Dodgers Series

Moose Milligan

This is the worst-pitching Dodgers team in at least 15 years.   Their offense is pretty fearsome though.   Overall the Dodgers are not the dominant team they’ve typically been over the past decade, but still a very dangerous opponent.  

• Upvote 1

Curious to see Tyler Wells form coming off the big break.

I still have half a thought his role could flex depending on whether its more economical to acquire SP or RP in trade.

If you don't win a division and a bye, there's incentive to funnel all your best pitchers into a tight 48 hour window, lest your season end while Felix Bautista watches Bryan Baker yield a grand slam.

25 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Curious to see Tyler Wells form coming off the big break.

I still have half a thought his role could flex depending on whether its more economical to acquire SP or RP in trade.

If you don't win a division and a bye, there's incentive to funnel all your best pitchers into a tight 48 hour window, lest your season end while Felix Bautista watches Bryan Baker yield a grand slam.

If we acquire a good starting pitcher and move Tyler Wells to the bullpen how is that not a lateral move? We would just be swapping one good starter for another without improving the rotation. And if we move him to a reliever, who do we have that could give us his kind of quality in a postseason scenario? We would just be down one good starter with only one left, no?

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Orioles fans:  WE NEED GOOD STARTING PITCHING

Tyler Wells:  I have a 3.18 ERA and lead the league with a 0.927 WHIP. 

ORIOLES FANS:  YEAH I THINK YOU’RE PROBABLY BETTER OUT OF THE BULLPEN. WHERE CAN WE GET A GOOD STARTER?????

Well, now 3.54 ERA.     Sure the longer we can ride the big man and he pitches well enough, the better, but trying to keep it real on the endurance angle.   We all saw last year, the choice coming out of the break, and now tonight, though he's earned more than a Dodgers mulligan.

@Bemorewins, it wouldn't be a lateral move because a SP good enough to displace him would add to the team strength, and reliever Wells would displace a weak reliever.     Regardless of role, Wells looks to be one of our best 5-6 pitchers - its just the question how you maximize his talent all year.

Say we acquire Eduardo or Snell or Montgomery, Grayson doesn't poop the bed this time, and the other RHP are okay...what's Hyde's move?

Declaring bias, I will grant for the tournament I believe your RP3 and your SP3 aren't that different in importance, and I hope the money going to the world's Rafael Monteros and Zach Eflins wouldn't leave Wells too bothered about any perceived impact on his future earning potential.    

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Well, now 3.54 ERA.     Sure the longer we can ride the big man and he pitches well enough, the better, but trying to keep it real on the endurance angle.   We all saw last year, the choice coming out of the break, and now tonight, though he's earned more than a Dodgers mulligan.

@Bemorewins, it wouldn't be a lateral move because a SP good enough to displace him would add to the team strength, and reliever Wells would displace a weak reliever.     Regardless of role, Wells looks to be one of our best 5-6 pitchers - its just the question how you maximize his talent all year.

Say we acquire Eduardo or Snell or Montgomery, Grayson doesn't poop the bed this time, and the other RHP are okay...what's Hyde's move?

Declaring bias, I will grant for the tournament I believe your RP3 and your SP3 aren't that different in importance, and I hope the money going to the world's Rafael Monteros and Zach Eflins wouldn't leave Wells too bothered about any perceived impact on his future earning potential.    

I feel MUCH MORE CONFIDENT and I mean MUCH MORE relying on Wells the rest of this season than Grayson Rodriguez. Maybe next year or the year after things will be different. But let's be real 1 guy was leading the league in WHIP coming into tonight (though amongst the league leaders in home runs allowed to be fair) the other is among the leaders in OPS against.

What have you seen from Grayson that gives you any kind of confidence that you want him on the mound with the season on the line? The young man has a 7.33 ERA with a 1.75 WHIP. Those numbers are terrible.

If you’re going to lose might as well have your ugliest worst game and hopefully get it out of your system in one night.  Wells worst start.   More poor defense.  Ugly Cionel Perez outing.   No offense.   No problem.

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

I was hoping to go 3-3 vs the Marlins and Dodgers in these 6 games before Rays series.  After the first 3 games it looked great but now it starting to look like 3-3 might happen.  

I was texting with a former coworker Sunday night about this exact point. I had 3-3 as a win against these two teams. Forget yesterday and today and win tomorrow and 4-2 against the Marlins and Dodgers is great. 

Its good we have both.    

My regard for Tyler Wells as one of the 4-5 best pitchers currently on the roster won't be diminished if they make some choices to conserve a valuable resource.     Brad Brach in the booth tonight can maybe tell some stories how useless good pitchers can become if they get overextended.

It is wonderful the season Tyler Wells is having, but I don't believe he's likely to remain better than Grayson Rodriguez except in the short term.     I do believe he's established himself as someone we want all the innings we can get the next few years....just what is that.

I wouldn't have minded Wells not Baker relieving Grayson last night, and having an Eduardo later on this week.

47 minutes ago, banks703 said:

The Dodgers are like 15-5 over their last 20. This is what a legitimate World Series contender does to other teams. They’re good and like half their roster is on the IL. 

Losing last night's winnable game really hurts.  Top teams like the Dodgers aren't just going to let the O's come from behind.