Grayson Rodriguez officially gets the call, Bazardo Optioned

Billy F-Face3

8 hours ago, emmett16 said:

We must have watched two completely different games.  

I was there and sitting really close. He started out the first few innings fine. Been then came the same spiked change ups and uncompetitive pitches. I saw the same guy who is not confident in his 97/98 fastball in big spots (for whatever reason).

I’ll ask you what you saw from him last night that was any different than before he was sent down?

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

The fact that he was so strong (then the MPH’s dropped) makes me wonder if (for this year) he might be a better fit as a sort of “Fireman” in the pen that would go 1-3 innings and allow him to bring his best stuff on an as-needed basis.

No

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

There isn’t a starter in all of baseball that doesn’t throw non competitive pitches in any outing.

That may be true. But he throws so many. For a guy with the tremendous stuff/talent that he has, it baffles me. He has 97/98 but appears gun shy to use it in big situations. It’s almost like he tries to be too cute/finesse or show that he’s not just a “power pitcher”?

I wish/hope that instead of trying to focus on throwing so many types of pitches in his arsenal and focus so heavy on varied pitch shape, that he learns/is willing to choose 3/4 and focus more on commanding them.

IMO he would be so much better off if he would pitch off of his fastball. And focus on commanding that pitch. 

Let the Kyle Gibson’s of the world focus on having 6/7 pitches as he tries to scrape by with his mediocre ability/talent. Grayson doesn’t need to try to trick opposing batters so much, his talent is incredible.

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Well if they're going to have 2 or 3 starters like Cole Irvin, Austin Voth, and occasionally Bruce Zimmerman in the bullpen, then they should plan in using them and piggy backing. Otherwise those guys sitting in the bullpen are going to waste 

Those kind of guys are part of what needs to be upgraded if we are going to win this but yeah they can be used that way sure 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

If he pitches like last night he’ll be okay.  He might not dominate but I see him holding his own and some quality starts.   He through a lot of first pitch strikes and generally had good command.  The biggest issue is big league hitters are not fooled by his changeup to the same extent as AAA hitters.   Despite having 4-5 pitches, GRod is really a Fastball/changeup guy at this point.  He’s either gotta be great with those two pitches (pretty good last night) or get one of the breaking pitches as a consistent 3rd pitch).   Even with just the 97-100 fastball and changeup I think he’ll be okay from what I saw last night.   

He can be outstanding with what he has if he improves the fastball command. He should be fastball, change up, slider and occasional curveball. Or at least 2 of those secondaries. His change up is kind of hard, like most guys are in today’s game. So, maybe the change up and slider are so off redundant? Especially if he can’t command them for strikes. Is the arch on the break/pitch shape different enough on those two that it makes a big difference to the batter? I don’t know the answer to that.

Ultimately, he will be fine IMO, but it may not click this year. It may take some refining work in the offseason and next Spring studying himself to see what works for him at this level.

1 minute ago, johnrambo said:

How the hell does a 23 year old completely run out of gas like that with a low pitch count? When I was 23 I could go all day and night long. In more ways than one. Now I'm in my 30s and I've got more stamina than this kid. Pathetic.

Says the guy with his new Hims subscription.

• Haha 1

I think he is going be a solid piece to our rotation in the second half.  Anyone expecting the second coming should probably temper expectations.  It should of been expected for him to be amped up and rusty last night.  He had a short 3 inning start before the break and hasn't pitched in a couple weeks so lets give him a chance to build back up.  I personally think he has turned a corner and expect him to get a little better with each start.

32 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I was there and sitting really close. He started out the first few innings fine. Been then came the same spiked change ups and uncompetitive pitches. I saw the same guy who is not confident in his 97/98 fastball in big spots (for whatever reason).

I’ll ask you what you saw from him last night that was any different than before he was sent down?

He got ahead of the majority of batters he faced.  11 in a row at one point.  He was throwing 101mph.  His change up was unhittable.  He induced a lot of weak contact.  

26 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

He can be outstanding with what he has if he improves the fastball command. He should be fastball, change up, slider and occasional curveball. Or at least 2 of those secondaries. His change up is kind of hard, like most guys are in today’s game. So, maybe the change up and slider are so off redundant? Especially if he can’t command them for strikes. Is the arch on the break/pitch shape different enough on those two that it makes a big difference to the batter? I don’t know the answer to that.

Ultimately, he will be fine IMO, but it may not click this year. It may take some refining work in the offseason and next Spring studying himself to see what works for him at this level.

Huh? His fastball sits 98 and his CU is 86/87.   He throws his CU arm side with arm side movement.  He throws his slider glove side with glove side movement.  You have completely lost me.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

He got ahead of the majority of batters he faced.  11 in a row at one point.  He was throwing 101mph.  His change up was unhittable.  He induced a lot of weak contact.  

You didn’t see a lot of spiked change ups? The second time through the order the Dodger hitters started eliminating that pitch and really the slider too. 

He was strike 1 to a lot of batters. But with that pitch arsenal you describe “101 with an unhittable change up” do you think that should have resulted in more K’s than 4?

Look at the end of the day, I’m rooting for the guy like everyone else. But I tend to be more realistic in my expectations and try to be fair/objective in my assessments. I didn’t see with my own two 43 year old (non professionally trained) eyes a guy who was dominating. Bradish dominated on Sunday and it was readily apparent to me that he was in complete control. Grayson is a young kid learning how to pitch at this level. I wish that more fans would accept that/be honest about that instead of trying to pencil him in as a playoff starter this year (not saying that you are doing any of that). IMO he is not ready for that right now.