Grayson Rodriguez officially gets the call, Bazardo Optioned

Billy F-Face3

58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Everyone wants to remember the last inning but between the heat and the idea he had pitches 3 innings in about 2 weeks, it’s predictable that he wore down.

I think stamina is a big question he’s going to need to outgrow and overcome.  I was there and yes, it was very hot and humid and the air wasn’t moving.   But that’s Baltimore in the summer.  Bradish managed to get through 7 innings in the midday sun on Sunday, Grayson should be able to last more than 85 pitches in a night game.  The O’s babied him in the minors and he’s just not used to pitching deep in games.  He’s going to have to learn how to do that at the major league level.   

• Upvote 2

Just now, Frobby said:

I think stamina is a big question he’s going to need to outgrow and overcome.  I was there and yes, it was very hot and humid and the air wasn’t moving.   But that’s Baltimore in the summer.  Bradish managed to get through 7 innings in the midday sun on Sunday, Grayson should be able to last more than 85 pitches in a night game.  The O’s babied him in the minors and he’s just not used to pitching deep in games.  He’s going to have to learn how to do that at the major league level.   

Yep. He’s from Texas and he’s a big guy, so I’m not worried about this long term but in the short term, especially last night, it’s an issue. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

This is so foolish. He was definitely different last night. He wasn’t “wild in the strike zone”. His breaking pitches looked better. He threw a lot of strikes and got ahead of a lot of hitters.

He had awful defense behind him and Adley (or whoever told Adley what to call) did a poor job of pitch calling on several pitches last night.

Everyone wants to remember the last inning but between the heat and the idea he had pitches 3 innings in about 2 weeks, it’s predictable that he wore down.

Hyde should have removed him as soon any batter reached base, even if they reached base due to an awful play by Hicks. It was still a hard hit, long fly ball.

I would even argue that you remove him even if Hicks catches it.

He also threw basically no cutters, which was the pitch that got him in trouble before. He went to the pitches that work best for him and that was good to see.

He actually didn’t miss a ton of bats or get a lot of Ks but we know that will happen, so I’m not worried about that.

He also didn’t have any of the blow up innings, which plagued him before.

Broadcast mentioned (in 4th or 5th) he had gotten ahead of 11 straight batters.  10 whiffs.  Not terrible, but not great.  His slider was off a bit.  Was throwing the CU to righties in its place.  

If he pitches like last night he’ll be okay.  He might not dominate but I see him holding his own and some quality starts.   He through a lot of first pitch strikes and generally had good command.  The biggest issue is big league hitters are not fooled by his changeup to the same extent as AAA hitters.   Despite having 4-5 pitches, GRod is really a Fastball/changeup guy at this point.  He’s either gotta be great with those two pitches (pretty good last night) or get one of the breaking pitches as a consistent 3rd pitch).   Even with just the 97-100 fastball and changeup I think he’ll be okay from what I saw last night.   

Concerning to me that a #1 pitching prospect has such a drop in  velocity in 3 innings.

I have never understood why the O's so tightly limit the innings/pitches of their "top" prospects in the minors

Is it a coincidence that the guys that succeed in the majors like Means were unheralded and threw more innings/start in the minors

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If he pitches like last night he’ll be okay.  He might not dominate but I see him holding his own and some quality starts.   He through a lot of first pitch strikes and generally had good command.  The biggest issue is big league hitters are not fooled by his changeup to the same extent as AAA hitters.   Despite having 4-5 pitches, GRod is really a Fastball/changeup guy at this point.  He’s either gotta be great with those two pitches (pretty good last night) or get one of the breaking pitches as a consistent 3rd pitch).   Even with just the 97-100 fastball and changeup I think he’ll be okay from what I saw last night.   

I agree.  I think the batters eliminated the slider/curve and were able to look FB while trying to avoid the CU.  

4 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I have never understood why the O's so tightly limit the innings/pitches of their "top" prospects in the minors

Do you think the Rays have been good at developing good pitchers? Because they limit their minor league pitchers far more tightly than the Orioles do. Granted, the Rays also seem to tend to get alot of arm injuries to their pitchers so I wonder if there's some correlation.

4 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Concerning to me that a #1 pitching prospect has such a drop in  velocity in 3 innings.

Is it a coincidence that the guys that succeed in the majors like Means were unheralded and threw more innings/start in the minors

I’ve been watching him pitch for years now and honestly can’t recollect him hitting 101 multiple times.  I think after watching the first inning it was predictable he wouldn’t go deep.  He was a man on a mission to prove a point.  Will be interesting to see how he pitches inning 1 next go round. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I agree.  I think the batters eliminated the slider/curve and were able to look FB while trying to avoid the CU.  

Probably right.  The thing is, if you can locate the fastball it doesn’t matter if they are looking for it.  Our own guys, O’Hearn and Henderson were sitting on fastballs in hitter counts on Sheehan and got tied up on inside fastballs.   So, I think if he can locate the fastball he can survive with the 1-2 punch of the fastball/changeup.     That’s basically what I saw two starts ago in AAA.

15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Probably right.  The thing is, if you can locate the fastball it doesn’t matter if they are looking for it.  Our own guys, O’Hearn and Henderson were sitting on fastballs in hitter counts on Sheehan and got tied up on inside fastballs.   So, I think if he can locate the fastball he can survive with the 1-2 punch of the fastball/changeup.     That’s basically what I saw two starts ago in AAA.

Covering 100 & 87 out of the same tunnel is a big ask for batters.  Definitely something to work with.  When he gets a 3rd pitch going he’s going to be extremely tough. 

2 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

The fact that he was so strong (then the MPH’s dropped) makes me wonder if (for this year) he might be a better fit as a sort of “Fireman” in the pen that would go 1-3 innings and allow him to bring his best stuff on an as-needed basis.

I wouldn’t be against it that if he isn’t able to put up consistent starts by the end of the season. He still has 11 weeks to work things out.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I looked at the game log and Grayson's FIP from last night is 2.88. He got incredibly unlucky. His ERA should be much better than what shows up in the box score.

My opinion is that FIP is a pretty useless stat on a one-game level.  It tells you nothing about whether the batted balls were harmless choppers or rockets to the outfield.  There was a fair amount of quality contact off Grayson last night.