterdays game, he had 2 hard hit balls, including one going 106MPH.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

They are undefeated with him in the lineup.  Isn’t that the argument people keep making for Frazier? That we are winning. 

I don't think they brought him up to send him back down but it might have been interesting if Mullins hadn't gotten hurt.  

I like the approach.  He looks fine at the plate.

I haven't liked the defense in CF.  He doesn't look like a good CF to me.

He should have caught the ball in the 8th last night; Mullins almost certainly does.

He definitely should have caught the ball in the 9th today.  Certainly the more worrying play, as he took a bad jump AND got his feet tangled up.

9 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I don't think they brought him up to send him back down but it might have been interesting if Mullins hadn't gotten hurt.  

I like the approach.  He looks fine at the plate.

I haven't liked the defense in CF.  He doesn't look like a good CF to me.

He should have caught the ball in the 8th last night; Mullins almost certainly does.

He definitely should have caught the ball in the 9th today.  Certainly the more worrying play, as he took a bad jump AND got his feet tangled up.

I’ll give you that he should have caught that ball today. No doubt. I said it out loud when it fell. I’m not making an excuse for him but for someone like Ced or Hays, who have played afternoon games in the outfield at OPACY in the middle of the summer, that’s an easier play. Again, not an excuse but the sun was like, right in his face. Still, he should have caught it. It’s just not the gimme that some believe because they saw it on tv. 

17 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I’ll give you that he should have caught that ball today. No doubt. I said it out loud when it fell. I’m not making an excuse for him but for someone like Ced or Hays, who have played afternoon games in the outfield at OPACY in the middle of the summer, that’s an easier play. Again, not an excuse but the sun was like, right in his face. Still, he should have caught it. It’s just not the gimme that some believe because they saw it on tv. 

Well he can only be judged by his peers.  That's the standard.

I'm fine with the struggles.  I'm not saying send him down.  I'm just saying the defense hasn't been good.

2 hours ago, owknows said:

They are complicated questions. And exacerbated by the teams tendency to hang on to poor to middling veterans instead of playing their emerging talent.

you can make a credible argument that over late last season and early this..  Odor, Phillips, Owings, Aguilar, and Mateo kept us from finding out what we really have in Vavra, Stowers, Ortiz and even Norby.

I think this front office drafts exceptionally well... but sometimes I question their strategic roster management.

And yet, Rutschman, Henderson, Westburg and Cowser are all here.  Rodriguez is coming back tomorrow.  Stowers, Ortiz and Hall have all been given shots-even if not sufficiently long for some preferences.  And we have the third best record in baseball when many pundits, including some here, expected at least a small step back this year.

I’m sure Elias could have done some  things differently, but I’m not sure the results would be significantly better, if at all.

Edited by NCRaven
  • Upvote 1

I want to see the team take their time in getting him back into the lineup.  That's not a slam on Mullins by any stretch, I just don't want to see him come back and then aggravate the quad again in August or September as we get into the last part of the season.

They need him, but they need him healthy.  If that means they give him a few more days before bringing him back in the timeframe they typically would, I'm good with that.  

I want to see him fully healthy and playing every day, not rushing him back.

Edited by Moose Milligan

4 hours ago, NCRaven said:

And yet, Rutschman, Henderson, Westburg and Cowser are all here.  Rodriguez is coming back tomorrow.  Stowers, Ortiz and Hall have all been given shots-even if not sufficiently long for some preferences.  And we have the third best record in baseball when many pundits, including some here, expected at least a small step back this year.

I’m sure Elias could have done some  things differently, but I’m not sure the results would be significantly better, if at all.

he's had some pretty awesome results. Can't really argue with that. I think he's a great GM.

But you really don't think it would have been better to give last year's 2nd half Odor/Phillips/Aguilar AB's to Vavra, Westburg, and Stowers for example?  Really?

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Some people just love to complain, even in the midst of an 8-game winning streak. 

2 hours ago, owknows said:

he's had some pretty awesome results. Can't really argue with that. I think he's a great GM.

But you really don't think it would have been better to give last year's 2nd half Odor/Phillips/Aguilar AB's to Vavra, Westburg, and Stowers for example?  Really?

Yes, when we traded Mancini and Lopez, that was the time to let the kids play and get them adjusting