Tejada is back and killing us again!

melankfo

That helps. Runs have to be scored in order to win games.

Errors happen, but he's been surprisingly adequate defensively this season. You've also got it wrong that he called off Gomez. Later posts in this thread explain much better.

Tejada ran that ball out. He didn't loaf. Since Trembley took over, I've personally seen a different level of effort on routine ground balls from him. If you used the term "loafed" to describe Tejada's effort on the play in question, you would be incorrect.

I don't even know if suggesting/implying that Fahey or Hernandez are better options at short compared to Tejada is worth addressing.

This city and its fans have an odd tendency when things go awry to blame the best player on the team. It happened to Eddie Murray. It happened to Cal. Now it's happening on certain levels to Miguel Tejada.

It's just not right. How about the Shuey/Parrish/Bradford implosion last night? How about Jay Payton's lack of patience at the plate? How about any other guy in the lineup that didn't come through with runners on? No? It's Tejada that's killing us. Well, my friend, I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that there are at least 15-20 other Major League teams that would welcome the opportunity to have Tejada "killing" them in for their team.

This is true and I hadn't thought about it. The Murray comp is a good one. But it's not just Baltimore, look at Rodriguez in New York. For whatever reason people blame the best players for not being good enough. Sure, Miguel deserves some criticism but most of the blame is misplaced.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nobody is above criticism, certainly including Tejada. As to Lugo, the Red Sox thought enough of him to sign him for 4 years, $36 mm plus a vesting option for a 5th year. I thought Theo Epstein was a genius and much smarter than our front office?

That, in my opinion, was quite possibly the very worst move made by any team last offseason, including the Huff and Baez contracts and the Red Sox own JD Drew and "Dice-K". There may be some who think Epstein is a genius but I have never, ever been one of them. He has much more money than our front office is given to work with. Take that away and he's nothing.

This is true and I hadn't thought about it. The Murray comp is a good one. But it's not just Baltimore, look at Rodriguez in New York. For whatever reason people blame the best players for not being good enough. Sure, Miguel deserves some criticism but most of the blame is misplaced.
To whom much is given, much is expected.

My goodness I see what the original poster is saying only getting a 931 OPS and 5 RBIs from our SS in the 5 games since his return. You can't win with a lack of production like that from SS:rolleyes: :rolleyes: . What in the world do people want him to do hit a little better than Ted williams a field a little better than Ozzie Smith?

My goodness I see what the original poster is saying only getting a 931 OPS and 5 RBIs from our SS in the 5 games since his return. You can't win with a lack of production like that from SS:rolleyes: :rolleyes: . What in the world do people want him to do hit a little better than Ted williams a field a little better than Ozzie Smith?

5 games does not a season make...

To whom much is given, much is expected.

That's fine. I certainly understand that. It makes sense. But when the pen blows a winnable game and Tejada hits a home run to cut the lead back to one, how does Tejada deserve blame for the loss? :confused: How does Eddie Murray get run out of town for being surly when our team needed all the talent it could get? :confused:

I know the frustration that happens when our best players don't produce at their peak levels but people need to sit back and think before they start threads like these.

The original poster said he is back and killing us. Anybody that can read would think that implied that he has hurt us since he came back. Which can be supported with no facts what-so-ever.

Agreed. I guess I got off topic in this thread. I don't think he is killing us now. I have been (along with others) mostly discussing the blame he gets for everything. But, as of late, I don't see him as the problem.

I know the frustration that happens when our best players don't produce at their peak levels but people need to sit back and think before they start threads like these.

There's a big difference between a player not producing to his peak level and not appearing to be trying. "Tejada is useless because he doesn't hit enough homeruns" is silly. "Tejada is one of our better hitters but I don't appreciate him making errors and not running out grounders," is not. If you sign a 6 year, $72 million contract, you open yourself up to scrutiny. If you play a premium defensive position, you open your defense up to greater scrutiny. Tejada gets paid more than 30 times as much as Paul Shuey. It makes perfect sense that he gets talked about more.

Tejada's not killing us but he would help even more than he does if he would show some better plate discipline.
And Jeremy Guthrie would help us even more if he threw lefthanded.

People need to stop expecting players to perform in ways differently they have for their entire careers. Tejada is a free swinger. There is absolutely nothing wrong with his personal approach. If he tried to change it, he'd likely become a worse overall hitter. The problem is most of the hitters on the team hit that way, not that any one of the hitters on the team hits that way.

And Jeremy Guthrie would help us even more if he threw lefthanded.

People need to stop expecting players to perform in ways differently they have for their entire careers. Tejada is a free swinger. There is absolutely nothing wrong with his personal approach. If he tried to change it, he'd likely become a worse overall hitter. The problem is most of the hitters on the team hit that way, not that any one of the hitters on the team hits that way.

Can you ever not be condescenidng to someone who posts something you don't agree with?

When Tejada had more power, it was easier to take his free swinging. Now with less power he really would help us more if he was more disciplined at the plate.

I strive for being better...I guess you strive for accepting things the way they are. I'll take my outlook over yours anyday.

People need to stop expecting players to perform in ways differently they have for their entire careers.

Yeah, you mean like actually hitting home runs on a consistent basis? Those sure would have helped in a lot of those 1 run games we've lost, don't you think?

Tejada's not killing us but he would help even more than he does if he would show some better plate discipline.

I don't think you'll find anyone disagreeing with that, but the guy is 31 years old and has always been undisciplined. IIRC there's a scene in Moneyball where Beane is watching a game in the team's weightroom and yelling at Miguel on the TV for swinging at bad pitches. He's just in that Vlad/Soriano/Cano type mold where he will swing at balls pretty frequently. I don't think it's going to change at this point in his career. What he really needs is to get his power back so pitchers will stay away from him more. That's why Vlad walks so much, not because he chooses to but because pitchers will pitch around him with pitches even he won't swing at. Miguel's HR last night was hopefully the first of more to come. Wishful thinking, I know. ;)

Archived