Tejada is back and killing us again!

melankfo

I know Tejada hit a solo homerun last night, which brought the O's closer to the Redsox, but please note that his previous actions had cost them one run on defense and one run on offense, so his homer did not "make up for it." In an early inning he made a wild throw to first, allowing the runner to advance to second, and he eventually scored. (Though only one error was charged, there was another mental error that also hurt -- he called off Gomez on the ground ball, a big mistake as G. had the angle to get there first and would almost certainly have gotten the out at first, saving Trax pitches, etc.) That's the run he cost on defense.

Oddly, no one seemed to pick up on the run he cost on offense. In a middle inning -- I think the 5th-- the O's had runners at first and third with one out and Tejada hit a grounder to the right of the shortstop, Lugo. Lugo had to go over and backhand it, and it would not have been a double play ball -- except that Tejada as usual loafed down the first base line and was doubled up. Otherwise the O's runner at third would have scored. That's the run he cost us on offense. So he added one run through his homer, and cost us two. Fahey or Hernandez probably wouldn't have homered, but they also probably wouldn't have made the double error (actually) at short, or been doubled up on that grounder. Tejada is back and killing us again.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ugh....OH's favorite whipping boy is back in full effect.

Yes, this team would be so much better with Fahey or Hernandez at SS. :rolleyes:

Well, it's obvious those 2 aren't as good as Tejada all around. But, they also don't have the expectations he does. And, when he doesn't live up to them, people will criticize him. It shouldn't be a surprise. He isn't hitting for power. He isn't patient at the plate. He hits into a lot of DPs. He doesn't hustle. He doesn't play that great of defense. So, he gets criticized. When you're the highest paid player on a team and you don't perform, this is what happens. No one (I hope) is saying Fahey/Hernandez are better, but we don't expect them to be. This team wouldn't be better with them, but it would be better with the real Miggy.

Tejada's defense is below par. I stated this before he returned that he should be the DH the rest of the season because his defense is costing the team and helping to create losses in one run games in particular.

Tejada's defense is below par. I stated this before he returned that he should be the DH the rest of the season because his defense is costing the team and helping to create losses in one run games in particular.
Keep spitting out lies like Tejada is a below average SS. Eventually they will come true, but it certainly isn't right now.

This simply isn't true. It's been proven time and time again by every statistical measure out there that Tejada is at least average, and most of the time above average at SS.

When did it become acceptable to make things up out of thin air and pass them off as fact? I respect any and all opinions, but you've got to be able to back them up.

Keep spitting out lies like Tejada is a below average SS. Eventually they will come true, but it certainly isn't right now.

I still think tejada has some value however...tejada has an above average arm...but way below average range...it makes him a very average SS

I still think tejada has some value however...tejada has an above average arm...but way below average range...it makes him a very average SS
His range is below average, but not way below. He gets to more balls in the hole than most SS and obviously has the great arm to make the plays. It may actually just be more positioning than range, as he does play closer to the hole than most b/c he's got the arm to get outs on balls that most of SS watch roll into LF.

And what does very average mean? :)

I've got no problem with justified criticism, but Tejada is the latest guy being subjected to made up crap. I agree that Tejada hasn't run hard many times in the past. Last night was not one of those times.

The "called off" Gomez thing is laughable.

I agree with that. I was just stating that I'm not surprised he's the "whipping boy". People want to blame someone for losses like this, and it's easiest to blame the underachieving super star. Does it get overdone? Absolutely. But, it's what happens when the high-salaried star appears to be playing lazy at times.

His range is below average, but not way below. He gets to more balls in the hole than most SS and obviously has the great arm to make the plays. It may actually just be more positioning than range, as he does play closer to the hole than most b/c he's got the arm to get outs on balls that most of SS watch roll into LF.

And what does very average mean? :)[/quote

lord...very average is just my way of saying how average of a fielder he really is. Look lets be honest...he makes some real stupid plays in the field, but also makes some real nice ones...last night was a great example. He will never become above average in the catagory again, but he still possesses the ability to achieve higher than what he has at the plate

I agree with that. I was just stating that I'm not surprised he's the "whipping boy". People want to blame someone for losses like this, and it's easiest to blame the underachieving super star. Does it get overdone? Absolutely. But, it's what happens when the high-salaried star appears to be playing lazy at times.

If people absolutely must blame someone for losses, how about the players who actually were responsible? I simply get tired of seeing these types of threads after every single loss.

Last night's loss can not be pinned on Tejada. If you must assign blame, look in the direction of Shuey and Parrish.

If people absolutely must blame someone for losses, how about the players who actually were responsible? I simply get tired of seeing these types of threads after every single loss.

Last night's loss can not be pinned on Tejada. If you must assign blame, look in the direction of Shuey and Parrish.

No you're wrong its somehow gotta be blamed on Trembley, or wait Perlozzo. ;)

Oddly, no one seemed to pick up on the run he cost on offense. In a middle inning -- I think the 5th-- the O's had runners at first and third with one out and Tejada hit a grounder to the right of the shortstop, Lugo. Lugo had to go over and backhand it, and it would not have been a double play ball -- except that Tejada as usual loafed down the first base line and was doubled up. Otherwise the O's runner at third would have scored. That's the run he cost us on offense. So he added one run through his homer, and cost us two. Fahey or Hernandez probably wouldn't have homered, but they also probably wouldn't have made the double error (actually) at short, or been doubled up on that grounder. Tejada is back and killing us again.

Not that I want to add to the flames, but even though the Red Sox coverage very well could have showed it differently, the angle that MASN was showing of the play, it really didn't seem like Miggy was running full tilt to make it to 1st. I was hollering at the tv thinking this when I saw the play go down. I am saying this with only seeing the last two seconds of Miggy running to first since they were showing the rest of the play as it unfolded, but this is what I was thinking when I saw it.

That being said, I don't think it was Miggy's fault we lost the game...that solely rests on the bullpen.

Archived